Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 112 reviews
on April 23, 2016
I put Jonah in the same category as Malcolm Gladwell and Simon Speck: great points derived from insightful thinking surrounded by science and solid storytelling. This is book I'd give away to those who see the crossover from cognitive neuroscience and the arts. (Yes, artists got it right before the profs). The book moves at a comfortable pace and is full of anecdotal evidence to carry you down the river of his thinking. Readers should know Lehrer had a bit of controversy about his scientific due diligence in other works. Personally I think it's petty academic posturing. Sometimes it takes a visionary to postulate on the big truths and let others endorse or prove it wrong. This particular book is especially compelling and covers off the senses: sight, sound, touch in succession. Expect to have moments of revelation as your thinking gets readjusted.
on May 30, 2015
I really enjoyed the read. I know some reviewers have said things like "No, Proust was not a scientist", or "the author is just making up connections, the discoveries were made by scientists Not these artists", and so on. I think those reviewers are missing the point and taking things way too literally. I'm an artist myself so I really connected with these chapters about how these masterful artists intuitively made connections about the human mind that hadn't been discovered or at least published at the time they did so, it's an interesting concept and most people who are in to art and/or science will enjoy the read. I left out one star because some of the facts he puts in the book are questionable at best, though it didn't ruin anything for me personally it seems to annoy some people so I took one star away.
on October 5, 2016
The author is able to entry in the soul of Proust, Cézanne, Withman, Eliot not only for the greatness in the art and literature, but also for their visions by a psychological point of view. In those men the strongness of their art was united to a particular study of the human life. This analysis goes in the deep levels of the mind, so we can retain this context particularly important for a knowledge of the modern times. The correlations of those different aspects is interesting, so we can see the narrow relation between the work of Leherand and his teacher, Kandel.
on March 28, 2017
Very good attempt to bridge science and art. It is an easy reading recommended for any enqistive mind. Buddha envisioned the vastness of universe with many worlds centuries before quantum physics. It is very hopeful and humbling reading these words.
on November 6, 2016
This is a phenomenal book. The first chapter was a bit slow going, but after that it takes off. It is a great blend of current cognitive, neuro, and biopsych research and how relevant this was with artists, writers, etc. who have shaped the past. If you have read any books by Lehrer in the past, you will enjoy the depth of this book.
on September 1, 2015
Got this book because I wanted to try Jonah Lehrer's writing. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt with 3 stars because I don't know a lot about literature/authors, but honestly it reads similarly to some essays that I had to write in high school/college where I had to write about connecting an author to his environment and place in history. The themes and up being really broad and the conclusions are really generalized
on February 11, 2013
Lehrer seamlessly switches between modern neuroscience and the instinctive insights of authors and writers to provide a very readable and informative discussion of how they independently have both reached similar conclusions about human cognition. His style reminds me of Bill Bryson in A Short History of Nearly Everything: Special Illustrated Edition. This book is well worth its modest price.
on December 8, 2016
I've listened to it twice. It is well said/written and liked it but wanted to highlight and remember what I was learning so I later bought the book. Which is, of course, just as good.
on July 28, 2014
The work he does bringing together reason de tre of art and science and their collaborative and conflicting points was genius. I really learned a lot about philosophies, historical figures I would have never probably known their names. I couldn't put it down and it will be somewhat of sacred text as I expand my career in HIV and my career as a performing artist and spiritualist.
on January 23, 2017
Very well researched, detailed analysis, beautifully written, a book that ought to be on the curriculum of High School Students. A treasure everyone ought to read.