Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Prodigy: A Legend Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 12, 2016
June and Day come from two very different backgrounds, June came from an elite family while Day lived in one of the poor sectors of the Republic. After getting to know each other their entire lives change for better or for worse and now they are more or less in the same situation.
After escaping from Day‘s execution June and Day are on the run from the entire Republic.
Day is injured, his brother and only living family is either a prisoner or a lab rat of the Republic.
June has nowhere to go after leaving everything she knows behind her to save Day.
With nothing left to loose they take an offer from the Patriots that are fighting against the government of the Republic. All they have to do in return for the Patriots help with all their problems is to assassinate the new Elector, Anden, after his father‘s recent death.
But in those troublesome times after the old Elector‘s death where the iron grip that the government had over it‘s people is starting to falter who can Day and June really trust and how much can their newly formed relationship handle.

This like the first book was a fast paced read with some twists and turns. We get to know more about the world that the story takes place in and we get to know the main characters better. I really liked this book and can‘t wait to read the last book in the trilgogy to see how this ends.
on October 15, 2014
Marie Lu continues to make the Legend trilogy epic with Prodigy! This one's really a game changer in the long run because sooo much happens and gets revealed and we're kind of left hanging with where the characters are! Thankfully I have the next and final book at the ready!

June and Day are on the run after the chaotic events of Legend, they soon find themselves in Patriot territory and join the rebel group in order to finally take out the new Elector. The previous Elector dies--off scene--and his son takes on the leadership. The plan is set and both June and Day are taking part. June must return to her position and get the new Elector, Anden, to be in the "kill spot" for when the Patriots are ready. But June soon learns that Anden is nothing like his father and wants to make changes for the good of the people in the Republic.

This was quite the exciting read for the most part, about 3/4 in it kind of stutters out after a shocking reveal, but picks up again with a nice action scene towards the end! The second book in trilogies tend to be all about the shocks! We get quite a few of those in this one! There's also more indepth character development and naturally, trouble in paradise when it comes to romance.

Not only does it seem Anden likes June, but when Day reunites with Tess we learn that she loves him too. It's this part that weirded me out a bit. Tess is about 12, for I remember it being said that Day found Tess when she was 9 and he was 12. Three years isn't a big difference when it comes to age and relationships, but it's the fact that she's 12 and proclaims to be sooo in love with Day that weirded me out. When I was 12, I wasn't anywhere close to those feelings. In fact, I think I laughed at the "boyfriend-girlfriend" scenarios around me at school. Because really, what kind of relationship can you have at such a young age! Day and June being 15 and so in love still weirded me out a tad, but I can get over that one because it's close to 16 when most YA books have the intense feelings of love going around. But 12?! Sorry, but no.

I could understand where Tess was coming from though in falling in love with Day. She's known him for 3 years and the two have been inseparable until recently. But I would've thought that would get more towards sibling affection rather than romantic ones, but I digress.

The action in this one was good! June and Day are apart of the Patriots' plan to assassinate Anden, but then things change. There's a definite tension going on throughout the book and the end results give strife to Day and June's budding relationship.

The ending was yet another shocker! It's not so much a cliffhanger, but you're left reeling at why this and that happened or didn't happen! There's a lot left unsaid between Day and June and I am more than eager to dive into the final book of the trilogy!

Overall Rating 4/5 stars
on September 5, 2016
Champion continues where Prodigy ends, with June accepting her position as Princeps-Elect after Day tells her this is the best decision. We also discover at the end of Prodigy that Day is dying as a result of the experiment from the Republic following his failed trial. This scene broke my heart and I was seriously hoping June would find out the truth quickly in Champion. The final war with the Colonies is quickly approaching, and we unfortunately see that the Republic is not the all-powerful empire they claim to be. They are outgunned and outnumbered and in desperate need of an alliance. There is also the issue of the plague ravaging the Republic. The entire city of LA has been quarantined, something that is virtually unheard of in the rich sectors. Our beloved characters certainly start this story in a desperate situation and I admit I did not see a happy way out for all of them.

Champion is well-written and well-paced, just like the other two. While there is still great character development from Day and June, I think this installment focuses heavier on the plot and the war with the Colonies. Day continues to struggle with his illness and it becomes quite debilitating as the story goes on. One thing I appreciated about this book compared to the others was the world-building! We previously only saw cities within the Rebublic or the Colonies, but in this book we got to see Antarctica as well. Their city is definitely more technologically advanced and the citizens generally seem more content than the Republic. They also use a virtual reality that displays numbered scored above each person’s head. Every time you do what is considered a ‘good deed’ for the country, you earn points. June is intrigued by this concept and I certainly agree that it is very interesting.

Lu also presents an interesting concept with the idea of the Colonies and the Republic. I appreciated watching Day’s transition from someone who would do anything to live in the Colonies to someone who defends the Republic. The old Republic was completely government-run with a heavy military influence, while we learn the Colonies consist of a completely decentralized government and is run by corporations. Both territories seem to be wrought with corruption and violence. Which is better? Is one the lesser of two evils? Luckily, the new Republic seems to want to address the issues of the old Republic. Lu’s expert world-building definitely had me thinking about June and Day’s world long after I finished the book.

If you enjoyed the previous two books in the series, you will enjoy this one as well. It has all the familiar action-scenes and we see development from some supporting characters I really enjoyed- Eden and Pascao. Eden was so brave and adorable throughout the book and I love how Day would do absolutely anything for his younger brother. Pascao is our loyal Patriot runner who helps Day throughout this book. Although brief, I really enjoyed his action scenes with Day. Day and June continue to love each other and attempt to reconcile their differences as they fight to win the war against the colonies.

And finally, that ending! It was a huge surprise to me and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it at first. After I had some time to digest it, I think I understand why Lu chose to end the series that way. I’m not sure I love it, but I also don’t know how else she could end it while still being true to each of the characters. Overall, I was very pleased with this series. I enjoyed the third book, but I still think the second is my favorite. I definitely recommend if you are a fan of dystopian books. I am sad to say goodbye to Day and June!
on September 2, 2016
**There will be spoilers from Legend**

Prodigy was amazing! I am always concerned about the second-book slump but that was certainly not the case with this story. The book opens with June and Day escaping the Republic in search of the Patriots. Day is still suffering from a gunshot wound to the leg that desperately needs medical attention. Along the way they learn that the Elector has died and his son, Anden, is the new Elector. Upon meeting the Patriots, June and Day learn that they will only get help from the Patriots if they assist in their mission to kill the new Elector.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most was how June and Day were essentially fighting for the same thing- peace, freedom- but their different backgrounds don’t always allow them to see eye to eye. June agrees to help with the Patriots’ mission, if only to ensure that Day gets medical care. June doesn’t agree with the Republic’s ways but she’s met Anden before and is unsure he will be just as bad as his father. Is June truly no longer loyal to the Republic? What does freedom really mean? Day, on the other hand is solely focused on getting Eden back from the Republic. The Republic has taken everything from him and he is more than ready to help the Patriots with their plan. He cares for June but also realizes they have differing viewpoints of the Republic, even if June no longer claims loyalty to them. When it comes down to it, does Day really trust June, even after everything she’s done?

June really grew on me in this book. She still comes across as cold and calculating, but I think that’s just how she copes. When she’s upset she counts time, she sees patterns- this is how she calms herself down. She feels but she often doesn’t know how to express it. She also often offends Day without realizing it and is too proud to admit her mistake to him. We see this when June unknowingly offends Day after he crafts her a paperclip ring. While she is quite touched by this gesture she doesn’t exactly express her gratitude the way she meant to.

“Engagements? My heart flutters in my chest. I can’t help smiling. ‘With paper clip rings?’

Oh no. I’d meant it as an honest question of curiosity, but don’t realize I sound sarcastic until the words are already out of my mouth”

Page 67

June often takes her privileged upbringing for granted, whereas Day has always had to struggle for everything. While it was heartbreaking to watch these two often misunderstand each other, it is also important for the development for their relationship. They do come from different backgrounds and they have to learn to accept and understand each other to move forward.

Can I also say how much I enjoy the change in fonts and colors for the alternating points of view? I know Legend has a similar format, but in Prodigy Day’s font is blue to coordinate with the cover. I also know that Champion has red font for Day’s point of view. It’s very aesthetically pleasing and easy to tell when the point of view changes.

Has anyone else wondered what Day looks like? June says that he has white blond hair with blue eyes, but his eyes also have a slight tilt to them indicating some Asian heritage. He sounds pretty good looking to me.

We also get to know a few other characters in this installment. We see more from Tess, who is no longer the child Day remembers her to be. I really liked Kaede in this book, she constantly surprised me with her actions. I also enjoyed Anden’s story arc as we got to know him and his motivations for his plan with the Republic. Finally, although Metias is not alive in this installment, he is as present as ever. It amazes me that Lu is able to develop Metias as such a strong character when he is dead for the entirety of the series. Through June’s memories and references to him, I feel like I know him and care about him as a character. We learn more about the circumstances of his death, and it is truly heartbreaking.

I know I’ve talked a lot about the characters and not as much about the plot in this review. The plot is excellent, but I felt like this book was very character driven. June and Day are both such rich, complex characters and I thoroughly enjoyed each of their stories. I picked up Champion immediately after finishing Prodigy because that ending was amazing!! I know a lot of people have already read this trilogy, but if you haven’t it is absolutely worth the read.
on November 28, 2013
I won't describe the full plot in this review, because others have already done that. I have really enjoyed this trilogy, and my favorite things about the first two books are fully present in Champion too. Day's and June's characters are so well developed, and their voices are clear and authentic feeling (the chapters go back and forth between their two points of view.) I grew to care about both of them, and that hasn't happened with many of the recent YA dystopian trilogies I've read. The book has a lot of action - parts of this series read more like a martial arts or war book then most of the other dystopian series out there, because the battle scenes are presented in detail, and take up more of the book. The socio-political posturing between the various countries has also always been very good, with enough similarities to contemporary society to make this feel real. The plague part of the plot is interesting and although the science may be a bit sketchy, it worked for me.

There is also a little more futuristic/sci-fi fun in this book, because June visits Antarctica, now a powerful country who could potentially ally with the Republic. Their entire society is set up with a points system in which inhabitants get real-time displays of the points they have accrued for good works and achievements on a virtual screen to the side of their vision, through an implant. June is given glasses to stimulate this (Google Glass anyone?) There's a little more to it, and it's all very well-drawn, and ended up being one of my favorite parts of the book.

I had two disappointments, and this is the reason I didn't rate it 5 stars (and I do have MINOR SPOILERS in this part, so don't read on if you want to know nothing beforehand.) 1) I felt Lu kind of dropped the ball on the social/political side of things here - as I mentioned above, the negotiations and posturings between countries was interesting and well-done, but otherwise, there isn't a real revolution, i.e. any kind of democracy that sprouts or anything like that. The 'people' end up fighting for the Republic because of Day's influence, but it all just seemed a little stilted to me, as the Republic is still basically an authoritarian regime with Anden at the head at the end. That was hard for me to cheer for. I would have liked it more if it explored that a little more, with some sort of meaningful political shift. I felt the earlier books hinted that it might go that direction, but in the end it ended up being a romance and action series. That's fine if it hadn't hinted at more, so I was just a little bit disappointed with that.

And 2) although I am OK with the ending, and the final Day/June epilogue did tug my heartstrings, having Day lose 2 years of his memory as the result of his illness, and conveniently forgetting everything bad June had done to his family, was just a little too contrived. Of course it all would have been in the news online - we are shown how 'wired' the world is when June goes up to Antarctica, so Day would have read all about his own life there (especially because he lives in Antarctica for 10 years!) So all of that part just went a little too Harlequin romance for me. I would have respected it more if Day and June separated for that time without any memory loss and simply healed from the damage and then were able to start again.

But overall this is a well-written and exciting trilogy.
on November 7, 2013
This book was such a sweet relief after finishing the Divergent series and being utterly disappointed. Lu did a fantastic job wrapping up this story and now I'm just sad it's over. Definitely worth the wait :)
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 20, 2018
WARNING: This review will reveal characters and plot events from book 1, so be forewarned.

At the end of book 1, June and Day flee The Republic—in particular Los Angeles— in the aftermath of his brother’s execution. They head east to Las Vegas, hoping to link up with the revolutionaries, the Patriots. Once there, they join the Patriots and a plot to assassinate the new emperor. But can they trust the Patriots? Will the Patriots trust them? Can June persuade the Republic that she is loyal?
This book tucks in nicely to the first. The plot is intense, with numerous twists and turns. All of the recurring characters are developed in more depth, especially June and Day, and a couple of new engaging characters emerge. In terms of the world, the political systems from the first book turn out to be a bit different than expected.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 26, 2014
Marie Lu not only created a dystopian world that was complete and intriguing, she created characters that were intelligent, sensitive, and courageous. The first-person POV, with both main characters taking turns telling the story, was a well-executed storytelling motif. I read the books with my Kindle App on my phone and the first book included different fonts for each character. (I’m not sure why the change of fonts wasn’t there in the next two books.)

Legend introduces us to a typical dystopian world where the government is oppressive and a rag-tag band of rebels fight against it and discover its secrets. It is not unlike other dystopian YA fictional worlds.

The characters are what make this series shine. The female main character is exceptional in every way—intelligence, beauty, strength, and invention. She is on the side of the government and, though she has a strong independent streak, stands firm in her position. The male main character is on the side of the rebels and is also exceptional—though he never truly knows how exceptional. He is a sacrificial protagonist, giving up his comfort, safety, and welfare for his family and the people of the Republic. They are in many ways the same, but in a few crucial areas, very different. Their relationship is of the reverse-Shakespearian variety. (The guy is placed on the pedestal and the girl feels undeserving, in her own assessment, of being loved by him.)

The first inciting incident happens after becoming invested in the lives of these two characters and presents a difficult dilemma for the reader. Whose side do you choose? As the plot thickens, the dilemmas grow and grow.

Legend, Prodigy, and Champion are equally compelling and action-packed. Marie Lu is also a devoted descriptive writer. Sometimes I found the description annoying because I simply wanted to arrive at the next plot point and blah, blah, blah got in the way. I’m impatient, though, so my critique is skewed.

The ending was satisfying for me. It was not as neat and happy as some readers may prefer, but it seemed consistent with the character’s beliefs and echoed the repercussions of the overarching themes.
on March 12, 2016
Champion was a great conclusion to the Legend series. It was full of emotion, adventure, loss, choices, and action. June and Day grew as characters and had some heavy choices to make throughout the book.

In Champion, June and Day were separated, but their stories collided a few times and they ended up working together to fight the Colonies and discover a way for the Republic to move in a positive direction. Because the two of them came from different worlds, they viewed every situation differently and I liked the contrast. The ending was absolutely superb. I almost cried, which is typically a rare sight.

I highly recommend the Legend trilogy and I enjoyed Marie Lu’s writing and world building. If you’re a fan of the dystopian genre, these books are must reads. I don’t understand why the books aren’t more popular, actually. In many ways, these books were more complicated and moving than the more popular series, like The Hunger Games and Divergent.

However, there were aspects of the story I didn’t like. Had I read the trilogy back when dystopian YA fiction was sort of my go-to genre, I might not have any criticism. But I’m kind of over the whole teenage girl is somehow the key to saving an entire world that was evil and terrible for a number of years. I think that the Legend trilogy would have been better if it was not YA. If the author would have aged everything up and peppered in some more mature themes and spent more time on the government and the ins and outs of it, it would have been absolutely spectacular. But because it was YA, it really took away from the story and simplified the overall world. June and Day were far too young to have such crucial roles in society. How was June a soldier and later one of the most important people in the government? How was she working at such a young age? And if that was normal, how on earth could a society to employs children ever bounce back to the fair and just society that we would expect?Why was Day able to lead so well and be the voice of the people? What adult do you know would follow a teenager into anything? Had June and Day been 10 years older, the entire plot would have made far more sense to me and would have actually made the ending that much more compelling and touching. But these criticisms aren’t necessarily only geared towards Legend. Any YA dystopian seems to suffer the same problems.

Despite the things I disliked, there’s no argument that Legend excels in the YA dystopian category and is a must read for any fan of the genre. It is only as my reading tastes grow and change that I discover the genre isn’t necessarily the one for me any more. Very few of the books I used to loved have followed me as my tastes have changed. I definitely recommend reading this, though, and I can’t wait to dive into The Young Elites by Marie Lu!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2016
Coming of age super teens saving the day. If you can get past it being of that saturated genre, you'll find a nice little gem here.

Marie Lu cooks up a slight, but believable, apocalyptic world in the future, and then takes two characters through it. Every chapter alternates between the 2 characters, a nice touch and level of difficulty in a writing style... kudos to her for never breaking style throughout all 3 books.

Characters are intelligently written, and the solutions the characters create are entertaining and sometimes surprising. A conflicting love story is integral of the genre, Lu makes it believable and gets nod at making a very good ending without a complete happy ending.

Lu did not convince to start reading more of this genre, but she definitely convinced me to read more of her work.