Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 347 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 427 reviews
on April 2, 2015
I live in Payette Idaho and this movie is a true example of what the gas companies can do to a community when they own the city managers. Idaho gave away the State to the gas companies in the form of legislation in favor of the gas companies. Most legislative members have leases with the gas companies. This movie shows the importance of hiring an Attorney before signing any lease. By the time new legislation is passed, the gas companies won't care as they will have their hold on the state. In the name of studies, the gas companies are doing millions of dollars in damage to properties in the State.
on June 20, 2013
I am certainly happy when Hollywood decides to show light on important issues regarding our life and living. So with that in mind I can only rate this movie okay. The story line attempted to judge an industry and for interest threw in the main characters struggle with his own poistion on the issue.
I give the cast 5 stars...I believe Matt Damon truly loved filming this movie in our backyards...he really seems to love the area and for that I would thank him - his acting ability has always been a favorite of mine as well.
But the entire story on the drilling has not been written at this point in time. Drilling will follow the course many other industries in this area have.. Drilling contracts are a huge blessing to some of our friends and neighbors. It was all about coal here...only a short time ago...and that industry was a blessing and a curse. Then steel...many prospered in the mills or died and many owners got rich beyond their dreams (think Carneige and Frick). But industry in any form brings jobs...jobs bring a strong economy. In the end I hope it loosens our dependency on foreign oil...that ONLY if the politicians, the greedy and SUPER rich stay out of the way.
on February 20, 2014
Sometimes it takes a good movie to portray the dangers of some of the new technologies that constitute the current bent of the "land". This movie doesn't disappoint and with Matt Damon staring, the dangers we face in fracking, when taken into account, are very destructible of our most precious resource, our precios land. If you think fracking is a great way to offset our dependence on foreign supplies, think again and move our country in the right direction, think again. We have the technology to do better but the big money cartels in the US and elsewhere would have you think differently and simply ignore the dangers. The "Promised Land" is a great movie describing both sides of this issue. When is the last time we have heard about fracking - well from the bully pulpit and that's all good news. The choice is ours to make and this movie is a good first choice that illustratively demonstrates that we need to change the direction we are heading for, before we lose our "Promised Land".
on June 10, 2013
Fans of Good Will Hunting will see that Matt Damon can still argue convincingly. Damon plays Steve who is an aggressive, lowballing salesman for a natural gas company whose specialty is fracking. While traveling rural Pennsylvania to lease land, Steve begins to encounter resistance from a town divided before he even gets there. At times, the Steve character reminds me of the political candidate Damon played in The Adjustment Bureau. A young man fueled by advancement who displays what appears to be honest, small town values when put on the spot by public outcry. As soon as the town wants the presence of the fracking company to be put to a vote, Steve loses leverage again when an influential environmentalist (John Krasinski) arrives unannounced. The clash between the environmentalist and the salesman is the best part of the movie. While half the town is anxiously signing land contracts faster than they can buy a lotto ticket, the skeptics who have farmed the land for generations don't want to be the generation that destroys the habitat. Steve doesn't understand the stubbornness of the opposition while he clearly shows the he is hurting personally by their lack of acceptance. In a related, real-life story: On May 8, 2013, citizens of Youngstown, Ohio voted DOWN a ban on fracking (and any activity relating to shale drilling) by a margin of 57% to 43%. Youngstown is geographically centered between Chicago and New York City.
on January 12, 2017
The idea of the movie is good (the evils of gas drilling) but the "F-Bomb" is used over and over which I find unnerving like scratching on a blackboard.. It is too late for me to return it so I guess I will just throw it in the trash.
on April 16, 2015
What a wonderful movie! A character-driven film, with some of the most talented actors we have in the U.S. -- "Promised Land" explores the tensions that exist between the needs and desires of a dying agricultural community struggling to survive these transitional economic time and the exploitative corporations poised to manipulate their fears and insecurities. It's a story about the gas industry and the very real threat to our environment caused by the practice of tracking. It's about corporate manipulation and greed. It's about human beings trying to understand right and wrong in a world that seems to have forgotten those distinctions.
on January 24, 2015
I enjoyed "Promised Land" way more than I thought I would. Despite which side of the fracking issue you are on, the movie manages to evaluate those sides fairly. It was interesting that Matt Damon's character, Steve Butler, was a proponent of fracking knowing Matt Damon himself most certainly isn't. The plot line was really clever and though the final outcome was mostly expected, you get there in a way that was not expected. Great casting, awesome scenery, superb acting particularly by Frances McDormand & Hal Holbrook (at age 88 nonetheless!) Grab the DVD and watch a good movie that will, if nothing else, open the gates of environmental discussion.
on August 7, 2017
Inspiring, although I'm not sure that small towns really can truly have the victories this movie suggests. Although it would be nice if they could.
on May 11, 2013
I enjoyed this movie. It was about a corporation called Global coming in to a small town to buy up land rights for natural gas deposits. Many issues were covered such as farming as a dying industry, what part does tradition and heritage play in the modern scene of survival, what is fracking and the risks involved, what are the ethical responsibilities of disclosure, plus the usual themes of big business as the bad guy and the salesman who will say anything to make a sale. In the end we all answer to our conscience, so there was not right or wrong conclusions given, just open ended perspectives to make you think how you would respond in the shoes of the salesman or the farmer or the town leader. I thought it presented several perspectives well, but since Hollywood is usually against Big Business, there was a clear bias again the corporation. I rented it for 48 hours and watched it twice (the 2nd time with my husband). Not too many movies you can watch back to back like that. I would see it again.
on May 28, 2013
If you destroy the family farm, keep the farmers in debt, kill them with regulation, put them one payment away from homelessness...when energy companies come calling on them with false promises of making them millionaires, you can steal their land out from under them.

While this is 'only a movie' it has a documentary feel, but with the heart and passions of a movie.

Lest we become Stepford 'Peasants" -- let's start using our internet tools like Facebook and other social sites to SHARE the link to this movie...AND to sign and SHARE the petitions that are circulating on the internet against Fracking, against GMOs, etc...

We are almost at the tipping point, to take this country back by ACTUALLY being a government of the people.