Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 22, 2015
I had a NDE after a serious motorcycle accident when I was 33 years old - I'm now 70! The experience will always be with me! Our Creators name is LOVE!!! Sometimes when I tell my story, the reactions are good and sometimes people just think the brain is reacting to the death process! I only wish I had the ability to express in words what took place, however, I now realize, that words can never express the LOVE that that I felt and the removal of all hate! Hate does not live in that realm, and can never live there! To feel totally immersed in LOVE, cannot be put into the languages of this world - I've tried and failed. I will tell you this much - all religions fail - ALL. Our creator is so far beyond this nonsense that I can't even put it in words! All I know is that I will always LOVE my creator, OM, or what ever name you want to use! I really stopped caring if people believed me or not, however, when they want to know what I experienced - I'm always happy to tell them what happened to me - as best I can - with the limitations that language can express! What a great book! Thanks to you Doctor; now others may understand what I went through! Rather you are a believer or not, Religious or Attheist, Agnostic, or what ever you are, at the very least you will come away with questions, that will at least make you wonder!!! I actually feel blessed that my Creator had me go through this in my Life - as painful as it was! It really made me look at Life in a much different way! Sorry for going on and on, but, I really appreciated this book, especially from a neurosurgeon! All I know is; that to me it was no dream! This was so different that I know it will be with me until I return to my Creator. What an experience! I thought my life was over at age 33, however, he/she, Creator, OM, Love, Truth, has shown me what Life really is! I hope all, and I mean all find what I found! Maybe, just maybe, this world or realm we live in would become a better place!
275 helpful votes
276 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on June 14, 2017
I loved the book. What an incredible true story.
on January 24, 2013
Someone told me to read Proof of Heaven. It is a book about a near death experience. What makes this book different is that it is written by a neurosurgeon and is based is on his own experience.

My mom went through a very difficult procedure in the hospital last year. It ended up she needed emergency brain surgery (craniotomy) and watching her come out of it and wondering if she would be the same, was a horrible ordeal. Being on a neuro ICU unit for 4 weeks, I was so curious as to what she was going through. She would talk once in her sleep, she wasn't in a coma, she was heavily sedated. Did she have a near death experience? No. But I was so curious and this book sounded right up my alley. She did have "ICU Psychosis" which is theme described in the book and really helped me understand what she was going through at that point. Her dreams were so real to her, she really believed these tings were happening.

Being a neurosurgeon and understanding the brain is one thing. To be a scientist that always brushed off these stories of near death experiences, and having your own, is all together different. This book is a very quick read. It doesn't drag, it takes you on a ride and is so interesting. Here is scientist that questioned his faith and is now having a NDE that was so real.

For anyone interested and especially for people that wonder about these things, this is a book for you. What a great book club read it would be. There are so many discussions here to be had. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
on May 3, 2017
This was a great read. Absolutely loved this book and highly recommend.
on January 1, 2017
extremely interesting. Very difficult to put down.
4 helpful votes
on June 23, 2014
For those whose faith is under stress, and whose hasn't!, this book will get you back into gear. The fact that the author is an esteemed neurosurgeon who knows everything there is to know about "near death" experiences, added to the fact that Dr Alexander was a bit of a cynic when it came to these stories, gives this book major clout. There is even an appendix at the end of the book, just for the doubters, those who will look for holes in the story. Dr. Alexander plugs every one of these holes. An absolute MUST READ for anyone going through the "doubt phase" of personal faith.
on May 15, 2013
The thing I love about this book is the author. He is a very scientifically oriented neurosurgeon. And he has been given the privilege to see and report on the far greater reality of the spiritual realm, that part of reality that is not, and probably cannot, be subjected to the scientific method. And he is a believer. And his belief is based upon the evidence he has been permitted to see. And he describes it in scientific terms, at least as far as it is possible to do that. I especially appreciate what he says, because I have been saying the same things about that realm. I say it in theological terminology. I am a Pastor Emeritus, still actively serving a small parish. I do not need the evidence this book gives to bolster my faith. But, i found it so heart-warming for him to describe the utter expanse of the spiritual realm, and the absolute unconditional love of the Creator. Read this book with an open mind, and read it slowly and carefully, pondering every word. I believe that God has used this man in a very special way to reach people with His love, people who would probably never be reached by a church or a clergy person. GOD BLESS!!!
on November 29, 2015
Well written, with a scientific mindset towards a difficult and uncertain subject. I personally think that stories about people's NDEs must be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm under the impression from the read that Mr Alexander is trying as best he can to tell it as it was for him.

Definitely a worthy read for any reason.
on February 22, 2013
This is a powerful narrative of a neurosurgeon’s contracting meningitis and having an after death experience. Warning: This may change your philosophy on religion.

The odds were greatly against his survival. Relatives were told, if he survived, predictions were he would be a vegetable from this brain eating disease. His family held his hand on 24-hour shifts and even consulted with a channeler. Suddenly on the seventh day, he rose up and began speaking. He recovered fully enough to function normally again and was declared a miracle by his own medical community. The difference between this after-death experience and others is that a surgeon wrote it. Previous to his own experience, he had heard about it from patients, but only gave them polite lip service as to their credibility—until he went to "heaven" and returned.

The message he brought back is love is the purpose of life on this planet. He also learned there are many other heavenly universes—something science has already begun to prove. Perhaps we are like a caterpillar that sheds one body to go onto another one but is transferred to another universe. Whatever your beliefs, it is a provocative read and one you can can’t easily put down, figuratively or literally.
on April 16, 2017
The fact a Dr finally understands that it's not chemical induced that life beyond is real, makes it a great read