Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 755 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 829 reviews
on October 23, 2015
My $60 yard sale elliptical finally gave up the ghost and I went looking for a replacement. After nearly a week of searching, of actually going to Wal-Mart to buy a machine only to find that the Wal-Marts in my area no longer carry exercise equipment in store and then finding the reviews that would have made me instantly regret my original choice, I found this machine on Amazon.

I like the Prime shipping, especially after seeing the shipping costs. I was not that impressed by the cycle option, but, hell, the entire machine costs a good deal less than I expected to pay, so I concentrated on what it is.

1) It's an elliptical, which is what I want
2) It's inexpensive, which is what I want
3) It's got a higher weight limit than is standard, which is what I want
4) It does not require AC current, which is what I want
4) It has 14 resistance levels, which is more than I want but that's cool
5) It allows me to rest my Kindle HDX on a board between the handle bars so I can watch video while I work out, which is what I want
6) It does not take up a lot of room, which is what I want
7) It's quiet enough that I can hear my video with my headphones, which is what I want
8) It counts revolutions rather than distance, which is not what I want but can live with
9) It's got a 15" stride which is shorter than I want but I can live with it
10) It's got more of what I want than what I don't want.

Assembly was fairly straightforward. I am methodical so I unpacked all pieces before I started and made certain I had the right tools. From start to finish, it took just a bit over two hours for me to put the thing together. This included several interruptions and phone calls because it is the universal rule that no one needs to talk with you until you are in the middle of something else.

I heeded the advice given concerning lithium grease and had a can on hand during assembly. Whenever the instructions called for grease, I used it and tossed the included packet. After assembly and tightening and use of a few days, I am not hearing any squeaks. It might be the lithium grease I used, it might be my superior assembly skills, or it may be my inhuman strength and ability that has caused mere bolt tightening to become the equivalent of an industrial weld. Pick the one which makes me most attractive in your eyes.

My first time using the machine, I selected the highest resistance level, 14. I did this because I have used elliptical for several years now and, typically, set the resistance level high. Or I did it because I made the assumption that this low cost machine would barely make me sweat.

Either way, I was wrong. Now I use level 7 and am dripping in sweat at the end of 45 minutes.

This is a solid piece of equipment and I would recommend it.

Now, it ain't magic and you will have to actually use it consistently before you will see results but that's how life is. You just can't show up one day and demand the world cater to your whim and then stomp off when it refuses and come back a couple of months later claiming you made a mistake and then get angry when you are turned away.

But, I'm not bitter.
review image
33 comments| 270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2014
Okay, so I've had this machine for almost exactly 3 years now. First off, sorry, I forgot to caption my pictures. Those are the places where I needed to squirt in some WD-40 due to the squeaking. It sounded like I was running over squirrels. I placed paper towels under that front part of the bike & liberally squirted WD-40 in and around that plate and that helped for a while. Okay....so 3 years later. The exerciser has held up, but now the frame seems to be a bit wiggly when used on the elliptical setting. I'm going to have my husband tighten up the bolts before I use it again. It's just fine on the recumbent setting. I've stopped using the timer/LCD screen as it sucks batteries like crazy. But you can use it just fine without the screen on. The only thing I *wish* it had is some sort of strap or way to position an iPad or Kindle on the part with the LCD screen. I like to watch a show while I'm peddling and it gets monotonous just staring at the wall. But this isn't a deal breaker, just my preference when I exercise. I'm still very satisfied with this machine, it fits my body size well. My husband decided that he doesn't like running indoors and just continues to run outside. I still recommend this machine for people who want to keep fit but are not heavy trainers. For that kind of workout you would want a gym membership or a much heavier duty machine. Thanks to all those who wished me well regarding my spinal surgery!! I'm doing very well now. :o)

I've been looking for a new piece of exercise equipment for a few months, as I had spinal fusion surgery this past summer and was told by my orthopedic surgeon that I need to exercise regularly to get my back muscles back into shape. I had an old exercise bike for quite a few years, but trying to pedal without lumbar support was terrible. I've looked at quite a few elliptical machines and recumbent bikes (both on amazon & the local sporting goods store) but either the price was too high or the settings were too difficult for a novice. After reading a lot of the reviews I took a chance on this piece of equipment (the price was great, 2 for the price of 1) and the fact that most people complained about a "short stride" on the elliptical setting sold me. I am 5'2" (about 115 lbs.) but I have fairly short legs and an even shorter stride. Most of the machines I tried at the sporting goods store had strides so huge that I felt like I was going to get thrown off into the wall!! So here are some of the things I encountered after ordering this trainer (sorry if my list is a little long, but I wanted to give answers to a lot of questions I had before ordering):

*It took 7 days to receive the purchase (I used the free shipping so I was expecting about a week to receive the order).

*The box is HUGE (according to the UPS man 125+ lbs.) luckily I have a nice UPS man who rang my doorbell and asked where I wanted the box stored. He wheeled it right into the garage. My husband was able to unpack the box in the garage and bring the pieces up separately.

*It took exactly 2 hours for my husband to put it together, and that includes looking for a piece that happened to be missing. He's not the handiest guy but he's put together his fair share of IKEA furniture. ;o) We also had all of the necessary tools, phillips head screwdriver, rubber mallet, a ratcheting screwdriver set/wrench set. You also need 4 AA batteries for the LCD screen.

*The pieces were actually packed in a coherent manner. I'm sure you've tried to put together furniture where none of the pieces are labeled and/or all of the hardware is thrown together in a baggie. The large pieces were labeled left & right with stickers and the hardware was all prepackaged on a cardboard sheet and labeled with the size/piece # of each screw and nut.

*One caveat, however, my husband had to do a lot of contorting around on the floor to get the trainer put together. Not all of the screw holes were in convenient areas on the machine! He also stated that it seemed each nut only fit one particular screw, some went on easy and some not so much. His theory is that the company makes it "just hard enough" to put together that you think about saving yourself time by hiring someone to put it together!

*We found a piece was missing, one of the seat handlebars. We were able to put it together without the piece. We also found 2 extra pieces that don't even belong to this machine...weird. I called customer service, waited about 15 minutes on hold, but spoke with a very polite and friendly lady who ordered the part for me. Hooray! She didn't seem surprised when I told her that one part was omitted from the package while we received 2 parts that we don't need for this machine.

*I tried the recumbent setting first. You have to lift each pedal, unfold the brace that is underneath and insert it into the pedal carriage. It's not difficult to do once you are looking at it--one of our pedal braces was pretty hard to unfold and we needed to loosen the screw some to get it moving. After that it was easy to fold & unfold. You also have to pivot the console, so you can see it while you bike, also not hard to do. If you need to adjust the foot pedals you just loosen the pedal knob and slide the pedal forward or backward on the pedal leg.

*For someone who has had very involved back surgery, the recumbent seat is pretty comfortable. No, it does not adjust but you can adjust the foot pedals and put a small pillow behind your back if you need extra lumbar support (which is what I did).

*I easily switched the trainer back to the elliptical setting (I was able to leave the pedals in the same position as the recumbent), so it was just folding the braces back up into the pedals & pivoting the console straight again. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*Again, I have shorty legs so I thought the stride was just fine for me. Also, I was pretty much wheelchair bound by the time I had my back surgery...prior to that I had so much nerve pain in my legs that I couldn't do many day to day activities (i.e. drive, play on the floor with my 2 year old, sit or stand comfortably). I was never a competitive runner or athlete so when I was looking for a new exercise machine, I needed something basic, not too fancy, something that will provide good back support and a machine that would fit my petite size. Take this into consideration. If you are a marathon runner or are built (and workout) like a professional NFL player then this trainer probably isn't for you! But if you want something that is a decent "home machine" then I recommend the hybrid trainer.

*I'll have to make an update after my husband uses the trainer (he's 6'2" and about 200 lbs.) and let you all know what he thought of the stride. **He used the trainer the other day and said that the shorter stride didn't bother him enough to make a difference in his exercising. But after he used it, it started to squeak some...**

So overall, a good purchase for me, and I hope this answers any questions anyone may have!
review image review image
77 comments| 585 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2016
I am thrilled with this product. Package is very heavy (about 125 lbs), so I enlisted help to bring it up the stairs to my den a few pieces at a time. Every piece was carefully wrapped and clearly labeled. I am a 58-yr-old woman with bad knees, and I put this together by myself in 2 hours. Instructions were very easy to follow and parts were clearly labeled. The screws and tools were conveniently sorted and labeled in its own package (see picture). They even included the grease needed. I did need a hammer and scissors at times. It was wonderful to have all the parts, everything labeled, good instructions, and most of all good heavy duty materials. The only thing I'm the slightest bit disappointed in is the cushioning of the seat. It would be nice if they had a heavier padding. It's like sitting on a piece of wood after 10 minutes. The display is easy to read and it has speakers for your iPod or iPad to connect to via proper cable. There are a number of settings for changing the exercise program and tension of movement. The elliptical mechanism is nice and heavy/sturdy and very smooth. Easy peasy to change from biking to walking, and seat adjusts for short or long legs. So glad I purchased this model. It was a big plus that the packaging was as excellent as the product itself. Now I plan to get my knees back in good shape using this machine that is so easy on them.
review image
on March 3, 2013
This product arrived in just one gigantic box the size of a small refrigerator. The UPS guy had extreme difficulty getting it up the stairs in front of the house and we had to go out and help him. It took the 2 of us 4 hours to put it together on a Saturday afternoon. I have assembled many products out of boxes and this was by far the most difficult one. If you have a power screw driver it might help. You should also consider paying a handyman to do the assembly for you. The product comes with an 800 number to call for a professional assembly but I am sure it will cost quite a bit. We were unable to get the heart rate monitor to work so I will try to use the manufacturer's warranty for that. Keep in mind that it will be very difficult to return this product due to it's weight and repacking challenges. We had to put a lamp near the trainer because the monitor has no back light. The trainer is completely silent and works well. The conversion from one to the other requires the removal of a hard to turn piece so you may have to keep some pliers handy.

If you are really motivated for in home exercise that you can't go wrong with this hybrid trainer. I removed one star for the very difficult assembly. If the trainer could be delivered completely assembled I would give it 5 stars for sure. Very sturdy material and looks great in just about any room. Used it a few times so far and love it.

UPDATE: Apparently it is impossible to use the manufacturer's warranty. I tried calling Proform and was on hold for 30 minutes before a live person answered. He then put me on hold for another 15 minutes and hung up. The same thing happened a second time. I called Amazon Customer Service and the Rep was treated the same way. His Manager also tried and was unsuccessful. I was told that Amazon may delete this item from the website until this problem can be resolved. The warranty is only for 90 days anyhow and Proform is apparently trying to discourage the customers from using it until the warranty expires.

UPDATE: The shipping weight of this product is 148 pounds according to the UPS label. The Amazon description has the wrong shipping weight.

UPDATE: It has been 6 weeks since the delivery and still no repairs. Every time I call the parts are on back order.

UPDATE: It is now over 2 months and I am still unable to get any service for the trainer. Parts were on back order all this time but have finally been received. Now the problem is the authorized service agent - Mac Services. Each time I call Mac there is no answer and I just get voice mail.
3535 comments| 918 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2017
NOTICE: The 5 year warranty covers the frame. I can tell you the frame won't break. What WILL break is the tiny little motor. That is ONLY covered for 90 days. I bought mine in August and it's dead. Cost to get a new motor $89. Then after paying 25% of the original purchase price you can attempt to replace the motor yourself. DON'T WASTE YOUR $$$. It did not last even 6 months and they want more money so I can repair it myself.

I will never recommend this piece of junk to anyone. I will start taking it a part and putting in the trash piece by piece. JUNK!

Read the fine print 90 DAY WARRANTY of cheap equipment.
on October 22, 2016
I love this product. It is easy to use and I can use it anytime 24 hrs a day. When I have trouble sleeping (which I often do) I get on the trainer and use it for 10 to 15 minutes and sleep like baby afterwards. I decided to purchase this instead of a gym membership and feel it was a very good decision for my needs. I personally was not able to put it together because I'm handicapped but my 19 year old neighbor had no problem putting it together.
on October 7, 2014
We have owned this machine for 6 months now and it has been a hit in our house. My wife is the one whom uses it and she has lost over 20 lb since beginning her regiment on the hybrid trainer. She mainly uses it in the bicycle conformation and rides for approximately one hour, 4 to 6 times per week.

There are several features of this equipment which work well for us. First, it is comfortable enough for my wife to sit on for an hour straight, as described earlier. I have used it for 30 min on a couple of occasions (I am not a fan of stationary aerobic equipment) and, after adjusting the pedals so that I am sitting upright, have also found it comfortable enough to watch a TV program. Which brings me to my second positive feature, the size. Our home is relatively small (1250 sq ft) but the impact on our living room is small enough to make the bike a permanent fixture near the television. The unit seems sturdy, as I can ride the machine (I am 245 lb) in both the bike and the elliptical conformations without any fear of unbalancing it. The machine runs very quietly- my wife bikes at 5am and wakes no one in the house except the dogs.

I believe the machine is a great value overall and recommend it to anyone looking for a cost-effective cardiovascular exercise in the home. The only slightly negative comment I have for it is that the display comes on whenever the fulcrum is engaged. This uses the batteries in the display panel. So any time a kid or another person comes in, they seem to automatically have the urge to rotate the handles, draining the batteries. In six months of regular use, we are on our second set of batteries.

I am sure there are better machines out there, but this unit is great for the price we paid (approx $350) Just remember that buying a machine doesn't help you lose weight. Using it does.
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2015
Well it was an impulse buy and it's my own fault for not doing thorough research until after I ordered it. It makes sense with the design, however the one thing that I wish you could do is adjust the incline of the ecliptical part of the machine. Not the case although you can adjust the resistance. A few notes on the design and the process of putting it together. It takes longer than expected. Very carefully remove all of the parts from the box as you may unintentionally discard the grease and if you do not grease the machine it will be the purchase you forever resent. On the same note, it does not include enough grease. You want to apply generously but sparingly due to the small amount supplied (if that makes any sense). When converting from elliptical to bike the metal pieces you use to prop up the pedals can be very difficult to maneuver especially at first. I do wish you could fold down the arms when not in use so when using the bike I can view the tv but it's not a make or break. A shelf would be nice as well for easier reading when on the elliptical. I must say the transit didn't do anything beneficial to the machine but no major components were broken, only some caps that I don't consider critical to replace.
For the price I paid it was worth every penny but some design flaws like adjusting the pedals from one exercise to another is why I swiped the star.
on May 28, 2016
I'm 5'2 and 180lbs. The bike worked like a charm, the elliptical worked with some adjustments. The elliptical is for strength, not speed. High setting, tighten your core and stand straight. It won't buck you off. If you try a low resistance and throw your weight around, you will hate it. I lost 25 lbs in 2 months using this 1 hour every morning (with healthy eating.)
on January 18, 2017
Assembly went well; used lots of grease where instructed and had no squeaks. Plenty of grease was included. Operated smoothly and quietly. Used fairly heavily for 7 months, and then three minutes into my last workout on it, the resistance motor failed. My usual resistance level was 14, and when I upped it to that level after a brief warmup, it made a clicking noise and it became almost impossible to push the pedals. Customer support said 90-day warranty had expired, but offered to sell me the motor for $70. That's a reasonable price, but then I researched how to install it, and it looked nightmarishly complex. Would take hours, and I'd also have to make adjustments to cables, etc. In short, I doubt the thing would ever be the same again even if I could complete the major surgery. Instead, I just put it on the curb and ordered a basically disposable recumbent bike from Walmart as a replacement. My advice: if you buy this thing and want to be assured it will work for more than a year or two, you MUST factor in another $150 for the extended warranty or risk having a useless hunk of metal to drag to the curb.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.