Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,208 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,432 reviews
on April 13, 2015
I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there is a potentially dangerous design flaw related to this grinder. Whatever internal mechanism is used to wind up the power chord has the potential to strip the insulation from it in a particular spot about 2 inches from the base. See the picture I attached. I have used this grinder regularly for about 3 years and just noticed this. I would recommend everyone checks their grinder's chord for damage and be gentle when winding it up to hopefully avoid the problem.
review image
1010 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2016
I just love my new coffee grinder by Proctor Silex I got recently. We've been trying coffee from different parts of the world, and some of it comes whole bean form. Having never ground my own coffee before, I thought it was a simple matter and looked online for a grinder. What I found for some reason were hand grinders. Not knowing any better, I figured it would be fine to use one. Until it came and I used it for a while and decided it was the slowest, most mind numbing way to get a coffee buzz ever. The family sat around the table and took turns grinding and it still didn't hardly make enough to do a pot of coffee. Who knew?

So I figured it was time to upgrade, and started the search over again, but this time a bit wiser as I looked for only electric grinders. It took some looking, but eventually I found something simple and affordable, my 2 requirements other than POWER. And this is what I got, my new baby. This thing grinds beans like nobody's business and does it fast. Well, compared to the hand grinder, everything is pretty fast. But now it's not a chore getting enough done for a cup or a whole pot....heck we did the whole rest of the bag, it was so much fun. And I even ordered more coffee...you guessed it, in whole bean form. If only I'd known all of this before I started. I could have saved us some aggravation and a few bucks. The cost between the two grinders wasn't much, and surely not worth all that cranking and complaining :-) And cranky complaining.

But all's well that ends well, and this ends great. We are all happy with the newest member of the family, Mr. Smooth the coffee grinder. And he has wonderful attributes (or assets)...he's got a 10 cup capacity and stainless steel blades. Then there's his retractable cord and see thru lid. Not to mention he's capable of swinging from coffee to spices with ease. He's a hard worker too, and knows how to get the job done. And best of all, he doesn't smoke when he's taking a break! :-) You might want to try him out for yourself if you like a fresh guy who does fresh coffee.

Thanks for reading.
on June 16, 2014
After reading the reviews, I thought this would be the perfect grinder for my minimal needs. I was wrong. The first use was great. The grinder performed exactly as expected. I ground enough coffee for about a pot and a half. Two days later I decided to grind enough for another pot and a half. This time the grinder stopped working almost immediately. It ground for one push of the button, then stopped rotating and the motor burned out (smoke was evident, as well as the electrical burn smell). I am sorry I bought this product, and will be sure to avoid the company in the future.
on March 17, 2014
This grinder grinds. It is inexpensive. It is small and easy to store. Okay, that's the good stuff.

This grinder also makes a gigantic mess when what you are grinding kind of flies up inside the lid and then sifts down through the body of the thing (where the working parts are) and pours out of the hole where the retractable cord lives. Once that happens, grit collects along the edge of the lid making it VERY difficult to remove the lid to pour your grinds out. And then you must clean it off before you put the lid back on to continue grinding. Between this lid issue and the dust drifting out the bottom (which gets everywhere) I long to throw this in the trash with as much vehemence as I can muster. I am looking forward to that day which will happen as soon as my NEW grinder arrives.

If you don't mind starting your day with aggravation and are short on funds, get this. It will work (for awhile - I assume that dust cannot be good for the innards of the thing). If not, spring for something better.
on June 1, 2015
This grinder fell apart after the 2nd use. The white tab came off. It does not grind very fine and if it is not measured to the line it will not grind at all. I was very disappointed but because I only needed it for one bag of non-ground coffee I decided it was more of a hassle to send it back.
on June 25, 2014
I've never bought another coffee grinder, so I can't compare to any higher/lower prices... but this gets the job done. It's rather quiet and only takes about 20 seconds to grind up my flaxseed into a finer product. My only complaint is that it is difficult to clean. The lid can easily be thrown into the dishwasher, but the blades and bowl itself are annoying to clean. I take a damp cloth and wipe it out, but then you have to spin the blades to be able to wipe under where those were sitting. I know this sounds like a fairly easy process... but it gets annoying when its 5:30am and you're thinking, "Why can't I just throw this in the dishwasher?". The other neat thing about it is the cord wraps up back inside the product so you never have to deal with that making your counter unsightly. I don't know if it will roll up nicely for months or years (I've only had it a few weeks as of now), but for now its pretty nice. Overall, I would recommend.
on May 20, 2014
i would not bother with this one. although it is cheap and does the job, it seems like there are a lot of defective units given the reviews, and mine was not an exception. i was grinding this morning and suddenly the grinder sounded like it was going at half speed and there was light emanating from sparks behind the white plastic base that houses the motor... not a good sign. i purchased mine knowing it wasn't a great grinder nor a burr grinder and figured it would last me a year or two... now i wish i had just put that $10 toward a dependable grinder in the first place.

tl;dr cheap product, put that $10 toward a worthwhile grinder.
on September 20, 2014
Mine lasted almost 2 years which is good at the price. Was used 2-3 times a day. I replaced it recently with one a bit larger. the only problem I had with it was when I dropped the lid. The plastic strip that turns it on came off so I had to put it on every time I used it. very minor inconvenience. Unless you are going to invest in an expensive burr grinder you may as well go for the economical one - the insides are the same on all the one's I've purchased. The blades do get dull over time and can't be sharpened. Mine was getting dull by the time it broke. I probably will break down and buy a burr grinder eventually. These are good for more than coffee. Extra ones are welcome. I originally gave this 4 stars, because of the price I feel it deserves 5 stars.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 28, 2010
I use this grinder for flax seeds (which I then put in my oatmeal in the morning) and have one at work and one at home. It works perfectly.

Salient Points:
*Grinds finely, and quickly. The blade is sharp.
*Small and quiet.
*The cord stores inside the unit. You pull it out when you need it and by twisting the top piece, it recoils back into the unit.
*Has only 2 separable parts. The top comes off, that's the second separable part.
*Turns on by pressing the grind button, which is part of the detachable top part.
*Easy to clean the bowl, by wiping and/or turning upsidedown. Will not be so easy if you grind wet things.
*The instructions say that the cover can become etched or cloudy over time as a result of grinding, which is normal.
*I tested and the maximum capacity is about 8 tablespoons.

I like this grinder very much. It's smaller than any I've seen. Unless you plan to grind more than will fit into the bowl than the maximum capacity I identified, I recommend this grinder.
on July 22, 2011
Quite, small, fast grinder. No speed selection or timer, and you have to hold the button down. But it takes just seconds to grind. Filling it up entirely gave me enough for about 3 cups of coffee.

I love it, I really do. I don't care for speed selection or timer. I can "pulse" with my finger, and let go when I choose but I don't have to hold down for more than 10 seconds before it's done anyway.

Oh, and you spin the top around to pull in the extra power cord! Very cute. Very quite. Has held up over daily usage. No complaints!