Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on January 26, 2014
Obviously, the best feature of this softbox is its portability. By folding it flat, you can easily store it inside any bag pocket. Used with your favorite speedlite flash, you can achieve an even and soft diffused light to your subject. It is great for taking outdoor portraits.

Pros:

Very portable. Collapses into a flat shape.
Easy to use.
Fits virtually any speedlite flash.
Comes with a nice bag.
Very affordable.
Quality material. Built to last.

Cons:

When it's fully expanded, it tends to fold back in and lose its shape.
review image
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I am pleasantly surprised with this product, given the low price. The nice features I think worth mentioning:
1. The stretchy velcro attachment around the flash head is further secured by little rubber grips inside the narrow end of the funnel.
2. The interior is lined with a silvery fabric.
3. There is a removable inner diffuser as well as the main diffuser on the front face. To use the inner diffuser simply reach inside and detach the little piece of white cloth that is pinned to one side. Stretch it across the base of the funnel, and secure it to the velcro strip on the opposite side of the funnel.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 28, 2014
I really would have given this product a solid 4 stars but the reason for the 3 stars is something critical to my work.

Pros

Cheap
Solid and Durable
Its a miniture soft box, which is great.

Cons

To have this work correctly, the softbox needs to almost fit flush against the flash head, which means, due the its size, it needs to be secured close the the flash bend. It becomes a tug-of war when you need to bend the flash head when the tightly secured piece impedes movement.

When you move the piece further up the flash, then there's another challenge.
It's not as secure on the flash
The neck of difuser blocks the actual output (because it's so long and the difuser head kinda hangs off), at first I thought something was wrong with my flash head, when I removed the diffuser, my flash was fine. Just like some other reviewer here, due to the size of the diffuser, it does block the AF light.

After going through the learning curve of application this piece is great, I would recommend it. Just heads up on what to expect.
on April 12, 2014
So I checked through a bunch of flash modifiers and either they were not effective, they were hard to get on and fell off easily, they were floppy or they were overpriced. Bought this on a promotion with some other things adding less than ten dollars to the order. if it was junk.. no loss.

Let me tell you, I am thoroughly impressed not only with the value but with the results. Using an SB700 with TTL isn't bad, but you can still get some oily hot spots on the nose and cheeks that can't really be fixed well in post. This modifier does just enough to eliminate that. It has foil inside to spread the light and the front white element is just right. Not too much power eaten but a definite softening of the light. Very easy to put on and the stretchy strap and rubber grips inside the unit grip the flash tightly and it stays perfectly erect. Win on the design, double bonus for a really low price. It will stay in my bag.

Does it look ridiculous like you might be worried about? I don't think so, but who cares? Go big or go home. A full frame camera or a DX with a battery grip and an external flash with a giant lens hanging off the front is already ridiculous to most people. It is about getting the shot, right? Go big or go home. I am not a fan of gimmicky, over-hyped items but I strongly recommend you try this thing out.
on August 28, 2014
This is one of the nicer softbox covers I've used. The best part is the elastic strap with velcro connection that ensures a tight fit around the speedlight. The strap is connected to the softlight so you don't need to worry about losing it. It' also folds COMPLETELY flat, unlike some of the other softboxes I've used. I liked it so much, I ordered a second one to replace my original softbox for my primary speedlight.
on September 15, 2016
This is a nice little diffuser for your flash.
It is easy to open and attach and I usually have no issues. Every once on a while it will want to fold down so I have to open it back up, but not enough to be a nuisance. It's nice for close ups on faces or macro photography.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 2, 2014
This is easy to put on, it attaches securely and will fit any speedlight with no problem. The effect was just as advertised, shadows were greatly reduced, more so with the inner baffle- even from a distance (however the light does become harsher at a distance). the design seems sturdy, there are no bars or wires but it hold it's shape nicely. There is virtually no set up other than to simply connect the Velcro to the baffle if you wish to use it. I have rented the gary fong (expensive) diffusers in the past and this gave me the same results. This is not really for use as a soft box I think, although as long as you are close enough to your subject it does give that 'soft box' effect. This is well worth the few bucks, much better than I was expecting for the price.
I was looking at a Gary Fong and it was $60. I found this little beauty for $8 and am over joyed with it. Just what I wanted. There is a small white diffuser inside it stuck to the side with velcro. You can add it to further diffuse the light. Anyway for the price I paid for this its superb. Could not recommend it any higher than I am.... its wonderful.
on October 8, 2013
This is a very effective softbox. It is inexpensive and may not hold up to a rigorous life of constant use, but for my occasional product photographs, it works great. It fits very snugly on my external flash and does a good job of softening the shadows around the item being photographed. I would recommend this to anyone who needs to use of a softbox.
on August 7, 2014
Almost perfect! Does a great job of diffusing light, letting me bounce soft light off a wall behind me or low ceiling. It fits my Neewer and Metz flashes and is compact enough that I can spin the flashes around on my Sony a99 and not cause the soft box to fall off.

My only complaint is that it doesn't stay 100% taut. The bottom part is flexible and the diffuser can sometimes sag down slightly (this is visible in the stock photo on Amazon, actually). It probably doesn't affect the light much but it did need to be propped back up three or four times during the wedding I shot last weekend. For the price, it gets 4 stars (maybe even 4.5)