Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 12, 2017
Lots of practical "everyday" retouching techniques. We're not talking high art, just fast effective touchups. The 5 and 15 minute retouch walk throughs are quite handy although there is a step lost in the 15 min process where you use highpass+gausian filter to soften and keep texture. It's correct earlier in the book where it's first described.

You'll probably pick and choose bits from the different chapters to create your own work flow.
on March 25, 2017
This book has an awesome number of retouching techniques. I am really pleased the author didn't take a one size fits all approach to editing. Some photos respond well to one editing technique while not to others. I have made several actions for my software to make using these easier. Don't be afraid to layer some of the techniques too. Putting a high pass soften on an image after using frequency separation can give very pleasing results.

A couple of the processes were a little confusing and didn't seem to work well for me, but it could also be the images I was using. I still have the ideas in my toolbox, even if I only have to use it once and a great while.
on March 2, 2017
Good book with well known Kelby style and quality. Nothing bad to say. Good for beginners and intermediates. Doesn't bring any new tricks for advanced retouchers.
on February 22, 2017
Recently purchased a nice digital camera for my wife, which ironically enough I have spent more time using lately, and have always dabbled in the photoshop world in retouching photos, but knew I needed more information. I read the reviews on Mr. Kelbys book and decided this was the one I needed to help me further my experience in retouching photos. I began reading the book which is filled with a wealth of information and great tutorials to get you started.
After learning the different camera techniques I purposely took a slightly underexposed picture of my little girls eye and took what I learned from this book and applied it to touch up her eye... It was probably a 20-30 minute retouch because I knew I wanted to show just what these tips will show that you can do.
From the original raw file I created this before and after to really detail what I learned... Am I professional heck no, but it just gives a glimpse of what you can do (no particular order of what I did)

1. Darkened the iris
2. Darkened the outer ring of the eye
3. Whitened the eyes
4. Brightened the catch light
5. Smoothed the skin some in a couple places (not that my 8 year old needed it)
6. Cleared away some of the freckles without completely removing them
7. Drew some eyebrow lashes in and slightly made them a tad bolder
8. She is blue/hazel eyed depending on the day ha ha, but made her eye slightly bluer
9. Created the half moon type glow in bottom of her eye

Like I said I am no professional , but am confident I can use what I learned in a few short hours to touch up photos and make them nice and what I want to see

Attached are the before and after....

Great book, highly recommend...
review image
3 helpful votes
on February 12, 2017
Great book. Wish there was an updated version.
on January 12, 2017
Although there is a lot of great tips and tricks found in this book, it really does not cover the PROFESSIONAL methods of retouching. However, the methods described here will work for most portraits and are worth learning. It can save you a lot of time on quick touch and even more formal portrait work. Not everything needs to be a full retouching glamor shot edit. Definitely worth reading and it might inspire one to combine several methods or modify their current ones.
on December 26, 2016
As expected, Scott demonstrates his deep understanding of Photoshop and quite capably demonstrates how to leverage Photoshop in portrait retouching efforts. I came into the book with a strong familiarity with Lightroom, but only a cursory knowledge of Photoshop. I now feel much more confident in enhancing my portraits in Photoshop.
on December 18, 2016
Very helpful for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience doing Portraits.
on July 1, 2016
It's a great and helpful book.
on June 20, 2016
Awesome book. Bought used at a huge discount. Worth every penny. Easy to understand and follow with great results.