Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,223 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,450 reviews
on April 13, 2015
I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there is a potentially dangerous design flaw related to this grinder. Whatever internal mechanism is used to wind up the power chord has the potential to strip the insulation from it in a particular spot about 2 inches from the base. See the picture I attached. I have used this grinder regularly for about 3 years and just noticed this. I would recommend everyone checks their grinder's chord for damage and be gentle when winding it up to hopefully avoid the problem.
review image
1010 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2016
I just love my new coffee grinder by Proctor Silex I got recently. We've been trying coffee from different parts of the world, and some of it comes whole bean form. Having never ground my own coffee before, I thought it was a simple matter and looked online for a grinder. What I found for some reason were hand grinders. Not knowing any better, I figured it would be fine to use one. Until it came and I used it for a while and decided it was the slowest, most mind numbing way to get a coffee buzz ever. The family sat around the table and took turns grinding and it still didn't hardly make enough to do a pot of coffee. Who knew?

So I figured it was time to upgrade, and started the search over again, but this time a bit wiser as I looked for only electric grinders. It took some looking, but eventually I found something simple and affordable, my 2 requirements other than POWER. And this is what I got, my new baby. This thing grinds beans like nobody's business and does it fast. Well, compared to the hand grinder, everything is pretty fast. But now it's not a chore getting enough done for a cup or a whole pot....heck we did the whole rest of the bag, it was so much fun. And I even ordered more coffee...you guessed it, in whole bean form. If only I'd known all of this before I started. I could have saved us some aggravation and a few bucks. The cost between the two grinders wasn't much, and surely not worth all that cranking and complaining :-) And cranky complaining.

But all's well that ends well, and this ends great. We are all happy with the newest member of the family, Mr. Smooth the coffee grinder. And he has wonderful attributes (or assets)...he's got a 10 cup capacity and stainless steel blades. Then there's his retractable cord and see thru lid. Not to mention he's capable of swinging from coffee to spices with ease. He's a hard worker too, and knows how to get the job done. And best of all, he doesn't smoke when he's taking a break! :-) You might want to try him out for yourself if you like a fresh guy who does fresh coffee.

Thanks for reading.
on July 26, 2016
This is exactly what I needed and nothing extra that I didn't want. It is quite simple to use and very fast. I plug it in. I simply put in a small amount of coffee beans into it. I place the clear domed cover back on. I press the button and grind to my desired fineness. Then I pour out the ground coffee into the container I am using. Then I simply wind the cord back into the grinder and place it back on the counter behind my Keurig. I grind beans every day to every other day. It is not super loud but it does make noise. I prefer fresh ground coffee as that way I can buy different types of beans in small amounts to have a variety. This way I just grind up whichever flavor/type I want that particular day. It has been working well for me and I am happy with it especially considering it was not expensive and does the job that I need it to.
on June 1, 2015
This grinder fell apart after the 2nd use. The white tab came off. It does not grind very fine and if it is not measured to the line it will not grind at all. I was very disappointed but because I only needed it for one bag of non-ground coffee I decided it was more of a hassle to send it back.
on November 17, 2016
This is just a so-so grinder. I realize burr grinders are superior so I was not expecting that sort of quality. Still, I had a blade grinder in the past which provided a much more even grind. The round design of the lid means if you need to funnel the ground coffee into a small container (reusable K-cup) it's going to go everywhere. I do like the size, storable cord, and tip-resistant flat spot on the lid. Still, I'd go back to my old grinder if I could.
on May 23, 2011
This is the perfect coffee grinder for my two year old 12-cup KitchenAid coffee maker. Before that, it was the perfect coffee grinder for my 12 year old B & D Spacemaker 10 cup-coffee maker.

I liked it so much that I bought a new model, for $7.00, of the same coffee grinder, off eBay four years ago just in case mine broke. Well, after seven years of twice to three times a day use, one of the metal blades broke off this morning because there was a small stone in the new bag of coffee beans purchased from Amazon.

I had to start all over grinding a new batch of coffee beans this morning with my reserve coffee grinder, which has been sitting lonely and unused.

I just ordered another one of the same model from Amazon. It grinds all types of coffee beans into a fine grind, and sometimes powder, in less than 25 seconds, and cleanup is accomplished with with a slap of the hand against the body of the coffee grinder.

Its small, takes up little counter space, and for the 12-cup coffee pot, I just add enough beans to have a slightly rounded mound inside of the small grinder, and that works just fine and tastes great. I gave four stars because the price has gone up over 35% since I bought my first one.
on November 23, 2014
EDIT 5-7-17 - It has been 3 years since I bought this and it still works like the day I bought it. I'll never have anything else to grind coffee with. We only do it on the weekends, not even every weekend. But, when we do, everytime I get this out I think of how inexpensive it was and still works like a champ! Highly recommend this!

This thing is awesome. Never having ground my own coffee, this was an experiment. Ground coffee is SO much stronger than what you buy in the store, but OMG - if you are a coffee lover this less-than-15-dollar investment is something you should try. This makes the coffee very fine, and makes a really good cup of coffee. I could not recommend this more! Works great!
on October 6, 2016
I love this grinder! I use it every day and it's never given me any problems. If you want fresh coffe in the morning you need to use freshly ground whole beans, it will completely transform your coffee experience. The only things I'll say about this grinder are that you can only fill the grinder up half way. If you fill it all the way up then it doesn't grind properly. Another thing someone complained about is how it can make a mess when you take the lid off because it fits over the base. If you flip the grinder upside down when you're taking off the cap then that problem goes away.
on May 3, 2016
This is a strong grinder and I was initially really excited about the way it was designed. The cord is retractable, which makes it easy to store. However, to retract the cord you have to twist the top, which means there's an open seam in the middle of the grinder that errant grounds make their way into. I got this for mixing pigments so I imagine the particles I have are far smaller than any person making coffee will be creating. But this keyed me into a serious design flaw, which is that dust and grinds get into the body of the grinder and stay there...when the cord is retracted and pulled out it drags out new grounds and sometimes gets coated and stuck. I do appreciate the lid, which sits on the outside edge of the grinder instead of jamming in alongside whatever you are grinding, but I don't think I can get past the impossibility of getting the grinder clean when the smaller bits are getting trapped in the body. If you are grinding pigments or super fine coffee I don't think this will work for you. Sadly, it isn't working for me.
on June 15, 2017
Sigh. I guess you get what you pay for. The motors in these things have a way of dying and hobbling the grinder. Not exactly dying; the grinder still works, but it's not at all well. It whines, and the grind is uneven. I use a french press, so as long as the grind isn't too fine, I don't mind the uneven sized grounds. But my next grinder will be a different brand. This is my fourth Proctor Silex, and they've all done the same thing. This one wins the prize for earliest half-demise.