Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kenmore 21714 Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner Red w/ Swivel Plus Steering System
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on July 14, 2012
Kenmore is all I raved about for years due to my 15+ old Kenmore vacuum that worked like a charm. When that vacuum finally died I decided to buy a newer Kenmore. Bad Idea! I purchased the Kenmore Progressive Canister Red at Sears and have had the thing replaced twice and am now on my third non-working vacuum! The first vacuum had defects, the second vacuum stopped working, and my third one has now stopped working. All of this happened within a very short time of having them. Sears has stopped honoring their return policy because they are sick of me returning them with complaints and now I am out $400 and have a filthy house! Guess I'll need to go in search of a new favorite company.
1515 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
I had the same problem reported by others: the wand stops transmitting juice to the power head, meaning the brush won't run anymore. This happened after roughly 20 uses. It's a shame because this thing is powerful and has nice features. Most of it is built solidly but the wand is junk. In fact, the wand broke another way on the second or third use (the clip which keeps the handle connected to the wand broke). I am just glad I bought this as an open box special, and didn't spend more than about a hundred samoleans.
The part that I'm still confused about (other than how the heck you take apart the wand to fix it) is why consumer reports gave this high marks. That's the main reason I bought it...
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
My review is for a progressive purchased 4 years ago. Basically, the beater brush attachment stops working. It is due to the metal connection in the attachment breaking down, rusting. Ours stopped working intermittently by year one of ownership, so sometimes the beater would rotate, othertimes, it would not. My husband finally has figured out the issue. The metal used must be some sort of alloy that is not that great, on one side the prong is rusty???? So, he removed the rust and if you can rotate the connection just so as you use the vacuum, it works, but it is a huge PIA to operate. We have never ever used the vacuum anywhere but in our home, it has never been in contact with any moisture other than humidity. So, basically, our view is that the components used in these vacuums are not very high quality. The metal used in the wire is inferior. I have noticed the same issue with crappy quality bikes bought at box stores. The metal rusts on the wheels of the rims. Anyway, I would never ever purchase kenmore again. Until they address the issue of crappy electrical components.
on December 13, 2013
43 years into our marriage our second Electrolux finally wore out. Our home is 2400+ Sq. Ft., a mix of Wood and Carpet flooring. We read all the raves about the Kenmore Canisters and decided we'd go for the top one with the longer hose, the neat little lights that tell when dust and debris is still being pulled in, and telescoping wand. We are healthy, early 70s, active, I'm a DIY type and mechanically apt. I realized from the reviews and past experience, with retractables using ribbon type conductors, that it was best to just extend the Wand and leave it that way. Collapsing and Extending was inviting problems. What's Bad?: The design should have had a "Center of Balance" handle in the top surface. If you must carry it, you push the hose aside, grab the handle in it's nose, pick up it's 15 pounds and, as it is large in diameter, hold it away from your leg as it dangles. (Pity the 5 foot nothing woman as the butt of the thing will be on the floor) Installing the power nozzle, which weighs about 7 pounds while holding the wand vertically and compressing the tool release, is also fun. Since every connection component is Plastic, nothing slips together smoothly as it would if they were metal, Next you find that the Collection bag is about 25% larger than the Cavity it sits in so the bag doesn't actually fill to capacity. Since you are maneuvering a 7 pound object at the end of a roughly 60 inch handle expect to develop some extra wrist strength as you use the vacuum. There is a Bare floor attachment which if you press hard enough on the release that hold it in , you can wiggle it back off. The brush segments of that attachment will be converted to solid matting very shortly so expect to clean them often. The 9 feet of hose on this model is nice but since it attaches at a 90 degree angle it will get twisted and only rotates at the Canister end so you will have to step back to where you can rotate it there. All of the attachments are difficult in one way or another to install and remove.

What's good about it.: The handle has a switch with Floor and Carpet position for the Power Nozzle as well as a slide switch for varying the suction. The light on the wand and on the Power Nozzle are very good. It is relatively quite even with the Power head running and the Vacuum at full speed. The dust sensor is good, if you hit an area that has some ground in dust that hasn't been caught before, you will know when you have gotten all of it. The Vacuum really is powerful, good strong suction. How it will do as the cramped bag fills I don't know. We use a Shark Navigator for quick spiffing and it has the visible collection chamber, for the money and if you live in a small apartment, a much better buy.

If I were going for a Do-Over, I'd find a good repair shop and get that 25 year old Electrolux refurbed. It did a good job, had the center balance handle, weighed far less, had a power nozzle that fit under more furniture than the Kenmore does, all connection were metal, could have used a longer Hose.

**** Added 4-22-14 **** So, here we are 16 months down the road. WISH WE HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS PIECE OF CRAP We have been Customers of Sears since 1969, we have spent thousands with them over the years. The Progressive Vacuum is a worthless piece of CRAP. The wand release broke a month beyond warranty, no it was not abused. The slide resistor, in the handle, for adjusting the speed has stopped making contact so the motor only runs if you press on that part of the handle while trying to use the thing. I went to Sears Parts Direct, found the PC Board with switch and slide resistor for $43 and, when I went to pay, it says "People who purchase this item, often also purchase (You guessed it) the "Tool Release Actuator". You see, they know the release actuator breaks and is a problem. There should be a Sleazy Lawyer out there who will start a Class Action against Sears for this Vacuum.
on August 20, 2013
This vacuum has been gently used for a year and a half, and is no longer operational due to a short in the wand. For the price paid, I certainly expected it to last longer.

When I contacted Sears about this problem I was told that I could purchase a new wand assembly ~ $103.00 plus tax and shipping. Now, I think that paying 25% of the cost of the entire unit is crazy. It is obvious from reading the reviews on Sear's website, that this is a "known problem." I certainly wish I had read the reviews before purchasing.

So, unless you like throwing good money away, I would not recommend this unreliable product.
on November 19, 2013
I purchased a Kenmore vacuum just about 1 year ago. I have had to get the wand repaired 3 times costing over 400.00 dollars. I tried to get a new vacuum today but cannot because I am 10 day over my warrantee. What happen to the days of standing behind your products Kenmore??? What happen to the days of customer service and people who really care about how you feel when you use the product...not to mention the 5 times I had to call to get to the the right department.
I will never purchase anything from Kenmore.

Englewood Cliffs, NJ
on March 11, 2014
Just after 1 year, , all power stopped flowing to the end of the vacuum wand, meaning that the brush head and light stopped functioning entirely.

I took it in for repair and they said I would need to purchase a whole new wand. The repair shop gained nothing as they did not carry it and I had to order it online.

Within seven months, it happened again. I will need to buy another wand - or at this point I will purchase another vacuum.

Also, when you detach the brush head, you are not left with a good suction surface vacuum with. The attachment for small corners and spaces is weird, it has 2 grooves along the side so you do not get good suction when you try to get in corners or along walls.

Also, it was very cumbersome to switch heads/parts. The button to raise or lower the power brush head broke within a month of purchase.

You can do better.
on August 28, 2013
I have had this sweeper for a few years and it has been fix many times. I am taking it in again and this repair will be my 4th in a year. I am going to ask for a replacement under my maintenance agreement. The sweeper is okay, but to get it service by Sears takes 2-3 weeks and then the sweeper will come back either not fix or more parts broken on it. I am thinking of going with a dyson this time.
on October 19, 2014
Have always bought Kenmore... The wand on this unit has many posts in many different forums, including Sears Parts. The design is defective and the wiring in the wand breaks easily - then the powered head will not run. This wand should be a recall item for Sears. It should be replaced with no questions asked. It is not overuse, it breaks easily.
on February 27, 2014
I've had 2 Kenmore canister vacs in the past, they worked great and lasted a long time. I decided it was time to get a new one and even upgraded to the red one. Since I purchased it 2 months ago I have had it replaced twice for "defects" in the wand. Like the other reviews electricity was not reaching the powermate. I figured third time's a charm but no such luck! 2 weeks after receiving my second replacement it happened again!! It's passed the timeframe to receive my money back ($400). My mother purchased the same red vac and has had it replaced twice and repaired once in 3 months. I will never buy a Kenmore again! If I could rate it less than one star I would. They should be yellow instead of red because they are all LEMONS!!