Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 9,579 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,681 reviews
on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
11 comment| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2016
This was the most convincing book I came across while preparing for how to deal with my husbands quickly approaching death from glioblastoma.In the 2 to 3 weeks before his death he saw deceased family members: our daughter, his sister, his grandfather,and even one of our sweet dogs who had passed. This author helped to assure me that he was going to a good place...or was already there. 15 days before he died he told me he was "almost there" and then said he "felt really good". This so much comforted me because to look at him this didn't seem possible. This book made his statements more convincing.
on August 24, 2013
We have both the book and CD of this publication and I have to say that, while I almost always prefer books to "books on audio", I far prefer listening to this on CD than reading the printed version. The reason is that, since the audio version is being read by the author and not a paid professional, the description of his experience is richer than the printed version as you can "hear" the excitement in the authors voice as he describes a particular experience, or hear that he puts emphasis on one word in a sentence and not another....a difference that can present a very different meaning. And when describing such an esoteric experience, these difference can be very important in understanding what happened to him. Listening to him describe his fantastic experience provides critical color and depth you do not receive when reading the book.

As far as the story goes, its a must read (or "listen") that importantly, transends any particular religious denomination. And what makes it so credible is his background as a doctor and scientist. In certain chapters, he explains in a very detailed and scientific level why its impossible that these experiences could have been fabricated by his earthly mind. You come away with the impression that, "this guy knows what he is talking about" which sets the stage for the incredible story that follows.

He presents his experience in an oscillating manner, each chapter alternating between what is happening to his physical body in the hospital, to what his spirit is experiencing as it enters a heavenly realm. Many parts are hair raising (in a wonderful and beautiful way). I'm not sure why, but I can connect and see what he is describing as he goes through the experience as though that on some level, I know I have been there before as well and I have a feeling many other listeners will have the same experience of thinking..yah...I dont know why...but on some level...I KNOW what he is talking about!
on March 27, 2017
I am thinking of so many people who are dear to me who need this book. My hope is that the great majority will accept my invitation to read it. I hope they will not reject that opportunity. If they do read it, it will touch their spiritual selves...the very part of them which science has largely succeeded in convincing them does not exist. The unique perspective of this particular author is of great importance in both having had the experience and in the telling of it. That was not an accident.
on May 31, 2017
An amazing story written by someone who is beyond reproach as far as the entire thing being explained away as fantasy or a dream of what he wanted things to be. Dr. Alexander does a good job of speaking to the layperson on his profession, the brain and how it functions, and he lays out clearly how what happened to him truly was medically impossible. A short book at under 200 pages, which makes it a quick read, but don't let that fool you, it is a powerful message.
on January 30, 2015
As an ICU nurse, I could not put this book down. I read it all the way through in one sitting. I have cared for so many comatose patients and been beside countless patients as they passed away. My religious belief of a life after death has always been at odds with my factual understanding of personality and consciousness as functions of the brain. The "personhood" of the long term comatose patient was gone. But where? And this is the question that the author, neurosurgeon, attempts to answer from his own experience. Absolutely spell-binding.
on March 2, 2013
As I scientist myself I tend to be a bit of a skeptic about experiences like those claimed by Eben Alexander in this book. I have seen a number of books like it recently, but have not really been drawn to read them as they are easy to dismiss off hand, either being the result of a child's experience or by those with a clear religious background.

However, Alexander's book is harder to ignore. This is from a man who began as a skeptic, although from a religious background and culture, but who also had these experiences while affected by a condition that makes it possible to rule out most, or all, of the previous scientific explanations for any NDE occurrence.

While the author does tend to get a bit detailed with the medical jargon, which as a geologist is a bit detailed for me, I can see that he does so in order to show those who are interested what exactly was occurring medically. In doing so we can see that this was not an ordinary NDE, but in fact may very well be what all proponents of NDEs claim them to be - that is an actual experience of an afterlife. He supports this with an appendix that includes all possible medical explanations for his experience and why they offer no clear answer as to how this could have occurred, as well as a signed witness statement by the treating doctor that his medical condition was as stated in the book.

Without delving into too many details, his written account is relatively easy to follow, and in fact can be quite emotional and personal. But you are left at the end with the difficultly of dismissing this account as easily as you might were it devoid of the scientific basis and understanding that the author has.

All in all, this is a very interesting book that I think should be read by anyone who is skeptical about these events, so that they can be left to make up their own mind from this more scientifically grounded version.
on May 11, 2017
Book arrived on time. no worries. good read. very interesting to read about the after life experiences of a scientist. Gives you a lot to consider. If this Doctor is completely convinced by what he experienced, then we should all pause and consider the possibility that there is a purpose to everyone's life and that we really do have souls. Each and everyone of us. Animals too.
on March 9, 2017
Ever wonder if there really is life after death? Ever doubted yourself? Well then, this book is for you — especially those of you who believe science is the end all and be all of this world. We are loved. There is a God. And we will never be separated completely from Him. Sit down. Put your feet up. And take a journey into reality.
on January 24, 2014
My siblings and I lost both of our parents in the latter part of 2013. One of my sisters (G) had been heavily involved with the care of both parents. G is an exceptional occupational therapist with years of experience treating patients and running two clinics. She asked me to read this book and get back to her. (We live at a distance of 2000 miles from each other.) Amazon.com got the book to me in two days and I read it immediately -- but I read all the nay-sayers first. I don't think any of them made a convincing case to dispute what was written in this book.I have a strong academic background (two Masters and a PhD) and have been a professor of critical thinking courses for 30 years. I looked for all of the named faults as I read the book. Narcissism I did not find. A human being with flaws (yes! we all have them) and even the best doctors have made mistakes and have also been the victims of malpractice suits. The narrative which included information about Dr. Alexander's two families and his friends grounded the subject of the book well. It brought it "down to earth". Finally, I am a Christian and found nothing offensive in the book, including the use of the term OM. I am glad my sister asked me to read this book. I've suggested that she journal all of her feelings related to what she experienced as our parents died as well as how this book has helped her come to terms with all she experienced. I also recommended that she read more on the subject as suggested in the book itself and its list of resources. And I will follow my own suggestions as I prepare for the trip home for the internment of ashes on March 1 -- the date of my parents' wedding anniversary .