BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star). See all 26 reviews
on October 20, 2010
If you are like me you will be influenced to purchase this book mainly on the reputation of the publisher - O'Reilly. The rest of the decision making could be the customers' reviews and maybe based on the amazon's "Look Inside" feature.

So before purchasing the book I did a quick scanning of the index and TOC I left with the impression that this book will be kind of the books of "in a nutshell " category. But after receiving the book I tried to use it as I planned to - as a blog style feature exposer, if you wish authors' rants on the matter. In other words I expected all major features to be concisely described and put to practice by authors' grasp of the subject. I guess that was also authors' intention, but the delivery of it by my opinion didn't hold it.

They did some useful categorization of the core functions, but a lot of space is wasted by merely repeating facts, which can be found on the Internet, and which is also suggested by the authors. That disclaimer by the authors alone made the life of the book to be shortened dramatically. The rest of the book, before the reference guide (Appendix A) could be found in better explanations from other books, which even don't have this ambitious subject matter and still can deliver better job (cf. book by David Powers, Luke Welling, etc.).

In the final analysis this book was a disappointment for me, even though published by O'Reilly. And because of it short life the fate of the book will be early retirement to the recycling factory.
on December 17, 2008
One shelf in my bookcase looks like a zoo with all those animals on the cover. I appreciate the books of O'reilly very much. But this particular book is really disappointing which is reported already many times. But the rating is still 4 star at this moment which is way too high. And I'm writing about the April 2006 edition. Too many errors, no complete code, examples of older (too old, and deprecated) php versions, layout problems, etc. etc. I really don't get it how they can produce a book like this.
on May 30, 2008
Don't get me wrong, the book is okay. But I feel O'Reilly simply slung out a new version of the book for PHP 5, without really updating the content to reflect PHP 5's enhancements. Especially the chapter covering OOP development with PHP 5. The content in that chapter is pure PHP 4. Not cool.
on July 8, 2010
The "Object Oriented" portion of the book is a terrible reference for PHP5 programming, as it uses examples based on PHP4, which won't work in PHP5. "Learning PHP5" might be a better book for people seeking an up-to-date reference for occasional PHP programmers or learners.
on June 9, 2007
I used this book at work, and wasn't impressed.

Now, maybe it's the language itself that lacks consistency and isn't all that interesting, I don't know.

I wasn't as much exceited reading the book as I was when I read, for example, K&R (C), Paul Graham and Peter Seibel (Lisp), Meyers (C++). The book will help you get things done, no doubt, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about it.