Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 9,530 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,624 reviews
on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
11 comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2016
This is an utterly riveting account. I first purchased this as a Kindle book back when it was released, but have just purchased the physical book as well, so that I can lend it out.

Dr. Alexander's story will inspire not only faith that there is an afterlife, but questions about the very nature of life itself. How, for example, can there be a terrestrial world with terrestrial creatures, such as the girl on the butterfly wing? What about sound? Visuals? Aren't these phenomena that require eyes and ears to apprehend? Or, is it consciousness - both centered in the body and outside of it - that produces these experiences?

(To supplement your reading: Esquire magazine published an article purporting to "debunk" Dr. Alexander's truthful account of his experience. Be sure and do a web search of IANDS (the International Association for Near Death Studies's statement on that article. It debunks the debunker.)
on March 27, 2017
I am thinking of so many people who are dear to me who need this book. My hope is that the great majority will accept my invitation to read it. I hope they will not reject that opportunity. If they do read it, it will touch their spiritual selves...the very part of them which science has largely succeeded in convincing them does not exist. The unique perspective of this particular author is of great importance in both having had the experience and in the telling of it. That was not an accident.
on March 2, 2013
As I scientist myself I tend to be a bit of a skeptic about experiences like those claimed by Eben Alexander in this book. I have seen a number of books like it recently, but have not really been drawn to read them as they are easy to dismiss off hand, either being the result of a child's experience or by those with a clear religious background.

However, Alexander's book is harder to ignore. This is from a man who began as a skeptic, although from a religious background and culture, but who also had these experiences while affected by a condition that makes it possible to rule out most, or all, of the previous scientific explanations for any NDE occurrence.

While the author does tend to get a bit detailed with the medical jargon, which as a geologist is a bit detailed for me, I can see that he does so in order to show those who are interested what exactly was occurring medically. In doing so we can see that this was not an ordinary NDE, but in fact may very well be what all proponents of NDEs claim them to be - that is an actual experience of an afterlife. He supports this with an appendix that includes all possible medical explanations for his experience and why they offer no clear answer as to how this could have occurred, as well as a signed witness statement by the treating doctor that his medical condition was as stated in the book.

Without delving into too many details, his written account is relatively easy to follow, and in fact can be quite emotional and personal. But you are left at the end with the difficultly of dismissing this account as easily as you might were it devoid of the scientific basis and understanding that the author has.

All in all, this is a very interesting book that I think should be read by anyone who is skeptical about these events, so that they can be left to make up their own mind from this more scientifically grounded version.
on March 9, 2017
Ever wonder if there really is life after death? Ever doubted yourself? Well then, this book is for you — especially those of you who believe science is the end all and be all of this world. We are loved. There is a God. And we will never be separated completely from Him. Sit down. Put your feet up. And take a journey into reality.
on April 20, 2017
I just finished listening to the audio book of this title and this is an excellent book. Eben Alexander, M.D., a neurosurgeon, explained his near death experience from bacterial meningitis. He was in a coma for a week and his doctors thought he would either not live or he would be permanently, severely disabled. Instead he recovered fully. Since he is and was a medical doctor and neurosurgeon when this happened, the experience gave him a new point of view on near death experiences. He thought near death experiences were not real from a spiritual standpoint before he went into a coma. When he woke up from the coma, he had a different opinion. While his conscious brain was and had to be shut down by the bacterial meningitis, he went through spiritual experiences which he remembered when he recovered physically. He explains there is no way he could have been just hallucinating because the parts of his brain that process conscious thoughts were completely disabled by the virus. While in a coma, he met his biological sister who had previously passed away and whom he had never met or seen in real life. There was no way he could have known who she was while he was in a coma (or earlier), but the person he met while he was in a coma, with his brain shut down by a virus, was his deceased sister. This is pretty strong corroboration for his story. Excellent story, excellent presentation, well worth reading or listening to the audio book.
on January 24, 2014
My siblings and I lost both of our parents in the latter part of 2013. One of my sisters (G) had been heavily involved with the care of both parents. G is an exceptional occupational therapist with years of experience treating patients and running two clinics. She asked me to read this book and get back to her. (We live at a distance of 2000 miles from each other.) Amazon.com got the book to me in two days and I read it immediately -- but I read all the nay-sayers first. I don't think any of them made a convincing case to dispute what was written in this book.I have a strong academic background (two Masters and a PhD) and have been a professor of critical thinking courses for 30 years. I looked for all of the named faults as I read the book. Narcissism I did not find. A human being with flaws (yes! we all have them) and even the best doctors have made mistakes and have also been the victims of malpractice suits. The narrative which included information about Dr. Alexander's two families and his friends grounded the subject of the book well. It brought it "down to earth". Finally, I am a Christian and found nothing offensive in the book, including the use of the term OM. I am glad my sister asked me to read this book. I've suggested that she journal all of her feelings related to what she experienced as our parents died as well as how this book has helped her come to terms with all she experienced. I also recommended that she read more on the subject as suggested in the book itself and its list of resources. And I will follow my own suggestions as I prepare for the trip home for the internment of ashes on March 1 -- the date of my parents' wedding anniversary .
on May 11, 2017
Book arrived on time. no worries. good read. very interesting to read about the after life experiences of a scientist. Gives you a lot to consider. If this Doctor is completely convinced by what he experienced, then we should all pause and consider the possibility that there is a purpose to everyone's life and that we really do have souls. Each and everyone of us. Animals too.
on February 6, 2017
Never before have I read a book that so soundly puts to words all the proof of our true lives on earth, in heaven and the reality of who we are. This is by far one of the best books I've ever read. I can't wait to meet Dr. Alexander in person.
on December 13, 2012
Proof of Heaven is a wonderful true story, well documented and easily believed, that Eben Alexander III, MD had a legimitate NDE event (or numerous ones), and that his life was greatly impacted by these events where he met 'his Creator' during a coma brought on by bacterial meningitis. Easily believable by me, credibly documented by author. There was way too much medical information, statistics, and minutiae incorporated into the body of the book which was very distracting to me. But as a practicing neurosurgeon at the time of his coma, he may have incorporated this as 'validation' to his fellow colleagues. The fact that he lived through this experienced is very unusual, as mentioned in the book. The fact that he was able to recall his experiences in such imagry and descriptive eloquence is a credit to his 'mental recall' and determination, and the 'gift' of all this is that is that finally, now, he could relate to those documentated cases of NDE's in medical journals that he had previously written off as unbelievable, made up, or fabricated.