BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on April 23, 2013
I am a doctoral student and the standard we use to write our paper is APA 6th edition.
The only problem is if you have purchased the book, its hard to maneuver.

Our professor let us in on a secret.... purchase the 5th edition. It has a much better
index, so you can look up things quickly. They also have better examples.

There are only a few changes between 5th and 6th edition and you can find them
out via the internet. Print a copy of those changes and stick it in the book.

By getting refworks or endnote and APA 5th edition you will save SO much time
in working on your reference and spend more time researching and writing.

HAPPY WRITING!
on January 12, 2014
Despite keeping this book on top of my desk where it is always handy for reference, I find that it rarely answers the questions that I ask of it.

How long does a paper need to be to qualify for a title page?

If no cover page, what does first page of paper look like?

Although the book does give some specific examples of formatting numbers and commas, my particular situations were not addressed. I find myself going online for help. OWL at Purdue is pretty good. Just Google "APA format" followed by whatever you need. I have much better luck online than with the book.
on September 15, 2017
I had to purchase this new edition for grad school...... poor print quality, in fact the print appears to have been printed with a toner low on ink! Unacceptable, come on! The words appear wavy as the ink fades in out across letters making this guide worthless..... too much work to try to read, having to fill in the missing portions of letters. As if researching and composing papers isn't work enough.
Second: The quality compared to previous editions has declined....... this 6th ed is flimsy and poorly printed.
on March 29, 2017
The copy that I purchased is full of spelling errors and typos! Ugh! I wish I went and purchased at my local Barnes and Nobles... Pissed!
on February 7, 2008
This is one of my absolute least favorite topics - writing for academic journal publication. Lest I start a rant about the very premise of intellectual information-hoarding, here is the lowdown.

The book is a big, floppy paperback, close to the measurements of a phone directory. It is sometimes hard to focus on the thinner fonts used in some of the sections, complicated by the late hours and crummy light many students will use it in. However, it is fairly quick to access those bits of publishing minutiae needed for one's term paper or article.

That said, I would steer you to a regular style manual if possible, because this is geared for people who *must* adhere to the Psychology Association's demands. It's no good for regular writers who address wide audiences, as it has peculiarities unique to scholarly psychological article making.

Also, get it used, because someone in the know keeps changing said minutiae, causing victims to rush to expensive retailers for the latest version. You may get by just fine with the pocket version ... but find out how strict your professor is!
on February 21, 2016
This is torture for the average nursing grad student, in written form. The original version of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 6th edition was, ironically enough, full of errors. Despite the republication with corrections, this text remains both a necessary grad school resource, and a thorn in the side of beginning research writers.
on May 31, 2013
I have to own this book, but I don't have to like it. First of all, no Kindle version... really? Second, and much more significantly, APA citation has become a major distraction in higher education. Students spend far too much time fiddling with this arbitrary format--time better spent on true learning objectives. Third, here it is 2013, and these citations cannot be reliably generated by (or parsed by) machines. In my own profession, we're fond of mocking MARC (a standard for describing bibliiographic materials), but really, APA citation is no better.

To be clear, I do believe in accurate and thorough citation. It's the method I object to.
on December 20, 2014
Excellent reference. Fairly easy to find information that I need (FAR better to find than in the Chicago Manual of Style). APA does a good job at organizing, explaining, and making the information accessible. Would definitely buy again. Also, kudos to APA for being customer-oriented, i.e., their online blog is so helpful and makes me feel good about purchasing (unlike Chicago that has nothing helpful, in my opinion, online for they ONLY want you to buy/subscribe to get the information).
on October 24, 2007
I purchased this book because it is a requirement for my program at school. I purchased the spiral bound copy because I'll be using it often and wanted something that I can keep open on the page that I'm using. I'm glad that I did. Amazon delivered as promised in time for my first class, however the first copy I received had many of its pages out of order, and I had to wait for a replacement copy. Now for the text itself, I find it inadequate, and I am glad that my college provided a class to supplement the text. It is not at all complete in its explanations and I made profuse notes in the margins with information gleaned from the class. Since the APA style writing is so much a part of my program, this book is very necessary yet challenging to me and I am finding it not to be very user friendly. Hopefully it will seem better as I become more proficient in the APA style of writing. But for now I have little option but to get used to it since this is the manual of the APA. They could have done a better job in putting it together.
on April 18, 2017
I ordered this book at the suggestion of one of my professors for grad school. Book came promptly, was packaged good and I have no complaints. The book is a great resource for APA formatting. Better than what's provided on the internet.