Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 232 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 673 reviews
on October 12, 2011
I have struggled with my weight, my blood sugar and cholesterol for years. My therapist recommended that I take a look at this book.

In the 4 weeks I've been following the program, I've dropped 15 pounds, 3 inches off my waist and feel better in ways that I never even thought about. I type for a living -- among other things -- and my hands used to ache after 20 minutes of work. I thought it was arthritis until I started on this plan, and I now know it was retained fluid putting stress on my joints.

The book is clear, but not particularly concise. The doctors Eades are trying to describe highly complicated metabolic activities in a way that makes sense to the average lay person. That isn't easy, and they sometimes miss the mark. The reading can be rough sledding sometimes, but hang in there. Understanding the principles behind the plan is essential to being successful.

Once the reader gets beyond the metabolic description and into the plan itself, the doctors Eades have a much easier time. The calculations are easy, but they take a few minutes and a tape measure. Once you get the amount of daily protein needs are established, it's simply a matter of using the Eades' helpful tables to plan meals.

Some reviewers have complained that Eades overemphasizes the protein levels and does not encourage eating fruits and vegetables. That is a misunderstanding of the plan, to say the least. Yes, the first phase of the plan is highly restrictive when it comes to high carb vegetables and most fruits. But the plan does have a Phase II and then a maintenance phase. The two phases stair-step the carbs back up to a reasonable level.

The book is a bit dated -- it was written in 1995 -- and could do with an update. But it is still the solid gold standard for living a high protein/low carb lifestyle.
on May 18, 2013
I bought this book or diet plan. I began the diet upon receipt. I have been on diet about six months. I lost weight comfortably, I lowered my colestrol levels, and lowered my blood pressure. I recently had a M R I that revealed two silent strokes. I plan to continue this diet as it is a good helth help, and I sure am glad I used it.
on May 30, 2014
I learned that I can eat plenty of good foods with full fat trimmings and come away felling better, weighing less, and avoid the energy swings that caused me trouble. I used to fall asleep driving after about 45 minutes and I just drove to St. Paul from Chicago and back without any incident.
on May 18, 2016
I think that this book gives a solid idea to controlling weight gain and another option in controlling blood pressure without depending on drugs, as always important to have a doctor that you can monitor it with.
on October 28, 2013
This book is full of helpful and balanced dietary information that addresses several of the physical challenges facing me and millions of other Americans. This holds info to help heal the body and ease the mind. Finding it easy to follow and implement. Wonderful book.
on March 7, 2015
Best book on the market about merits of a low-carb eating regime. If you are an analytical type and want know in scientific but understandable terms why this program works then this is the book for you
on May 9, 2000
I've now lost 35lbs at the rate of 10lbs/month. My blood pressure has normalised (and my doctor is reducing my medication), my blood glucose has gone from diabetic to normal, my triglycerides have gone from over 400 down to around 80. My trouser waist size has gone from 44" to 36". My headaches, acid indigestion and acid refluxes are a thing of the past, as are my swollen ankles. I need less sleep, have more energy. I can run an 11 minute mile when 3 months ago, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without puffing.
But, perhaps best of all, I NOW FEEL LESS HUNGRY THAN I USED TO WHEN I ATE WHATEVER I WANTED TO! This book explains why (for many people) eating carbohydrates merely feeds an imbalanced insulin mechanism, making you crave yet more carbohydrates. This isn't a diet. This is a lifetime way of eating. And it's SO painless that the thought of living this way forever isn't at all a problem (as it would be with a conventional diet).
Some critics have claimed it's expensive. It is, mainly because you have to buy new clothes every couple of weeks. But the improved quality of life is extraordinary.
I heartily recommend this way of eating/way of life.
on May 29, 2012
I really found this book to be helpful. My doctor had me buy this and I'm so glad he did. I feel great I have NO CRAVINGS FOR SWEETS WHATS SO EVER! It is difficult to get off the carbs at first it's like you go into withdrawal. If you can get past the first week or so you will be O.K. I finally feel like I'm in control of my life.
on November 13, 2012
This book had too many formulas to compute different things in order to see where to begin on the diet. On the body fat calculation chart, there is no female list, just male as far as I could find. I will try to finish the book and utilize as much as I can from it however.
on June 27, 2016
This is a very informative book. My husband and I both wanted to lose weight and following this diet we both lost all the weight we wanted to 1-2 pounds every 2 or 3 days and were never hungry. The food was also really good. We replaced the artificial sugars with Stevia and didn't use the diet drinks but otherwise followed the diet pretty much as suggested.