Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 20, 2013
Great guide purchased for me to "pre-learn" about the Canon Vixia HF G30 that I ordered. Well written and generally usable for the G30 model as many buttons, menus, and functions are the same.
I've been shooting video for 30 years and have different cameras, including the XA10 model.
I bought the book to see if I can refer to this book and not the manual.... that's really not a good way to learn about the camera. Granted, the Canon manual has everything in it, but not an easy thing to follow.
That's why you're here :)
Am I correct?

This book makes it so easy to look up something on your camera. If you shoot AUTO mode all the time, this may not be much interest to you. However, there are loads of good tips how to shoot a great video. If nothing else, read those parts to make better movies:)
Am sure all new owners of this great camera will appreciate the detailed information. It's well written in simple language anyone can understand.

This is the best thing you can buy for such a little money and learn a great deal!
on March 15, 2013
This book was of great value to me starting out with video and helping to learn about my new G10 in a convenient streamlined manner. It's almost painful looking back at the factor manual now that I have this wonderful companion guide. I suggests settings based on different situations and explains why you would use that particular setting. For me this was invaluable to learn by example with my busy schedule. The author makes some great suggestions when using your camera with additional equipment, for example they suggested a lens cap that doubles as a white balance filter. They have clearly taken the time and done the research for you when it comes to the G10 and XA10. Highly recommended!
on April 27, 2014
This manual is worth the bucks. I have the Kindle version for my smartphone. Sure, you can download the PDF version of the instruction manual for free, but it's hard to navigate. This book is easy to read, and it has some extra tips that come in handy.
on October 30, 2016
Great book for those who own a Canon G10/G20 and XA10. Lots of great tips and tricks too! :)
on December 7, 2012
There is no easy way to learn how to use a modern camcorder. Manufacturer's manuals are often not very instructional and an after market guide is usually quite helpful. This guide is quite detailed with nice colored, glossy photos. You are not going to read it in an hour. Expect to spend a week of evenings to get the most out of this book. I'm happy that I got it and would recommend it to anyone.
on December 5, 2012
This book is a great resource to have if you own one of these two cameras (or as I do, one of each). We all know that reading the manuals included with Canon cameras are overly technical and presume a previous level of camera knowledge that many folks don't have. This book walks you through all of the functions of these two cameras (which are both almost identical except for professional audio input features and infared in the XA10). I personally found several useful functions which would otherwise have been left undiscovered and unused had I not read this book. The author also gives very in-depth explanations of basic good habits to cultivate; elaborating on lighting, composition, capturing good audio, and recommended accessories. Since the G10 and XA10 are destined to become the next HV20 for low budget digital filmmakers, I would say this book is invaluable to those who desire a deeper understanding of these great little cameras!
on December 23, 2012
I've been shooting with my XA10 for one year now, thinking I knew my camera well. Turns out I didn't.
This book is amazing. You will learn a bunch of new stuff on every single page, not only about the camera, but about a lot of relatively advanced stuff on image composition, aperture, exposure, color balance, lighting, sound, etc. that can also be utilized with other cameras. It is quite technical and advanced but the way the book is written makes it relatively easy to absorb all the material. If you read the book carefully, I think that you will acquire the amount of technical knowledge students in cinema classes learn in their first few trimesters in college. There's a bunch of pictures and graphs that are very useful. If you have an XA10 and are serious about achieving high quality results, you absolutely must get this book.
on January 10, 2014
In short, I would have returned the Canon Vixia if it weren't for this guide. I'm a total newbie and I honestly thought there was something wrong with the camcorder and the stock user manual was useless to me. This guide really helped me to understand how to properly use the camcorder and I now feel a real pride of ownership with the Canon Vixia. Well done!
on September 16, 2014
I recommend this text to anyone who purchases an XA10. The Canon manual is incomplete. The Bass manual gives the new user a start.