Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on September 19, 2013
I read the only two reviews for the book before purchasing it. What I got out of them was that the structure of the book was not great, and that it's hard to "follow along" with coding in the book, as it's never explicitly stated which file should be placed where or named what. Considering I was just trying to wrap my head around general MVC structure as it pertains to PHP projects, I thought I'd be able to at least get some theory out of the book. I wasn't looking to write an entire extensible framework from the ground up--just trying to understand best practices for deploying MVC in PHP. There's gotta be SOMETHING I can utilize in this book, right?

In short: not really.

The book's problem is that it drills too far down into topics, complicating them to the point of incomprehensibility, without explaining exactly WHAT we're trying to do, or WHY we need to complicate things in such a way. Would it be so difficult to explain at the beginning of the book what the overall picture is going to look like before we have thousands of lines of code thrown at us? A couple pages detailing how our configuration, caching, registry, routing, template, database, and model classes will be working together to go from a request to an actual view--that doesn't seem like it's asking for much. And yet here I am, struggling to understand how everything links together. Am I really expected to flip back five chapters and skim 1000 lines of code that I barely understood when I read them two days ago to find how one thing links to the other? Such a structure is unforgiving, to say the least.

I've read plenty of PHP/OOP books before coming to this one. I started out with PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition) for the basics, then PHP Objects, Patterns and Practice (Expert's Voice in Open Source) and Head First Design Patterns for OOP and design patterns. I'm about to start PHP Object-Oriented Solutions. Suffice it to say that, while not an "expert" on PHP/OOP/design patterns by any stretch of the imagination, I'm at least starting to understand how everything is supposed to link together. At least, I thought I did, until this book. Now I'm more confused than ever.

I might skim this book again in the future to see if it makes more sense on repeated readings, but for now, I'm just going to shelve it and head back to the Enterprise Patterns chapter of "PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice." It might not give me the code for a complete framework, but it's at least readable.
on October 8, 2013
I read lots of programming books, but this book has advanced my knowledge.
What you will find in this book can be learnt (the hard way) from reading source codes of professional open source project,but this book brings all what you need in an easy organized way for learning purposes, so you will get what other people has struggled learning.
on May 1, 2014