Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Programming Visual Basic 2005
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 17, 2006
The book has a lot of useful information, but also has a lot of nuisance and killer typos--both in the text and in the code samples. If you are fairly new to programming, as I am, you will most likely not be able to get much of the code to execute successfully. Jump over to the author's "world class" book support Web site for answers and you will find readers trying to help readers...the author generally claims to be too busy elsewhere, or he will "...check into it." If you are new to programming or new to Vb2005, stay away from this book. We newbies rely on code examples that work as printed. This book doesn't succeed in that regard.
on December 9, 2005
I've been fighting transitioning from VB6 to .NET. I don't really see the need, but I have a client who wants his next project done in VB2005 so I had little choice. This book is a pleasure; the author does not waste time with what I already know, and focuses in on creaeting real applications and walking you through what can be done by real programmers with real clients.

The writing is clear, reasonably concise, the exercises are well explained, and most important the author provides source code and a forum to ask questions.

This book helped me become current again, and I'm very grateful. This is a terrific book.
on November 12, 2005
Don't expect a complete reference with this book. In this book you will find out what's new and augment what you already know about the framework. That being said, this is a solid book that is written for the professional developer. There are few illustrations, but the screenshots are good, and the code fragments are kept focused on illustrating the key points in the text.
on September 25, 2006
I have been through many VB books including expensive college texts. I immediately found this to be the best one. I picked it up at a Borders (oops...) because I was sick of ordering books online and not liking them when I finally got them in the mail. After I read the first chapter in the book store, I didn't want to wait to get started so I paid the $40.

I found that something simple like naming conventions or form design can ruin a potentially great book. Jesse Liberty uses the standard naming convention (txtName, btnSelect, etc.) and is not nearly as strict with form design as most books I have been through.

I recommend this as a second book because, though chapter 15 and 16 are superb in describing the basics, the complete beginner may be better off with a "For Dummies" book or something like that.

Some SQL knowledge also makes the book go down easier.
VINE VOICEon May 1, 2006
What's with the negative reviews on amazon for this book?!? Plain and simple, Jesse Liberty is one of the top technical writers out there in the field today and I have YET to read a book by him that I haven't liked. Who cares if there are a few typos in a book, the main things that I am concerned about are if the writing is good, the layout is easy to follow with images and graphics put in at the right places, and the flow is tight and concise. The author achieves all of these goals in this book -- quite simply, if you use Visual Basic 2005 and you want to become a better programmer and desire to learn from a true expert in the field, pick up 'Programming Visual Basic 2005' today... you won't regret it.

***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2005
Oh how I wished I had Jesse as a teacher when I was going through my college years. Very easy to understand and has a very "cool" sense of humor. He makes even the mundane "fun".

Great book for all levels of programmers, there is something for everyone. BTW, this is my first O'Reilly book, I will be looking for other "Jesse" books, I am very satisfied.
on November 8, 2005
For a Jesse Liberty Book I have to admit that this book is a tough read since you are forced to read the text in the book to understand the examples. Having been a vb6 middle tier programmer for years and not really too familiar with

windows programming in .net I am impressed that mr. liberty did not pass any framework .net 1.1 examples off as 2.0 in this latest vb.net 2.0 book as I have see in other books.

His step by step in explaining and demos in custom control makes the book a very worthwhile read. The validation controls was a good introduction as was the personalization.

I would have liked his book to go into more depth in databinding with datacontrols and web parts whilst removing vb.net 2005 fundamental chapters, GDI and mouse font chapters.

His book does not really cover web services in depth, however he has mentioned that his asp.net 2.0 book will be out soon. This book did not feel like an intro book although someone familiar with .net framework 1.1 basics can go through this book without problems whilst reading his explanations. This is a good book if you wish to develop windows apps in .net 2.0 and I plan to use it as a reference. There is definetly alot of features to learn from this book. If you are after a book which implements OO or architecture patterns for middle tier programming you will need to look elsewhere.
on June 26, 2006
After spending many hours trying to figure why the sample code didn't work, I found the answer buried on Jesse Liberty's message board. A fellow reader points out an error on Jan 21 and as of June 26 Jesse has yet to update his errata. Most tech books have a decent size errata and that is to be expected, but for an author to fail in his responsibility at the cost of many collective hours by his readers is extremely inconsiderate. This book is in my trash can at the moment.
on February 6, 2006
Jesse Liberty's Programming Visual Basic 2005 is a fine introduction to writing Windows and web applications in Visual Basic. It's a quick start for coding with a difference: chapters cover the steps to building applications which tech Visual Basic language concepts and syntax as you go along: this means a working knowledge of Visual Basic is built based upon need in a progressive manner leading to advanced techniques and comprehension.
on August 26, 2009
If you got this around the time it was published, it was gold. after 2007, probably not so much. Some of the chapters reference software that needs to be downloaded from the publisher/author's website. Can be problematic. Skill set and info is pretty darn good, though.