Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on April 17, 2013
What happens when the new Soviet government that has the engineers to develop a hypersonic airplane secretly gets in bed with the Japanese mafia who have the technology to create said airplane? Something that members of the CIA, NSA, and KGB are very determined to figure out and put a stop to. Add into the mix a rogue Russian test pilot, a freelance money launderer, and several double deals and you have one heck of an intriguing plot.

While the storyline is riveting, I must admit that it was very hard for me to read. The technology of Mach speeds, hypersonic, scramjets, and an assortment of military planes was admittedly way over my head and I had a hard time making much sense of these segments. There is also the fact that there are characters of many different countries that speak in their native tongue. This lends a nice atmosphere of reality to the characters but as not many general readers speak Russian, Greek, or Japanese a bit of translation would have been nice. I couldn't help but feel that I was missing out on quite a bit of the dialogue. Then again, who knows, maybe it was just the foreign version of "Hey, how's the family?" and wasn't really pertinent to the plot after all, but I kind of doubt it.

All in all, this was an excellent hard to put down page turner that I would be willing to read again. I get the feeling there are many layers to the plot that would benefit from a second or even third read.
on May 10, 2013
The book was written when Japan was rising and there was a general concern that Japan Inc would dominate the world, at the same time the Soviet Union was declining. From that perspective, the plot could make sense. However, the author stretches credulity quite a bit with secret production facilities and some of the technology, as well as some of the plot elements. It's an okay read if you have some time and no other books at hand. But if you have other books, I'd move this one down toward the bottom of the list. The saving grace is that the book is at least well written. The grammar and style make for an easy, flowing read and the plot elements do hang together overall.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2011
I enjoyed this book it was an excellent book for being free. The ending was a little week, but the rest of the book was strong. I had a hard time putting this book down. I would have given this book 5it stars had the ending been stronger. Overall I would give this book a 4.5.
on June 16, 2011
This was a long novel. The plot was good but there was so much technical detail that it seemed to go on forever. I liked it but I'm not sure it was worth the time it took to read it. I found all the Japanese, Greek and Russian words distracting. Since I can read Russian, I found the trans-lit from Cyrillic to the English alphabet very distracting and many times incorrect.
on March 25, 2014
Did not know what to expect as I had never read this author before. Hoover has woven an exciting and suspenseful science and mystery tale as good as any I have read.
on October 24, 2013
I enjoyed this book although it could have been a little faster paced. Overall it was good and I assume most of the science was accurate to a point. Overall, I would recommend it and I look forward to reading more of Hoover's work, especially since some are free.
on February 4, 2013
This is a Science Fiction, futuristic novel. You have to use you imagination when reading this but if you can it is engaging. It follows familar plot lines, the characters are easy to become involved with. Think Battle Star Gallactia and you have a good idea what you are in for.
on March 2, 2012
This book was as entertaining as any I've ever read. Hoover is a great author. Definitely worth taking the time to read. Classic thriller with military and science fiction together.
on September 12, 2014
The author is very good at historical fiction. This book also combines high tech action and international intrigue..
on March 20, 2013
An excellent adventure mystery with a touch of science fiction. Could this really happen? It seems very likely. Believable characters and story line. A must read for anyone who thinks and dreams.