Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Jon Batiste PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
66 comments| 299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2015
Well written, with a scientific mindset towards a difficult and uncertain subject. I personally think that stories about people's NDEs must be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm under the impression from the read that Mr Alexander is trying as best he can to tell it as it was for him.

Definitely a worthy read for any reason.
on June 7, 2015
This book was an incredible read whether or not you believe in the divine. This book opened my eyes and my heart to connecting with my higher self. I hope science will some day focus on discovering more about consciousness instead of being willfully ignorant. There is so much out there to be discovered. I hope I can tap into some of it. Thank you for sharing your story. I sure enjoyed every word in the book.
on January 6, 2014
Dr. Alexander provided us with an incredible opportunity to see inside the world of consciousness and beyond. Anyone who has read or studied consciousness probably can feel a great sense of affirmation in this report. I am loving this book and am eternally grateful for his ability to come back physically and share his experience. It is a beautiful book and ought to be read by anyone who is afraid of, not afraid of, curious about, obsessed with or facing death. From all accounts, though each unique, the experience of death is not what we've been convinced is the worst thing that can happen to us. Knowing that we are Love, so much more than the limited picture we have of ourselves, and we are Loved so greatly is such an ephemeral experience that it feels ridiculous to put words on it. I am humbled to be given this opportunity with Dr. Alexander's gift.
on June 20, 2014
This book served to confirm to me that God is always there for us; that we are loved and cherished; that we have nothing (not one thing) to fear and there is nothing (not one thing) we can do wrong. This book removed a lot of the guilt I had acquired in my thirty years of organized religion. It gave me hope and confirmed to me the reality of the love of the Father (Om) and that there is absolutely nothing (not one thing) that we can do to earn his love. His love is forever steadfast towards us and we are deeply anchored in him. Whether we choose to affiliate ourselves with a Church, Mosque or Synagogue or we don't, he still loves us so much we will never be able to comprehend in this life. I wish I had this book thirty years ago.
on December 30, 2013
The one star ratings on here are ridiculous!! First off, not one single book will be "proof" for anything, let alone for such a profound and controversial subject as this. But its an extraordinary contribution to the NDE literature out there. The "proof" you ask?? The fact that he is turning the gears of his entire life purpose to share his journey. The fact that he is willing to sound absurdly crazy especially as a neurosurgeon in order to spread the message of greater GOOD in the universe. Malpractice claims blah blah? If you were reading correctly he explains the life difficulties he endured right before the experience and just after. Besides the fact many doctors have "bad reviews" even lawsuits...(no one reports the good stuff anyway) BUT what's your point? Narcissism? Decades in practice will do that to you, it's the "language" if you will, that any doctor speaks and keeps this tone for other non-believers like he once was. Hello!! 5 stars all the way! Obviously it takes the experience itself to fully understand but we at least can know how deeply it's changed a neurosurgeon among many thousands of other people! Just take it as a 5 star worthy contribution okay?
on January 12, 2013
I've been researching NDE's and OOBE's for quite some time. This book is extraordinary in it's import and implications, and that it happened at all, of course. Personally, I've never had an NDE, but have had two out-of-bodies which served to remove the fear of death, although I freely admit that dying might not be that much fun ;-) I got the sense that this book is a message in a bottle contrived by the other side with the Doctor as the agent of change. I feel that the book was probably edited too heavily - the only way to really get the true feel for what was experienced is to get ahold of that first writing after the event - that 20 pages. As it is, I felt there was more to tell. It is a must read for those with any interest in life and death (who isn't?). If the world has you stressed out, read this book - it can relieve many anxieties you may not realize you even have. It is truly a gift wondrously given.
on July 19, 2015
This story describes the author's journey beyond death. As an eminent doctor himself, he is closely observed by a team of medical specialists during a period of coma when his cerebral cortex is totally shut down. Despite this seeming impossibility, Dr Alexander describes an amazing presence beyond life on earth that is balm for the soul. If Eben Alexander is to be believed (and his story seems genuine), then our new age concepts of an after life may be radically changed. His book is well-written and the story is riveting.
on March 29, 2013
I have been a voracious reader at times in my life, but not lately as I am caught up in motherhood, work, family. I admit that I have, since my late teens, at times dabbled, other times immersed, myself in meditation, consciousness expansion etc. My sister sent me this book for Christmas and I read it non-stop for a few days. I will say that it transformed me during the time I read it and afterwards for several weeks and beyond. People who have taken illicit drugs talk of a "contact high", and that is the only way that I can describe what I experienced after reading the book. I felt expanded, joyous, loving and blissful. At times it was almost overwhelming - I felt that I was connected to all other life. I also, not having been raised in a church or a religion, felt an understanding towards the religions of the world and the people who followed them. I saw the core of every religion as essentially the same and felt unbounded and bonded. It was amazing and I can't explain it's occurrence, but I miss it. It was awesome, in the true sense of the word.

I also, intellectually, felt disappointed. As others have said, he doesn't really go into very much scientific detail. As a medical professional I wanted to see MRI results, EEG results, medical records - or at least links to them if I wanted to see them. From a medical point of view it was all very superficial, and as a neurosurgeon I would have thought he could see that. My only conclusion from the lack of this information was that it doesn't support his claims.

The expansion and bliss have faded, leaving me with a feeling of loss and wanting to get it back. I don't know what to say in conclusion about the book. I have recommended it to others, with varying responses, and I feel I am still experiencing lingering effects, not all of them pleasant. And I have been left with an enduring feeling that consciousness is an enigma that we really have no understanding of, and that in itself was worth the read.
on June 12, 2013
Very interesting book. I highly recommend it, easy read, sad, hopeful and inspires me. Give it a read, you won't be sorry, but be ready as it is not a "how to" book nor does it reveal the secrets of the universe or anything, but gives you an idea of what may be beyond this life. It fits with everything I think it will be... funny thing is, we will all find out one day what the truth is!

Look, I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I am disturbed by the rebuttal books to this book, how can you rebut someones personal experience when you haven't even had a NDE anyhow? For Christians to say this book doesn't fit their belief system, it does, you just don't see it. I honestly do not know if this was a real experience or not, but it sounds like what I would expect with the exception that is sounds like he started out in Hell and moved up... Can you be stuck there forever or what? I dunno because I would like to think there are cosmic consequences for the likes of Hitler and such, but we never have those answers, but the book makes it sound like everyone gets in.

As faithful as I am I have a hard time believing the Bible is the exact word of God, sorry, but consider the simple fact that we know the Earth is more than 6,000 years old, but did you consider that maybe God's time is a different scale than ours? So, maybe the Earth is only 6KL years old, in God time... 4 billion years for us. Heck, just read Leviticus and tell me this is the God of peace and love, see what I mean? BTW, I read the Bible so, whatever.