Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
on April 8, 2014
I had no experience in JavaScript, all my coding was done in C#.NET, Delphi, Java and before reading this book first I started with JavaScript, the Good Parts book and failed...then moved to Secrets of JavaScript Ninja book and again failed, they were not for beginners...Then I came to this one and awesome book. It is from beginner to Professional all in one. Don't worry about the size of the book if you are a developer you can read it much faster because you don't really need all of it if it is teaching you what is a variable and fast forward to the parts you don't know...
If you are new to JavaScript first read this book before reading the other two books I mentioned above.
on March 12, 2014
If you have familiarity with another language and want to learn javascript then this is a great book. It does not have pages explaining the difference between an integer and a string, just a concise and thorough explanation on how the syntax and how javascript interprets and uses them. The same with functions and everything else.

The format is mostly an explanation, followed by a complete example or examples and then it moves on to the next thing. (As opposed to some books that include many examples and review that all cover the same thing). It might be tough for a total beginner to follow, but if you already understand the basic concepts of programming I believe you will find this book very helpful without being too slow, condescending or incomplete.
on April 24, 2014
I've almost finished this book (up to Chapter 23 out of 25). I taught myself web development over the past few years and so would describe my skills as intermediate, and was lacking understanding in some areas.

This book contains a lot of good explanations of how JavaScript works and how to use it to its full potential. There are plenty of useful code snippets that the author presents and then explains. He also includes cross-browser solutions to various issues which is very helpful.

The author introduces various new JavaScript APIs associated with HTML5 which are gaining fairly good browser support as of early 2014.

Although this third edition was written a few years ago, it is still highly relevant. Just a tip for others buying the third edition - you might want to skip over Chapter 19: Ecmascript for XML. It describes E4X; a technology which has since been deprecated.
on March 8, 2016
the book is well-written and goes into comprehensive detail about things you really need to understand if you are doing serious work in javascript. there is one thing about the book that i do *not* like, however, and that is that on EVERY code sample there is a distracting and pointless graphic indicating that the code can be downloaded from Wrox.com. this is distracting and useless, and a little galling given that the purported audience is experienced programmers. yeah, we get it. every programming book has code samples downloadable from somewhere, and you only need to point out where once. DRY.

other than that, though, it's a good book. of course, you'll also want Crockford's book JavaScript: The Good Parts .
on August 21, 2016
Overall useful for experienced developers of any language. That is to say, if you are a beginner programmer, I would find another book (and language quite frankly). As far as the good, this book seems to cover everything that deals with JavaScript and the browser without bringing in frameworks and libraries. The reason I rate this 4 instead of 5 is because it's organized a bit strange. For example, the author spends a lot of time talking about what variables are, the different types of variables (primitive values and references), and how they are copied. The thing is that there aren't any surprises here, and he could have explained this in about half the space. Additionally, he talks a lot about how scope, variables, and execution context pertain to objects prior to ever explaining what objects are. He then calls out with and try/catch. Then he only explains with, but the example cannot be executed yet because with is a way to assign execution context to a single object. He doesn't explain try/catch for JavaScript at all. Moreover, if you read JavaScript: The Good Parts by Crockford, he explains why with is actually quite ambiguous and will silently create undefined global variables if you attempt to access undefined properties. No mention of this in Professional JavaScript

This is all just to get to this point: There is a lot of good information here. However, the information isn't well organized, and I am not sure who the audience is. Some of the information is also incomplete. If you're an experienced programmer learning JavaScript this is a fine starting point. There are other starting points to consider too. For my tastes, I would prefer something that is better organized and went more indepth into the language features and spent less time explaining standard concepts in OO languages. Or do so and market the book as a beginner's book.
on January 1, 2013
If you have some knowledge of JavaScript or you are an experienced programmer wishing to start using JavaScript, this is the book for you. This goes double if you, like me, are planning on working with HTML5. While my primary objective was to advance my knowledge of JavaScript, I have interest in hearing the `story' a.k.a., the background of languages and development tools. The first chapter devotes itself to providing a short history of JavaScript and the path to its prominence with web developers.

Each chapter builds on the next. While it is possible to pick and choose each chapter as your curiosity dictates, it is best to do a first read of the book from cover to cover. You can then pick and choose chapters for future reference. One of the topics I found intriguing is the Document Object Model (DOM), an important topic if you work with XML and HTML documents. The book devotes 3 chapters to this subject by starting with the definition of DOM and how to use it (Chapter 10) and continues with a discussion of DOM Extensions (Chapter 11) and concludes with a discussion of DOM Level 2 and 3 (Chapter 12).

If you have experience with Object Oriented Programming or you wish to know how this relates to JavaScript then you will find an interest in Chapter 6 and also Chapter 13 which discusses the use of Events. My solutions usually contain pre-developed graphics created by graphic experts. So Chapter 15 did not hold much interest for me since it on the subject writing code to representing graphics on screen. This is a great chapter if you have interest in creating graphics in JavaScript using the Canvas object.

As programmers most of us have worked with XML in the past (even if your exposure is limited to working with config files) and will find the review of this subject in Chapter 19 intriguing. I have developed solutions which either read XML files or construct XML files on the fly. One of the take-away is that XML is very verbose. If you are looking for an alternative to XML then Chapter 20, which discusses JSON (less verbose), is a must read for you.

Author Nicholas Zakas is a good writer; I bought the previous edition of this book and liked it so much that it was necessary for me to add the latest edition to my library. I have done the initial cover to cover read and will continue to use it as a reference for future solutions.
on March 19, 2015
Just got around to Nicholas's book. I've read earlier versions by him, and he is very good. I echo what Kevin Stokes said about javascript: bizarre. It is not like any language you've probably used before: I just realized that recently as I've learned more about javascript. However, some of the things I like about this book is what he covers that is not javascript per se: HTML5 and new querying capabilities, the ubiquitous pecularities of earlier IE versions and how to handle them, and "new" initiatives by the internet standards board, W3C.
on December 27, 2012
This book is NOT for most beginners, but maybe for beginners with other coding experience or with a natural knack for logic, scripting, and coding type exercises. Otherwise, advanced coders of most any language, or intermediate to advanced JavaScript developers will find this book very useful.

I am a self taught JavaScript coder, with about seven years of experience. Before studying this book, I was already writing some relatively complicated code, including functions, constructors, methods on constructors, jQuery add-ons, and more. This book took my existing JavaScript knowledgebase and cleared it up, fixed some existing misconceptions I had regarding JavaScript, taught me industry standard practices/naming conventions/coding practices/etc. that I had not already picked up on, and then it took my skills to the next level by covering topics I had a loose understanding of at best.

After going through this book in its entirety (twice for good measure :) ...), I can truly say that I am a more efficient, cleaner, and certainly more sophisticated JavaScript developer. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to learn the latest ECMA 5.x has to offer (I previously coded to ECMA-262 version 3 based JavaScript only), those looking to learn advanced JavaScript coding skills, and/or those looking to refine their existing skillset to reflect the latest best industry practices used when coding in JavaScript.
on May 4, 2012
Zakas makes learning JavaScript as easy and straightforward as possible in this edition of PJ4WD. Each edition has gotten steadily more thorough and well written and this one is no exception. Though definitely written for those with programming experience, Zakas makes sure to explain every concept plus includes real-world pros and cons of each practice and also gives THOROUGH documentation of which versions of each browser supports each feature mentioned.

What's really great about this book is that Zakas not only talks about OOP, language structures, and patterns, but he also covers the little nuances and quirks of these topics and low-level JavaScript that you only get from years of experience. I've been using JavaScript for years and still learned a ton from even the introductory chapters. Most developers also use Ajax, json, and XML, but don't necessarily know the finer details of how they relate to ECMA, which are all covered in great detail. This edition also covers several HTML5 APIs and best practices for handling the transition from XHTML to HTML5. Whether building scripts for a personal portfolio or an entire single-window application, this book has what you need to become a JavaScript expert.

Finally, each chapter is split up really well in order to be modular. One can jump from chapter to chapter in pretty much any order, though it does of course move from the most simple to the most complex. After reading through it once, I'm also using it as a reference work now. Exceedingly helpful.

This is the book I recommend for any developer wanting to master JavaScript.
on September 1, 2014
I was surprised by this book. Although it does not present examples in a cookbook style, the book is very chock full of javascript history and overall knowledge. The sections on OO programming shed a lot of light for.me on javascript objects and different ways to think of defining reusable code. Lots of other good info on Dom and a brief intro from t I me to time on html5. Worth the price to have on the shelf.