Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 9,494 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,586 reviews
on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2016
This is an utterly riveting account. I first purchased this as a Kindle book back when it was released, but have just purchased the physical book as well, so that I can lend it out.

Dr. Alexander's story will inspire not only faith that there is an afterlife, but questions about the very nature of life itself. How, for example, can there be a terrestrial world with terrestrial creatures, such as the girl on the butterfly wing? What about sound? Visuals? Aren't these phenomena that require eyes and ears to apprehend? Or, is it consciousness - both centered in the body and outside of it - that produces these experiences?

(To supplement your reading: Esquire magazine published an article purporting to "debunk" Dr. Alexander's truthful account of his experience. Be sure and do a web search of IANDS (the International Association for Near Death Studies's statement on that article. It debunks the debunker.)
on January 11, 2014
Dr. Alexander writes about his personal near death experience (NDE), which was unique in its causes and somewhat different than most reported NDEs. His insights are deeply personal, and the doctor stresses the impossibility of using language to describe what happened to him - or at least his remembrance of it - but he determined that the experience was valid and had a purpose. The purpose was to allow him to expose the fact that consciousness survives the death of the body. Like many other NDEs reported his is both unique and common. Much like the survivors of the Titanic, each has their own special story but all of the stories swing around the common theme of shipwreck.

Evidence of the doctors experience actually comes from a source not mentioned by him. As he detailed in the book, his near death was the result of a specialized bacteriological agent that, if it was loosed upon humanity, could destroy at least half the people on earth in a year. And while he talks for awhile about this bacteria and what it could do, it is actually a minor part of his story. There is the key. As a rock solid scientists and medical man, in other circumstances his ENTIRE focus would be on that potentially mass killing agent and not on his personal experience. But in this instance his entire focus is on his remembered incident.

This focus is unusual in the extreme for a person with the author's background. This should tell the reader that Dr. Alexander is absolutely sincere and deeply believes that what he saw, heard, felt, and otherwise went through was absolutely real.

The author does not spend any time on philosophy or trying to explain the conundrum of life. Descartes' "ghost in the machine" doesn't concern him. He tells us that consciousness is nothing like any philosopher has told us or could ever tell us. What the doctor has said is life and consciousness are so vast and mysterious that they cannot be explained in language or comprehended by our earthly minds. Deeply within creation is what he sometimes terms a creator, but he stresses that our minds cannot grasp what this reality is or means. With this he moves far beyond human experience as a foundation for truth. He clearly denotes that our minds cannot find or determine truth and could not comprehend it if we did find it - at least through observation and measurement. What he describes is beyond measurement and science.

While the doctor does not say it, his ideas mean that all our philosophy and science will not attain the ultimate goal of understanding existence because we are not capable of such understanding. His result is neither rational or irrational, it is beyond any kind of rationality. In the final boiled down explanation he tells us love is the key to the universe and that we can, through meditation and other semi-spiritual means, move closer to that truth. This idea is not new, and in fact reaches back thousands of years to the very beginnings of humanity. Thus, the doctor offers little that is new outside of his individual experience.

The book is easy to read and understand and gives the reader a good insight into the doctor's mind. Dr. Alexander is a brilliant man and has a mind honed to a fine edge by his education and insights. Well worth the time to read. His list of other reading sources on NDE is excellent.

AD2
on April 20, 2017
I just finished listening to the audio book of this title and this is an excellent book. Eben Alexander, M.D., a neurosurgeon, explained his near death experience from bacterial meningitis. He was in a coma for a week and his doctors thought he would either not live or he would be permanently, severely disabled. Instead he recovered fully. Since he is and was a medical doctor and neurosurgeon when this happened, the experience gave him a new point of view on near death experiences. He thought near death experiences were not real from a spiritual standpoint before he went into a coma. When he woke up from the coma, he had a different opinion. While his conscious brain was and had to be shut down by the bacterial meningitis, he went through spiritual experiences which he remembered when he recovered physically. He explains there is no way he could have been just hallucinating because the parts of his brain that process conscious thoughts were completely disabled by the virus. While in a coma, he met his biological sister who had previously passed away and whom he had never met or seen in real life. There was no way he could have known who she was while he was in a coma (or earlier), but the person he met while he was in a coma, with his brain shut down by a virus, was his deceased sister. This is pretty strong corroboration for his story. Excellent story, excellent presentation, well worth reading or listening to the audio book.
on December 14, 2015
finished this awhile ago, compelling evidence of a"beyond ". Eben is a doctor /surgeon. Complete with stories from other people who had Near Death Experiences, he tells his story of eight days in a coma, with a technical twist to it. Instead of a teary, emotional, take, he tells it objectively, from a logical viewpoint, with descriptions that are VERY good, for something that exists beyond our senses, so it's extremely difficult to find the right words to describe. Try explaining sight to a blind man, for example. I've heard the term ultra real, for example, and that does nothing for me. Colors and sounds that don't exist on earth, you can "see" sounds. He tackles it head on and very well. His sequel, Map of Heaven is worthwhile as well. He is the foremost expert on the subject
on March 27, 2017
I am thinking of so many people who are dear to me who need this book. My hope is that the great majority will accept my invitation to read it. I hope they will not reject that opportunity. If they do read it, it will touch their spiritual selves...the very part of them which science has largely succeeded in convincing them does not exist. The unique perspective of this particular author is of great importance in both having had the experience and in the telling of it. That was not an accident.
on November 10, 2012
I pre-ordered this title when I heard it was written by a respected Neurologist who had held, previous to his own "Near-death experience (NDE)," to the standard line that consciousness is a product of brain function. When I was finally able to read it, I was happy to find, first of all, that this was written in a very non-technical accessable fashion...in fact it reads a bit like a novel, as he recounts his experience while in coma resulting from severe bacterial menengitis. Much is about the experience of his friends and family, which he obviously had to piece together after hearing their stories after his recovery. A lot of it (an almost tedious amount of it, in fact) is about how dire his situation was while in coma to demonstrate how unlikely it was that he was able to fully recover, and how unlikely, from the conventional medical point of view, he should have any conscious experience whatever while in coma. And the experience itself is quite remarkable, and fairly unique among NDE experiences; a uniqueness he addresses as attributable to his circumstances (I would tend to agree). He relates a lot of personal information about his life and how meaningful his experience has been in resolving his deep personal issues. He also reflects in various ways about the experience, as his on-going effort to process what happened to him, I think. By the end of his account, just when you think he has told all, he reveals a starling little twist that really does approach the claim of "proof" in the title.

Now, I have been an avid follower of NDE research ever since Raymond Moody's seminal "Life After Life," and found the account by Eben Alexander especially compelling because of his strict orientation as a scientist and neurologist. As such he was in a unique position to evaluate his experience, and came away utterly convinced that consciousness is definitely not a product of brain function, but exists independent of the brain and body; the complete opposite of what he believed prior to his experience. Previously he believed that the death of the brain meant the end of consciousness, but his experience taught him otherwise. One thing I should point out, though, is since he was in a coma, and not in a state of clinical death, that this experience should not be described as a "near-death" experience in the classical sense. I think that the fact he was not technically dead would account for the differences between his experiece and the experiences of those who technically "died" and rescusitated (this is just my non-expert opinion, though). Nevertheless, I find his account very compelling as his brain was, although not technically dead, virtually non-functional during his experience, and so invalidates any medical explanation to account for it. And Eben Alexander is certainly a qualified expert to determine this, which seems to be in accord with his central reason for writing this account.

I have read some criticisms where the reviewer felt Dr. Alexander did not provide enough detail about his "heavenly" experience. However, his purpose here, it seems, is not to have written a kind of travel log, or tell-all about the afterlife, but to show how and why his experience changes everything about what he formerly believed. All in all, I found this to be a very compelling read, well worth the readers time if interested in this sort of thing. Highly recommended.
on December 23, 2016
A fascinating account of a prominent neurosurgeon's experience while in a rare coma for 7 days. Prior to his near death experience, Dr. Alexander held the common scientific belief that NDEs are just hallucinations that occur in our brains while unconscious. What made his NDE remarkable is that his brain was dead; showing no activity at all. Yet he went on an incredible journey to the afterlife that he recalled in exact detail after waking up. This made him believe that consciousness exists outside the brain, not within it. This is a growing study among the medical and scientific communities. Dr. Alexander is not a nut job. He is a highly respected brain specialist with a 25 year career at Harvard Medical School, and other major hospitals. Prior to his NDE, he would have said that heaven or an afterlife is not real. But after his personal experience, he says it is the most real thing he has ever seen in his life.

This is a book that must be read in order to draw your own conclusions. As hard as it is to accept in the "here and now", it gives great hope to those of us who try to keep our faith, and believe that our "souls" must live on after our bodies die.
on December 12, 2013
I had looked at this book many times, (just the cover and synopsis) and always just passed it by. Now I know why. I started the book with an open mind, I am Catholic, but I respect all faiths and I never judge a person by their faith. Dr. Alexander is Episcopalian, which is Anglican Catholic, but he mentioned he had pretty much "given up on God."
So, at first it was interesting, how he became ill, the illness and how it progresses (I may need to add here that my husband is a Surgeon, but in another field) so I am very familiar with what was being written. Mostly.
Then comes the part when Dr. Alexander "dies" (and let me remind you, he DIED more than any other person who has had a NDE EVER died), and it just became so odd and.....kooky. For lack or a better word, KOOKY. Woman on a Butterfly. "OM" for God. First in an icky place then in a great place. Being told three things as though they were absolute, one of them being "NOTHING YOU CAN DO IS WRONG." WHAT?
So, I did a little research and was sad to find out the problems and troubles Dr. Alexander faced, mostly because the years of the bad things and then his coma and "death" are all in the span of 7 years or less. Two malpractice suits. In one he has falsified information to make it seem as if one condition he operated on did not exist. Two "wrong site" suits, meaning of course, he operated on the wrong part of the brain. Sanctions and restrictions, ordered to counseling, on and on. NEVER mentioned in the book.
Other physicians havet asked for basic EEGs, or anything from that time when he was in the coma. Nothing doing. No one gets anything.
This Doctor gives a new meaning to bragging. He mentions Harvard about 50 times. My Father in law taught there too. He would never brag like this man. I don't know many who would. His online profile as a physician is a tad below "OK". I do not know exactly what he did, or why this book was published, but it's a terrible thing to have done. He wraps everything up in a neat little bow at the end, making the book look like a screenplay. Please do NOT waste your money.
on March 6, 2015
Having read PROOF OF HEAVEN, which was borrowed from a friend whose grandson had just been murdered, I knew I just had to add it to my library. This book is well written and thoroughly researched. Coming from a scientist's viewpoint, one who deals in only facts, Dr. Alexander's death experience is both believable and well stated....plus the fact that he is a neurosurgeonThere are parts dealing with complicated medical terms which I didn't understand well, but it adds credence to his life-changing experience and offers the reader proof that there is life after earthly death.
Having read all of Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' books, Raymond Moody, Todd Burpo, Echert Tolle, and many, many others dealing with death experiences, I was pleasantly surprised at the proof, comfort, and peace this book offers. If you have a fear of earthly death, do not hesitate to purchase, read, and re-read this book. I feel it offers a fresh prospective and evidence that death is not the end of life; it is merely a transition from the earthly realm. I am a Presbyterian pastor and would highly recommend this book to a precious one who was terminally ill.