Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Proctor Silex 22608Y Cool-Wall Toaster
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on March 21, 2010
For Everyone Looking for Toasters Based on Reviews..

If you are using this Toaster for a big family... I would give it 3 stars. Takea about 60-90 seconds for a Bagel.. Which I think is Fine. Its golden brown the way I like it and taste great. Easy clean.. BUT, I honestly Don't think this toaster Can handle Work over and over..

Why i have it 5 stars. I use this toaster For MYSELF only. 1-3 times a day. Works GREAT. No issues what so ever. I let it toast 2-3 times before I put food in it as i first got it to let the New smell burn out.
Bagels come out good. Bread nicely toasted. BOTH SIDES toasted.

If you are a college student, single, or plan on using a toaster 1-3 times a day for simple items.. This toaster is WELL worth the 20.00. Best cheap toaster I have used.

Hope this review helped.

Been using for a little less than a month now.
0Comment| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2010
Tired of living with toasters that won't fit a slice of Jewish rye bread, I went in search of an affordable toaster with longer slots. Most toasters these days have slots that are wide enough to handle bagels, but in order to toast rye bread, you have to toast it sideways, toasting one half and then flipping it over to toast the other half. The result is usually overdone in the middle, underdone on both ends. The slots on this toaster are 5-3/4" long, which is between 1/4" and 3/4" longer than others I've seen. Works great so far! Just like toasters from the 1960's, it has to be cleaned over the sink. A removable crumb tray would make cleaning a bit easier. Unlike toasters from the 1960's, it's made in China, so I hope it lasts.

-------------

Update 06/26/2012: Toaster still works great for me! My favorite rye bread fits perfectly in the longer slots. However, some Jewish rye bread slices are larger than 5-3/4", so you may want to measure a slice of your favorite bread before ordering.
33 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2008
If a person wants a basic toaster, this is it. It works like a charm. It toasts both sides very evenly for great color. It adjusts for either bread or bagels. It is Consumer Report's # 3 for best picks under it's previous model number.
It doesn't have a quick release which I'm getting used to very quickly, now that I know it doing what it's supposed to every time.
on April 29, 2011
Who cares what the quality of the toast might be if you burn your arm or catch your sleeve on fire trying to unplug the thing because you can't pop up burning toast? This is absolutely the worst toaster I have ever seen in my life. It is virtually unusable as a toaster. The cord is attached to the front of the toaster where the controls are & is only 22 inches long. You lose about 13 inches of that running along the side to the back to plug it in right behind the slots and puts the toaster under any curtains and too close to painted walls.

The load control is difficult to use. It has no easy way to press it down from the top. You have to grab the toaster with one hand to hold it in place & hook your finger into a slippery nearly invisible indentation & pull it down with the other hand.

Toast burns because you can't read the black symbols on the black cover to see what your settings are. If toast burns there's no way to pop it up without reaching your arm across the hot top of the toaster to unplug it unless you turn the toaster around backwards to pull the unit away from the outlet. Due to this burn hazard there is no way Underwriters Lab would pass this. It has no rating. It should be taken off the market.

I find the positive reviews inconceivable unless they are using the wrong model number or a different design of the same number. I am reviewing 22608 just to be clear. If I could give this piece of junk zero stars, I would.
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2009
This does a pretty good job of toasting. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no release button to pop-up your toast early. And because of the way it is designed, it is hard to push up on the arm without touching a hot part of the metal.
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2011
I received this toaster and was very disappointed in it, The toaster won't let us pop it up manually like it says you can, we have to unplug it to get it to pop up... sometimes the settings toast wrong... either to light or too dark.. won't recommend it to anyone.
on November 23, 2008
This toaster broke after just a short period of use. The temperature setting dial broke and it doesn't work anymore. Worked OK when it worked, but due to flimsy manufacturing it will not last long. You get what you pay for for $15 right? I'd recommend one spend the extra $10 and get a sturdier construction and longer-lasting toaster.
on December 13, 2010
I'm not returning this since I am very old and use this seldom, it's not worth sending back and trying another. But I certainly would not buy it again. Get this: the cord, which is short, comes out of the FRONT. Talk about poor design. It doesn't cancel easily, either. If you try to lift the depressor (? don't know what to call that thing) the whole toaster lifts, since it's so light and the thing is so hard to pull up. I can't believe Cons Reports rated this well, I usually find them very reliable.
on June 5, 2010
This toaster does what it is supposed to do, toasts bread of all thicknesses, evenly on both sides, even when the bread is frozen. It is easy to operate, and very consistent. Previously I had an expensive super whiz-bang toaster from a fancy European manufacturer with all kinds of fancy controls and it produced the worst toast ever. This one, at a quarter of the price, is far superior. I love it!
on June 22, 2010
I was pleased when my expensive, German, virtually useless toaster died so I could get this one without guilt. Toasts bread evenly, which is all I ever wanted a toaster to do. Lesson learned.