Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 17, 2014
I like the design of this tool, especially the articulated arm. So many uses. Stop complaining about the lack of power supply,I am actually glad they don't bundle the power supply and make you pay more. it will work with any power supply 12V-16V DC with a current rating of > 2A . You might have to craft a connector or use alligator clips.The middle short pin that you see on the connector is passive ( I believe) its sole purpose is to make people insert the plug with correct polarity. If you're not confident working with electricity do not attempt using another power supply and buy the bundled one ! Interestingly based on my measurements the bundled power supply applies up to 24V in idle state (measured at the plug), then the voltage goes down to ~14.4V @ 1.5A on highest setting when the tool is on. Test was performed with a short segment of wire (~3"). It will probably draw more current with a longer segment of wire.
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 20, 2016
Solid design, comes with 5 wires; easy to set up and get working but needs separately purchased Proxxon power supply.

There is zero issue getting the Wires into the clamps as there is plenty of room as per the pictures. Anyone who had issues with mounting the wires was using custom wires or had a defective or modified unit. Both top and bottoms side clamps shown have enough room for wires 2x the diameter.
review image
4 helpful votes
on October 14, 2014
Compared with the Woodland Scenics hot wire cutter, this is much more powerful, and cuts circles around the competition (and the heat is adjustable). Just remember you have to buy the Proxxon power supply transformer as well.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on October 20, 2015
Bad: Expensive, needs their transformer to work.Makes high pitch whining sound.

Great: Just about everything else. Been using it to cut insulation foam for Halloween display. Heats up FAST cools down fast.
The wire gets gummed up, you just clean it off with metal brush or even finger nails and go back to work.

Here are 2 videos using it:

on January 30, 2013
I recently got back into model railroading and have been building my scenery using extruded styrofoam insulating material as the base material for mountains. I needed an efficient way to cut the material into unusual shapes and this tool fit the bill perfectly. It is effective and easy to use. I also found that I can use the .35 welding wire from my wire-feed welding machine as replacemt wire on the cutter.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on June 16, 2017
I received it in a timly matter,but I 'm not real thrilled the way it cuts.I thinking about sending it back!!!!!!!!!!!
on January 4, 2015
Warning: you will need a separate power supply unit.
this WILL NOT PLUG INTO THE WALL!
on June 11, 2014
I use this for business but I'm a crafter too and completely see it's potential for having some fun! Too bad all I do is work :) but I'm having fun doing it!
on November 3, 2016
Awesome tool. Cuts through EDP foam like a knife through butter! Works WAY better than
the hot knife we tried first!
on April 20, 2016
Like the stiff wire it came with and it seems to melt through the foam I am messing with well.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.