Truck Season Automotive HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

• Customer Reviews

on April 6, 2017
I am giving the low star amount because I believe I was sent a knock-off of the real thing. Although it was new and packaged, as soon as I pulled off the wrapping I noticed it had a horrid smell. I've never smelled anything like it, so it's hard to describe. But it's terrible! Then I began reading it. The pages were faded in some spots, and there are very bad spelling errors throughout what I have read so far. I had to go to my college bookstore and buy a copy from them, and I compared the real one with whatever the heck was sent to me. I am attaching pics to show how bad it is. There are a lot more errors, I am just posting a couple. I am returning it immediately. It sounds like most people are getting the real deal, but do be aware that there are bad copies going around as well.

I just wanted to add that I am not talking about the errors that accompanied the first printing, this was supposedly a 7th printing with the "errors" fixed. This was a book that had clearly been badly re-typed by someone, as can be seen in the pics I included. This is a counterfeit product IMO.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
44 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on July 21, 2017
I purchased this from MagicBook1234...perhaps that should have been my first clue. However, I purchased from them because they had the best price and the reviews for the seller seemed to be good...then I started working on my paper and found GLARING issues with the spiral copy of the manual I received.

There is no way this is the approved manual. Perhaps a first run or someone horribly plagiarized the book. Glaring issues are throughout. Ex: on page 67 of the spiral book: First sentence says "mtending" instead of intending. Same pg 1st sentence under section 3.08 states "only what needs to be said". This section starts with a lower case and it is not a complete sentence! Page 68 says "10-year-olc*" instead of 10-year-old. There are level 2 headings not bolded when most are. I could go on. Be cautious when purchasing.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
15 people found this helpful
on February 22, 2017
Specifically, the Kindle edition of this style guide is a disaster. It's hard to use search. It's hard to read due to its small font size, and -- unlike other Kindle books -- there is no immediate way I could see to change the size. The entire work is formatted like the print edition, but on a small screen like the iPhone, such a format is all but useless.

Worst of all, the Kindle edition does not work with Kindle's online reader (read.amazon.com), which is where most people using this book would probably use the Kindle edition.

I've returned the ebook version and will purchase a print copy (oh so 20th century!) at a later date.
review image
8 people found this helpful
on June 8, 2017
The item is as described and I'd give it a five but the quality of the book is terrible. I just got it today, opened it up to use it for the first time, and in under five minutes the binding broke open. I'm including pics. I figure I will try to get the binding cut and have it spiral bound instead, but needing to do that really sucks. I hadn't even tried to open it flat, and it still just broke open. Any amount of use and the pages will be everywhere.
review image
6 people found this helpful
on June 30, 2017
It's pretty comprehensive...has a lot of stuff about publication...and publishing...as well as the usual APA punctuation and grammar rules for the style.

If your an undergrad student...this manual may be more than you're looking for when it comes to writing college papers.

A lot of what this book has, and more, can be found on "Purdue dot edu" for free. And, it's comprehensive as well.

If you're looking for a quick reference...I recommend APA: The Easy Way by Houghton and Houghton. I have grown to appreciate it's simplistic approach to the APA basics .

Hope this helped...
4 people found this helpful
on October 20, 2017
I'm working on my master's degree in Library and Information Science and APA is the preferred style for my program. I was required to purchase this manual for one of my intro classes and needed to cite it for assignments, otherwise I think I could have probably done without it. The reason is that there are many free online sources for APA style guidelines, my favorite being the Purdue OWL website. While this book is well formatted and clearly written, it is simply much easier and faster to search a website for answers to most formatting questions.

The main benefit I see for owning this book is that it offers many excerpts of sample papers and reference pages. Many APA formatting samples are available online, but having this book to refer to takes away any doubt about the correct formatting. Other than that I don't see a lot of benefits to owning this book, other than that it goes into more detail about style rules than online sources. My biggest wish has been that the APA would publish a searchable version of their guide online; I would happily pay good money for the convenience!
2 people found this helpful
on March 4, 2012
I just want to put to rest some of the previous concerns about this being an outdated issue. I'm a doctoral student, so having the latest version of this manual is paramount to the success of my program. That being said, I researched whether or not I should purchase this manual from Amazon, and almost didn't given some of the past negative reviews. I went with my instincts, however, trusting that a major retailer like Amazon would always offer the latest printing of a given text.

Needless to say, I was right in doing so.

I ordered this book February 27, 2012, and according to the inside of my copy, this is the fifth printing (January 2011) of this book. Rest assured that if you order from Amazon, you're getting the latest copy of a terrific resource and at the best price available.

Book: five stars...a terrific resource for anyone writing in the APA style.
Amazon experience: five stars...don't worry guys, you're getting the most recent version.

I hope I have helped alleviate some of the concerns posted here. While getting the proper version of this book might've been a problem in the past, it is no longer an issue.
576 people found this helpful
|1515 comments|Report abuse
on May 5, 2018
Interestingly, the cover is upside down, but the pages are all right side up. The Introduction gives a brief description of each chapter; the chapters are easily outlined with gray sections on the sides of the pages; the last chapter on the Publication Process includes important forms necessary for publication, and there is a thorough index.
Spiral bound is the best format for this book. The information must be read while working with documents, and the spiral binding will lie flat on the desk while I am working with the material. It is also easier to read when fully opened.
One person found this helpful
on August 27, 2017
The sine qua non of go-to-books for those who wish to have a style-sheet that keeps up with the times and changes both in the English language as well as what editors prefer. As an editor myself, I use the APA6 as a reference for all of my editing corrections. There are some places (e.g. box quotations with two or more paragraphs) where it doesn't have recommendations, but a quick look through a google search helps a lot as an adjunct to APA6. All students, at all levels should be highly encouraged to adopt the prescriptive recommendation of this book. For a Ph.D. candidate writing his/her dissertation, it is indispensable and should be a requirement.
One person found this helpful
on September 2, 2016
While this manual is a bit cumbersome and can be difficult to read at times it is the official publication for APA. I like having a hard copy I can refer to rather than hoping a web resource is actually correct. It is spiral-bound which makes it more convenient to lay flat while you consulted as a resource. This book covers everything you could possibly need for APA. If your citation or reference is not in this book, you're not going to find it anywhere else anyway. So if you're going to be in college or high school using APA for any period of time, you might as well bite the bullet and purchase the official resource.
2 people found this helpful