Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 232 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 275 reviews
on June 23, 2011
Since I bought my Kindle, I have dabbled in several self published authors with mixed results. It is always a crap shoot but at a $.99 and a handful of good reviews, I am willing to broaden my horizons to these uncharted isles.

And I am so glad to have discovered Andrew Mayne.

With Public Enemy Zero Mayne expertly handles a very original take on the whole X-Factor Zombie type of scenario. He begins by creating a very likable, morally centered everyman. Mitch is an aspiring broadcaster working the long nights at the wrong end of the radio dial. His girlfriend just broke up with him, he has under a grand in his checking account, and...oh yeah, he just found out that anyone he comes in contact with becomes snarling animals hellbent on ripping him apart.

From there, Mr. Mayne spins a fast paced thriller that reads better than most summer blockbusters. By placing his character in the very real dangers of being captured by police as a terroist suspect, being ripped apart by anyone he meets, or being captured by a shadowy government agency, we get a thrilling ride that you will rip through in a single sitting.

Unfortunately, there are a few items that keeps Public Enemy Zero from full marks. There is a rather unnecessary and rather silly use of an LSD Wild Man who communes with Mother Nature in a plot to destroy the world. While it is an interesting piece of theater, this charcter and the handful of scenes he has (including, unfortunately the opening one) serve no purpose to the story and takes away from the realism of the situation.

There are two police detective characters that are strongly portrayed who begin unraveling the mystery who are ommitted in the second half of the book. And finally, there are huge glaring editorial errors in the last third of the book; sentences have repeating words, the wrong word choice is used, multiple pronouns appear side by side. Mr. Mayne states in his Acknowledgements that the book was edited with social networking volunteers. He would be better served paying someone to fill this role.

The last concern I have for the book is that it is so timely that I wonder how it will stand the test of time. Not only are there multiple references to YouTube, Skype, i-Pads, etc. but they and Facebook/Twitter play a central role to the plot. I found this to be very clever and applaud its use, however, future readers or current readers unfamiliar with these technologies might be less impressed.

I will read everything that Mr. Mayne has out for the Kindle. But with a few edits, omissions, etc. I would probably find him published in my bookstore or even on the silver screen as well.
1010 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2017
After reading author Andrew Mayne's Station Breaker series and his Jessica Blackwood series I needed more! I decided to go all the way back to his early work and check out Public Enemy Zero. I'm so glad that I did.

The story follows Mitchell Roberts as he is on the run because every person he comes into contact with tries to kill him. First there is the girl on the side of road with car trouble. Next, his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend. Even an entire mall full of people are after him. And it just grows from there. Mitchell has no idea why people are trying to kill him. The authorities are trying to figure out if he is a criminal, a terrorist, or a victim.

This fast paced thriller holds your attention throughout. Andrew Mayne writes short chapters, each with mini cliffhangers that keep the pace going and keep you wanting more.

This is the 6th book of Mayne's that I have read and look forward to continuing my journey through his work.
on November 14, 2011
I picked this up looking for something to start reading during a lunch break, and I found myself flipping through a few more pages on my iPhone in the bathroom, then on the bus home, reading over dinner, and then finally settling in with a glass of wine to finish it out.

It's a bite-sized story, several hours of non-stop entertainment that's fast paced and incredibly clever, while remaining plausible in the context of the tale. Everyman is suddenly and violently attacked by people around him, and needs to run to survive. Meanwhile, an incredulous public fears him, authorities hate him, and a few dark people want to kill him.

What makes the story work is both the pacing, and the clever ways the main character gets away by the hair of his neck. Picture Bruce Willis in Die Hard, only over several days in south Florida, with murderous mobs chasing after him, and a shady bioweapon conspiracy arching over the whole thing, and you've got a non-stop action fest that will pleasantly surprise and thrill.

The writing isn't Hemmingway, but then it's not supposed to be. It's the next Roland Emmerich film, in easy Kindle Book format, and it's a bargain at twice the price.
on March 13, 2012
When I began this novel it was an absolute page turner. I'm sure it helped that my hometown is from the same location that many of the events take place, so I was interested to see Mr. Mayne's take on my familiar haunts. I particularly enjoyed the detectives' attempts to piece together what happened in the first half of the book, but unfortunately they disappear completely after the plot heads in the tinfoil hat conspiracy direction.

At this point I felt that the book really began to lose steam and started to read like a pulp action book you might grab at the airport book rack and half-read while waiting for your flight. Suddenly our hero Mitch transforms into MacGyver and Bruce Willis rolled into one, taking down trained hitmen and black helicopters while concocting ridiculous escape plans no ordinary person would dream up. I no longer really identified with Mitch as much as I had at the start of the novel, and read to the unsatisfying conclusion just to see what happened.

Another one of my complaints is that none of the characters other than the protagonist are really fleshed out or developed beyond their limited role in making the action move forward.

Overall, this was a mostly enjoyable three-four hour read despite its flaws, and for 99 cents you cannot go wrong.
on October 17, 2011
Wow, what a story. Intriguing and a little confusing in the beginning and partially throughout the whole earth mother thin. But other than that, the story was excellent. A great read for a fan of a good thriller and an especially good read for someone who likes biological agent, bio-terrorism type books. This is definitely right up your alley.

Also, great use of "new media" within the book (use of youtube and twitter), and you could tell that this was finished rather recently because it contained pertinent news information that was pretty recent.

I blew threw this in a long layover in Miami airport coming home from our honeymoon, and I was in no way dissappointed.
The author does a great job of hooking you into the main character, as well as the dialogue between the characters, and hooking you into the story. I found it ironic in those times where certain scenes in the story have an added "oomph" or stressful situation for the main character, I found that I was getting a little excited, my heartbeat was going a little faster, and I couldn't seem to read it fast enough to click the next page button on my Kindle. I don't know if there is one, but it would be interesting to see if there is a sequel.

This was a good one - and at 99 cent pricing in the Kindle store it certainly was a great value!
on February 16, 2017
Interesting concept and the story carries you along. There was just too much running around while being chased in the first part of the book. I found myself flipping pages until the chase was done and something advancing the plot started to take place. Then I got back into the stream of it and wound up enjoying this book. Those who like long chases would probably like the first part of this book more than I did. It's just a matter of taste. Overall, I found this book interesting, well written and very imaginative.
on June 22, 2012
Book Review: Public Enemy Zero by Andrew Mayne
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style - 3.5/5.0 (Good)
This was one of those books that improved as you read. In the early chapters, the text felt a little clunky and the dialogue was adequate but seemed to occasionally stop short. I don't think this was really an error, but personally, I found myself reading things twice to be certain of the context. Don't get me wrong, this was not a continuous thing and I am most certainly putting it down to personal preference. Other than that, once the story got moving, things were very much better and I have to say that the chase scenes were nicely visual and well drawn.

Character Development - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
I linked with the "Mitch" character very easily and I was impressed with the pace that the author allowed this character to develop and become the central core of the plot. Admittedly, I felt that "The Naked Man" persona was at best unnecessary and at worst a distraction from an exceedingly well-built character base and it came as no surprise to discover the identity of this character.
Beyond these two, I found the other key members of the cast very engaging, though I do think that - in a few cases, and especially with Dr Lovestrange - the author failed to make the best use of them in the latter stages of the tale.
Indeed, I had sort of hoped that Mitch might have placed a live call to the radio station when he came into possession of Lovestrange's phone.

Descriptive - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent)
Of all the elements within this book, the descriptive was by far the most memorable. Where perhaps specific people and events were quickly forgotten, the descriptions of the locations and the detail within the scenes were exemplary. In many ways, this eye for the right balance of information was the key that made me want to read on.

Language & Grammar - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
There were several typo's and comma-based things that I will mention only in passing. Effectively, a minor polish will make this a thoroughly more complete work and a definitively better read. However, the use of language, the author's careful attention to the details and the generally excellent dialogue - which greatly improved as the story progressed - made this a good read.

Plot - 4.5/5.0 (Excellent) *MINIMAL SPOILERS*
The main plot and the key sub-plot regarding the virus were brilliantly conceived. The use of the incidental characters to build the tension around the main protagonist was very good and very well written, creating the constant threat of harm - and worse - in order to keep the flow of the story.
The early stages of the plot, where the people in the mall went berserk, was an excellent and nicely thought-out, as well as setting the stall for the problems that would face the main character throughout the story. At the end, equally, the scene after he posts the tweet is an inspired event in the book.

General - 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
In summary, this was highly commendable and a good, solid read. The issues I have mentioned earlier were definitely only minor ones and other those, I was very impressed with this. Certainly worthy of anyone's time to read it.

Solid Four Stars. Has to be worth the read.
VINE VOICEon June 25, 2014
Suspension of disbelief is all that matters to me when I read a good story. And this is a good story. I almost stopped reading in the opening scene because it was too weird. Once I got through it though, I began to be entertained.

Without giving away a bunch of spoilers suffice it to say that Mad Mitch's struggle for survival as the protagonist kept me reading. His troubles kept me glued to the pages of this short book and helped distract from the many copy editing mistakes. I would like to see this book updated for the enjoyment of many future readers.

I'd also like to see a sequel. There are a few plot holes that are made up for by the non-stop action and plausible character building. If you don't like government conspiracy theories and believe Uncle Sam has only your best interests at heart this book won't do it for you. If you're a grammar Nazi this book won't do it for your without major editing. If you're an action fan, like rooting for the underdog and have 99 cents to spend I recommend it.
on September 5, 2011
For $0.99 this is a heck of a book. Action and suspense all the way thru the book! Andrew Mayne has written a very good story that will keep you turning the pages as fast as you can read.....just to keep up with the fast pace of the action. One of the better books I have read in all of 2011 and to think it only costs $0.99. I will for sure try out other books by Mr. Mayne. Not a zombie book as some readers have suggested, more like the whole world has gone mad, at least as far as Mitchell is concerned. If you liked reading Run by Blake Crouch, then you will also like this exciting story.