Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

on April 13, 2015
I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there is a potentially dangerous design flaw related to this grinder. Whatever internal mechanism is used to wind up the power chord has the potential to strip the insulation from it in a particular spot about 2 inches from the base. See the picture I attached. I have used this grinder regularly for about 3 years and just noticed this. I would recommend everyone checks their grinder's chord for damage and be gentle when winding it up to hopefully avoid the problem.
review image
1111 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2017
This was my second purchase of the same model. This review refers to my experience with the first one I purchased rather than the most recent one. Overall, I'd say that for the price this is a great little coffee grinder. My first one lasted for over two years; during the colder months it got daily use and during hot months (iced-coffee weather) it saw occasional use. It fit neatly on my counter behind the coffee pot for storage. Note: I never retract the cord for storage because I don't think that's good for it; I only wind it loosely around the coffee maker. Being lazy, after grinding and unplugging I like to just turn it upside-down and gently tap before removing the lid so that I can dump the coffee directly from the lid into the coffee maker. For a serious coffee connoisseur who requires a precise grind it may not be ideal but if all you want is to enjoy freshly-ground coffee in your drip coffee maker, it does the job just fine.
on January 1, 2014
Updated 12/4/2017 --
I still love this R2 unit (as we call it in our family) and only bought another one because eventually a friend of mine broke mine through dropping it an insane number of times. Currently I use this for turning dried herbs like rosemary into powder, and for turning whole cacao beans into a fine grind (they won't quite turn into powder, but that's on account of what they are). This unit is still strong, efficient, quiet, easy to use, and easy to clean. The retracting cord still doesn't exactly work, and I still don't care.

Here's what I wrote when I first bought this item (back on the date posted on this review) --
I bought this for grinding flax seed into a fine powder before adding it to liquid (drink) or food for eating. This little grinder does it perfectly! The hopper holds at most 3 tablespoons of whole flax seed, and can quickly chop that amount into a very fine powder. It's easy to get the top off and on, easy to turn on, easy to pour out of. I found it easy to clean without immersing the entire unit in water. It's as quiet as I imagine such a thing possibly could be. The cord retractor doesn't work well, but I just wind the cord around the body. When yours arrives, gaze at it and think of R2D2... bingo! I love it that R2 grinds my flax seed every morning.
on May 5, 2016
This little coffee grinder is just awesome!! I cannot get over how well it works for such a low price!! It's just amazing!! As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for", only this time I mean it the OPPOSITE.. because it's just way too low priced to work as well as it does!! It's also extremely easy to clean!! I don't have a clue as to WHY some reviews I read said it was hard to clean?? I just take a damp cloth and wipe it down inside and out and just rinse out the clear, plastic bubble top. It's THAT EASY!! I highly recommend this little grinder to anyone looking to buy a small grinder.
on April 1, 2013
So far this grinder does exactly what's expected. I use it to grind my spices just before each meal. Throw a little pepper corn, grind and sprinkle. Works great. I also grind cinnamon sticks. Just today I realized those big bulky calcium pills can be growned up and added to my protein shake. Works great for that as well. My only complaint which I just found out today is somehow the ground powder makes its way into the housing. When I pulled out the retractable cord, ground spice came out with it. There was ground spice on the cord itself. How it gets in their I have no idea. The grinding container looks pretty sealed. If that is a potential problem they should have made a way to take off the bottom to clean the spice out that is trapped. So now every time I pull the cord out I am going to get spice (or whatever I ground) coming out with it. I will probably just do it over the sink so it does not get all over the place. Other than that the grinder itself works great. Sorry, not a coffee drinker. Cannot comment on how well it grinds coffee.
on January 7, 2017
I bought this to grind coffee beans a friend gifted me, and it's been great. Ground are a little uneven for coffee unless you REALLY grind it, but then it's too powdery for my french press. But I really don't mind as I'm not super into coffee.

I've also been using it to grind up things like earl grey tea leaves and dried lavender flowers for baking and it does a great job with those. Small capacity, but that's not the end of the world since it's not often I'm batch-grinding things.

It's kind of weird to clean, though...I just hold it upright under the faucet (unplugged, obviously) and try to keep the bottom dry, so hopefully I never cause any electrical failure from getting water where it shouldn't be. Who knows! Really into the retractable cord, though. Good for storage.

Overall I definitely recommend this, especially for the price, but I'm not going to pretend it's perfect-perfect. Just good enough for me!
on December 10, 2014
I have bought a lot of items from Amazon, this one was my first lemon. I have a K-Cup machine so it stayed in the box since I bought it in August 2014. I took it out two days ago to grind up some Death Wish Coffee. I pushed the button to grind 3 times. On the 3rd it never worked again. $5 to return a $11 grinder just not worth it. The grind of the first two was perfect but never got enough to make the first pot. So I had to go to a friend to get the grind. Oh and Death Wish Coffee ROCKS!
on March 27, 2016
There are a few unique features about this grinder that pleasantly surprised me.

First is the retractable cord, which is great in a small kitchen like mine. When I'm done with it, I pull the cord in and put it in the corner of my countertop.

Second is the removable top. To get all the coffee out, you turn it over and tap the grinder on the countertop. All the coffee falls out of the grinder into the top. Then you remove the top, and you've got all your coffee.

Third is speed. A lot of grinders have the problem that the big beans float to the top, and you've got to grind for a long time to get them to the bottom. But this grinder has an asymmetrical top that you can ACTUALLY SEE pushing the beans down towards the blades. It only takes maybe five seconds to grind all the coffee.

I would say the only downside to this compared to other coffee grinders is the size of the bean-bowl. I usually have to fill it twice with beans to make coffee for three people.

If you really care about your coffee, splurge on a Burr grinder. This isn't going to give you that perfect consistency. But then again, no bladed grinder will. For what it is, this grinder is quality.
on November 1, 2016
When I looking for a spice grinder I was concerned that so many were also coffee grinders. I needed a grinder that could nearly grind meal.
I took a chance and bought this because of its brand name and it is electric.
As soon as I opened it it washed it out and tested it. Awesome is all I can say! It ground Chia seeds into Chia meal! I am thrilled! My husband is on the keto diet and one of the few treats I can make him is chia bars. My recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups of chia seeds and while he likes the bars, he has mentioned that the bars would be a lot better if the texture was smoother. That is when I started searching for the spice grinder.
I have used the Proctor Silex grinder twice now, once for Chia seeds and once on anise seeds and it worked great om both.
If you are looking for a grinder of any kind of spice, give this grinder a try. I think you will be as happy with this product as I am!
on September 22, 2016
It doesn't chop nuts very well, which was the main reason I bought it. The nuts end up with some ground and some whole. :-(