Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
on January 22, 2016
What a Wonderful Find, and what a wonderful, modernized/jazzed up version of the original Bacharach Show music. Both Kristin & Sean do outstanding jobs with these cute and SO, melodic, humerous & touching, songs. The more 'limited/smaller' Orchestra sound while not as full or enriching as on the original soundtrack from the late 60s, does a fine job of fleshing out these great little songs, as well as the prologue and finale sections of this so Underrated, Musical.
Have had this CD now for 4 months and still can't keep from listening to it at least once every few wks (at lst, every few days). Loved this show music since the early 70s, when I got to sing and perform some of the lead male actor tunes, in a college 'musical theater' master-class. They stick with you, IF you love great, broadway 'show tunes'. Bacharach should have kept composing for Broadway, at least on the side.........but, L.A. was home, and a much more laid back, sunny/mild place to live, compose, and play. A real KEEPER.
on June 28, 2010
Some of the existing reviews are by people who are fans of soundtracks, which explains their purchase, and have not necessarily seen the show. In this regard, I can understand their lack of enthusiasm for this cd, particularly with the quality of Sean Hayes' voice. No, it's not a standout soundtrack, on its own merit. However, having seen the show, I can tell you that the CD is perhaps better appreciated by someone who can bring to mind the performance. First off, let me say that no, Sean Hayes is no Robert Goulet in the voice department. However, he was an absolute delight on stage, well worthy of his Tony nomination, with most likely his vocal talents the secondary reason for his being cast. So to listen to his solos here, you might be scratching your head; to recall his performance through listening to his solos here is a most pleasant experience. The two songs that were added in were obviously done so to showcase Chenoweth's voice, and as they were both by Burt Bacharach and loosely fit the story, if you don't think too hard about it they work just fine. So while this will never equal Camelot in a poll of best soundtracks, listen to this light cd whose songs tell the story and take it for what it is - frothy fun, that inimitable Bacharach sound, the happy blending of Hayes and Chenoweth (who appear to have great chemistry on and off the screen) and the memories - for me, at least - of a lovely two hours spent at the theater.
on July 20, 2017
Fun album. Who knew Sean Hayes can sing? Kristin Chenoweth is as irritating as ever.
on January 30, 2017
I love musicals and listening to musical soundtracks. Contrary to what some of the previous reviewers say, I think Sean Hayes has a great voice which is perfect for this musical. I especially love "She Likes Basketball." It's an adorable song and he sings it perfectly. As for a nasal singing voice, who has a more nasal sound than Kristin Chenoweth? I hope Sean Hayes does more musicals!
on December 24, 2010
I was a Bacharach tragic from about 1963 and it was big, big news in 1968 when PROMISES, PROMISES premiered on Broadway. I bought the Original Cast recording with Jerry Orbach and Jill O'Hara and over the years pretty much wore it out. I was delighted to buy the CD reissue a few years ago. The show itself was a big hit in Australia where I live in 1970 and again I loved it. Fast forward to 2010 and the revival with Kristin and Sean. I bought the new CD and immediately loved it - Kristin is wonderful as ever; Sean has a different take on the Chuck Baxter character - more vulnerable and less forceful than Jerry Orbach but very valid and touching. I was lucky enough to visit New York in November 2010 and saw the show. Well, what a blast! The dancing, singing, production, orchestral vitality - it was everything a fan could want. Topping it off were delightful performances by Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth, not to mention Tony Goldwyn as the cad who performs in "Our Little Secret" and "Wanting Things". This version contains two ring-in Bacharach songs, "I Say A Little Prayer" and "A House Is Not A Home", used to poignant effect and sounding totally appropriate. Additional material is included - a verse for "Our Little Secret" and a fun instrumental break in "A Fact Can Be A Beautiful Thing". A hidden track presents a lounge version of Chuck Baxter's "Half As Big As Life". For an afficionado of this show these are great trinkets. I would not want to be without the Jerry Orbach recording but this one is quite special. I gather the show is ending in January when Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth's contracts expire. See it urgently. It's a delight.
on March 11, 2011
The first time I heard a cast recording of "Promises, Promises" was in 1975, when I was in college and the local library had the original cast recording (Jerry Orbach, et al). Every time I used the listening room at the library, "Promises" was the album I listened to over and over. For Christmas this past year (2010) my wife got me the new cast recording with Sean Hayes and Kristin Chenoweth. I haven't stopped listening to it since Christmas! The orchestrations are rich, the new arrangements are great, and I wish I could get to New York to see the show in person. I never realized Sean Hayes had such a great singing voice. And his comedic style (from the "Will and Grace" days) comes through in his vocal readings of these songs. As for Kristin Chenoweth, I've been a fan since the revival of "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown." She does a superb job of bringing character to the songs, does a beautiful job interpreting these great Bacharach/David tunes -- that's the reason I can't stop listening to the recording! Her reading of the classics "I Say A Little Prayer," "Knowing When To Leave," and "A House Is Not A Home," as well as the poignant "Whoever You Are, I Love You," are luscious. She could do an incredible Bacharach/David album! And together, Chenowith and Hayes give a memorable performance of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." Katie Finneran and Tony Goldwyn are equally superb in their roles as Marge MacDougal and J.D. Sheldrake. If you're looking for some music to set your spirits soaring, this is the album to get.
on September 24, 2010
I was really looking forward to this recording. Hits by Burt and Hal. Kristen and Sean. What could be more fun than to sit back and listen to this show? Well, it's more fun to listen to another show. "Promises, Promises" does not pormise to deliver at all. Sean Hayes sings like an amatuer, trying to get all the notes right and shows no interpretation or emotion in his voice at all. He is so boring to listen too. I feel for Katie Finneran who delivers her song with so much vocal interpretation, yet has no one to bounce off of. The big surprise for me was Tony Goldwyn's voice. Wow! A dash of Sinatra and a sprinkling of Tony Bennet. Love it. And Kristen is such a delight to listen to again and again. From this recording I would not see the show as Sean is a main player and I really couldn't stand watching him for 3 hours on the stage. I would definately go and see the show if I knew for a certainty that Sean's undestudy was performing. At least the understudy would have an excuse. I'm filing this CD under "Some songs are worth forwarding on."
on August 23, 2017
Great sound
on July 25, 2010
I had a chance to see some of the performances of Kristen Chenoweth and Sean Hayes on the Tony awards and although I was a child when the Play was first on Broadway I thought it would be worth the chance to get the entire cast CD. I was right! Kristen is at full voice and is the Diva I adore. She brings the full emotional scale to each of her songs. Hayes is very capable in this play and I have to admit I was a bit suprized by his singing voice.
All and Backarack/David standard from the decade are still strong from the days when they were played on the FM radio 40 years ago. And I found a habit forming tune that closes out the first act the best suprise of them all. "Turkey Lurkey time" was a bit of a novelty but I found myself humming it at work in spite of myself.
If you like Classic Broadway and Chenoweth, and how doesn't?, Treat yourself to this CD.
on September 19, 2010
I purchased this CD after seeing the show in NY in August. What a treat - the show was fantastic, funny, and the music(I love Burt Bacharach) was of course great. They wanted $28 at the show for this CD. I don't know why anyone would pay that for a CD so I ordered it from Amazon and it came in a couple of days for $14.00 including shipping!

I love the CD. I think Sean Hayes did a great job and, believe it or not, his voice was even better in person! I was not expecting him to have such a good voice. Kristen Chenoweth was great but I don't think the songs in the show really showcased her voice. She does better as a high soprano.

I especially love the song "Promises Promises" at the end. It is so upbeat and triumphant that you just want to get up and applaud.