Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,751 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,214 reviews
on March 4, 2012
I just want to put to rest some of the previous concerns about this being an outdated issue. I'm a doctoral student, so having the latest version of this manual is paramount to the success of my program. That being said, I researched whether or not I should purchase this manual from Amazon, and almost didn't given some of the past negative reviews. I went with my instincts, however, trusting that a major retailer like Amazon would always offer the latest printing of a given text.

Needless to say, I was right in doing so.

I ordered this book February 27, 2012, and according to the inside of my copy, this is the fifth printing (January 2011) of this book. Rest assured that if you order from Amazon, you're getting the latest copy of a terrific resource and at the best price available.

Book: five stars...a terrific resource for anyone writing in the APA style.
Amazon experience: five stars...don't worry guys, you're getting the most recent version.

I hope I have helped alleviate some of the concerns posted here. While getting the proper version of this book might've been a problem in the past, it is no longer an issue.
1515 comments| 562 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2010
This edition of the American Psychological Association (APA) Manual is much smaller (in volume) than previous versions. It is written in a style that should be easily learned by new students, even though the basic principles remain challenging until well practiced. The 6th edition lacks a single page (which was found in previous editions) for "common forms" of reference listings, thus the omission forces the student to "dig" much deeper into the text to find the common forms for periodicals and non-periodicals. Also, the publisher has remained very vague in this edition (as in past editions) relative to the rules of abbreviation use for references and in-text citation. I wish that the American Psychological Association would strictly state that abbreviations are absolutely forbidden within reference listings and within in-text citations (with the only exceptions being for the allowable APA abbreviations list). Regardless, the 6th edition comes with ample guidance for its use from the APA website, thereby minimizing the learning curve for new students. Experienced APA users with find the manual an easier reference, in my opinion.
on March 20, 2015
Necessary for correct APA writing, but I found it difficult to find specific types of reference that I needed, quickly form the index. The things I needed had to be selectively weeded out of larger groupings of information. Even then I was left thinking "is this what they mean you need for this specific type of reference?" For example, I could have worked much faster and felt better about the usage of different references, if I could have identified exact circumstances in exact places in the book without, room for having to guess.

I just did not find it very user friendly. One needs a reference manual to work smoothly and efficiently, not one that bogs you down makes you second guess yourself.
on October 24, 2015
Standard editorial reference. Like the CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE, a case where constantly updated editions are a cash cow; in a less profit-conscious age, revisions to this kind of book should be on line. But the APA (a professional organization) book is a concise paperback, unlike the overstuffed CMS, which serves as a major income source for its publisher (and yet is still insufficient at times). As all writers and editors know, make sure you know which style is preferred by your employer.
on March 8, 2015
I had such a hard time using this for college. If it wasn't on my mandatory list of books, I wouldn't have bought it. The layout to find information was too confusing for me. I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I have used reference books for years and usually know how to navigate them. This was the worst I've ever had to use for a class. If you need to know APA formatting for college papers, you would do better to use the internet. My college actually had their own site that was very helpful. After using this book twice, I refused to use it again.
on August 13, 2015
This book is difficult to use and poorly laid out. It does not explain the its concepts very well or give useful examples. I bought this book for a class and was told I would end up using it for my entire college education as well as any professional writing I might do. This could not be more wrong. This book is incompetently written, many of the page numbers listed in the table of contents and glossary are incorrect. How does a book that is about proper formatting of written works get published with these kinds of errors? I have never once found it useful. Instead, I have learned to go to owl.english.purdue if I have any questions about APA format. Given that this book is published by the America Psychological Association about the writing format that this organization created and maintains This book feels like nothing more than a way for them to make money without putting forth the most basic effort. If you have a teacher who requires that you buy this book I would recommend not buying it and getting your answers from a reliable online source. Those are free and have a better chance of being right than anything contained in this book.
on November 8, 2015
I mainly got this because it was required for my classes. Unfortunately there's really nothing that I can't find online so it's virtually a waste of money. While some people find it nice to just have all the information in one spot, if you're just a little internet literate you can find anything online just as easily. The book itself isn't bad, just a bit of a waste of money. Upside, it's much cheaper on amazon than in your school bookstore, so if you want it or are required to get it, this is a good place!
on January 19, 2014
As a PhD student, this was a required purchase (literally, my advisor required it). The manual is clearly laid out, and answers all of the big questions. The cross-referencing from one subject to another is helpful. That way, if you're looking up one question, you're referenced to other sections that might also be related.

To address many of the negative comments on here, as of January 2014 Amazon stocks the 5th printing of the 6th edition (from January 2011). Most of the concerns seem to be about earlier printings. Amazon is fantastic with customer service, and they're not stocking older printings. I would be aware if you're purchasing from an outside vendor - make sure it's the 5th printing of the 6th edition.

APA guidelines are always being updated, so check apastyle.org to verify the current version.
on January 7, 2012
I purchased this book as it was required for my Masters of Psychology program, I already owned and was very familiar with the use of APA 5th edition rules and found the changes in this edition to not be as good as hoped for. While this edition adds digital citations and expands on other citation rules, however it seems that rather than making necessary additions and revisions the APA has set out to make changes, just for the sake of making changes. I use the book and the rules - because I have to, but still I prefer the older 5th edition. Maybe one day the talking heads that make up the rules will actually ask (and listen to) the people who work with the rules and see what they think.

Just saying.
on December 9, 2013
It is hard to say that I love an APA Style Manual, but it is very helpful and easy to find what I am looking for. Examples throughout are very helpful, too.