Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 25, 2013
After being accustomed to the too-hot-cooking Crock-Pot branded cookers for several years, it was nice to find that this Proctor-Silex item is a TRUE slow cooker; meaning, it provides the extended, low-heat conditions that produce wonderful, tender and flavorful results. No longer will you have the unwanted rapid-boiling that can occur with other models. I also find that the 4-quart size is great for our small two-person family, yielding just enough for several pairs of servings without having to wastefully dump out food from having cooked a too-large batch. And as you can see from the price, this model is a champion when it comes to VALUE...especially if you get free shipping through Amazon Prime or an alternate ship-free promotion.

The only minor quibbles (and the reason it gets 4 out of 5 stars) is the following: The edge of the glass lid and the rim of the crock do not meet in a flush, flat seal -- there can be small gaps, due to the crock rim not being totally level. And, besides that, the diameter of the glass lid is a slight bit smaller than optimal to generously cover the crock's rim, resulting in the need to meticulously center the smaller-diameter lid onto the crock, in order to avoid even more air gaps. These are very minor concerns, however, and the more I think about it, I suspect that these slight air gaps might just be the reason why this model cooks so...perfectly...unlike the others on the market which cook too hot and too quickly.

As a last bit of nitpicking, you can certainly find more attractive slow cookers with fancier colors, designs and patterns out there -- this one is a bit of a Plain Jane. And of course, there's no ON light, nor is there an auto-shutoff mode (however if you simply must have auto-shutoff you can add this feature by buying a separate programmable timer unit for your wall outlet). But, all things considered, the most important feature you'll want in your next slow cooker is the ability of the unit to cook foods correctly on low heat -- and on that issue this unit succeeds where many other modern slow cookers fail. So, allow me to invite you to order your new slow cooker right away, then go look up a recipe for some nice Oxtail Soup, load up the ingredients, go busy yourself for 8 or 10 hours...and come home to a hot homemade feast to warm your insides!
22 comments| 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 7, 2016
I generally hesitate to leave negative feedback, but this was a completely defective product. Perhaps it's not the norm, given others' positive experiences, but our slow cooker barely heated our soup. After four hours on high, the temperature registered at 133 F, as you can see from the picture. I checked again half an hour later to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and the soup was still lukewarm.
review image
0Comment| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2017
**UPDATE**

Sadly, after just two more uses (5 total) this crock pot is now garbage. I left it on high for 3 hours making soup and when I went to check on it the potatoes were still hard as a rock and the liquid was barely hot. I used the exact same recipe the first time I used this crock pot and didn’t understand what was going on. I let it go for another two hours but it made no difference. I tested the temperature and the thermometer read 123° after 5 hours of cooking on high! I ended up pouring it into a stock pot and cooking it on my stove. Lesson learned, don’t buy cheap crock pots or at least don’t buy this one.

******

I've used this three times since I got it about a month ago and it works extremely well. It's a pretty basic crock pot but I didn't need anything fancy. The stoneware is dishwasher safe (music to my ears) which makes cleanup pretty easy. The outside of the crock pot does get hot which may be a concern if you have kids but otherwise this is a great deal for the money.
on November 30, 2012
This Crock Pot is so much nicer than the other one in the same price range here. I bought a Rival Crock Pot at Walmart, that overheated, had a bad fitting lid and low was a boil.

This little baby arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier. It has a warm setting, doesn't leak or spit like the other one did, and heated right up to right temperature right away. It even has a Warm setting so I can leave my soup on all day without overcooking.

Buy this Crock Pot, you will be glad you did!
22 comments| 261 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
When I decided to buy a slow cooker from Amazon the geeky part of me wanted to get fancy displays and program capability. Then my practical side kicked-in and I realized all that fancy stuff will not make the food taste better. I saw this Proctor-Silex slow cooker while researching the right crock pot for someone who lives alone. All the excellent ratings and the very low price made this a obvious best value. In short I think it fits that description with some minor points.

The first couple of meals I cooked seemed to take unexpectedly long; up to twice what the times the menus suggested. Recently the cooker begin coming in right on time. I've no explanation why but cooking times fit recipes for the last couple of meals. Maybe there was something that just needed breaking in?

I am completely happy with the P-S 33043. The 4 quart size is right for someone who lives alone or a couple. I can cook a hearty meal and leftovers for several days. Slow cooking infuses spices nicely into what I've cooked so far (a beef roast, turkey wing stew, and a whole chicken with veggies).

Cleanup is very easy and so far no issues like those reported in some other reviews with the finish of the crockery.

I've only had it for a little while so I'll be updating the review as I learn more.

I give it 5 stars as it fits my needs just about perfectly.

Update
It's a little soon for an update but I just took a taste of the boneless leg of lamb with Garlic, Lemon and Rosemary I've been cooking all day. Wow, is it good! The gluten-free recipe is from The Everything Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cookbook and it is just about ready. It has taken a little longer than I expected but I allowed for this. Maybe I got one with a less "high" setting for "high".

One thing is certainly true - all those tech bells and whistles and displays that are on some other slow cookers aren't needed. The one thing I would like on the Proctor-Silex 33043 is a light indicating it's turned on. But even that is just a nit. Happy cooking and eating!

Update
I've cooked many delicious meals in my Proctor Silex Slow cooker. When I got the opportunity to try out a high end ($220 list) slow cooker at no charge I was thrilled. Would it be 11 times better than my trusty Proctor Silex?

When I tested the 360 Cookware Gourmet Slow Cooker, 4-Quart I realized it wasn't just a slow cooker but a high-end stock pot and heating base. If you are interested in a premium stock pot with a base that makes it a very good slow cooker, and you've got the money to invest it may be worth a look.

I did have meals come out better in the 360 Slow Cooker but I didn't think it was 11 times better. If you are just interested in a slow cooker the Proctor Silex does well at less than 10% of the cost.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

I give it 5 stars as it fits my needs just about perfectly.

on September 4, 2017
Works great. Annoying that they couldn't even put an LED light indicator for the on/off switch, but the price point is kinda ridiculous so I can't complain. The top does not seal (no rubber lining) as well as my previous more expensive Hamilton Beach, but another reviewer claimed this was all part of the magic so I am going to drink that koolaid.
on October 19, 2017
Recently moved and the movers dropped the well padded box of kitchen items so needed to replace the smaller crock pot we had.
Protor-Silex puts out a good brand but this one looks like it has lights above the knob so you know its on - except they don't light up which is slightly confusing. There is also mention in the instructions of a securing top lock that wasn't in the box or any place for it. Might be an add on?
Still works well and doesn't bounce around on temperature while cooking.
on March 20, 2016
It worked beautifully for one month or 7-8 uses. I treated it very gently and washed it carefully by hand. Sadly, I just noticed it is cracked. I expected a longer life for this!
on June 15, 2017
This was the best $18 Ive ever spent on a kitchen item. It cooks dried bean dishes in just a few hours on high. Its not a large crock, I would say its a medium, but I still can put a whole good size chicken in it and is enough for my little family of 3. The lid doesn't fit snuggly so I just throw a hand towel over the top and it cooks even faster.