Better by far than the equivalent Dummies book, and considerably less expensive to boot, Richard Vaughan's Publish! comprises a singular and comprehensive resource for independent e-book authors and formatters wishing to bridge inexpensively between the creation of content and the point of upload. With 90,000 words, and over 270 images, diagrams, tables and in situ
demonstrations, it connects easily with the reader, presenting the facts clearly and completely, as you would expect of an author with decades of experience in practising and teaching software development.
Initial chapters discuss the requisites and optima of producing, pricing and publicising an e-book, and are followed by concise tutorials in HTML and CSS. The sixth chapter explores the principles that apply when choosing how to format a book and develop its cover artwork, while the seventh chapter, Production, draws prior threads together, using simple step-by-step diagrams to explain the process you must follow – an approach that is unique among the competition. A chapter on business and logistics, and a rich set of appendices complement the prior material, making this book a thorough and dependable asset for independent authors, formatters and publishers.
Rather than presenting ways to clean up an unnecessary mess, Publish! shows how to avoid trouble in the first place, its orderly and logical structure allowing ready access to the information you need, whether your requirements are basic or advanced. Answering questions that equivalents do not even ask, and providing information that is unavailable on the Internet, Publish! is an expert but inexpensive resource for those wishing to enter the exciting world of e-book production and publishing.
- Strategy: Six Rules, Pricing, Marketing, Production, Something for Nothing
- Resources: Text Editor, EPUB Editor, Mobi/KF8 Generator, E-Reader Emulators, Physical E-Reader(s), Validators & Debuggers, Proof-/Test-Reader(s), Image Sources, Graphics Editors, Graphics Tablet, Typefaces, Camera
- Structure: Basic Structure, Page Anatomy, Headings, Text Effects, Links, Images, Lists, Tables, Character References, Preformatted Text
- Style: The Problem, The Solution, External Stylesheets, Rules & Definitions, Selectors, Textual emphasis, Font Size, Aligning Text, Line Height, Styling Lists, Styling Links, Colour, Fonts, Text Shadows
- Layout: Flow Types, Box Model, Backgrounds, Widths & Heights, Padding, Borders, Margins, Element Shadows, Floating, Float Management, Page Breaks
- Composition: IDs & Class-Names, Table-Based Layout, Element Subsumption, Sizing, Colour, Text, Fonts, Titles, A Sense of Fit, Rule of Thirds, Negative Space, Depicting Movement, Curves and Lines, Rule of Odds
- Production: Set-Up, Create Chapter Files, Convert to HTML, Create Auxiliary Files, Insert Links and IDs, Add CSS, Generate EPUB, Generate Mobi/KF8, Test in E-Readers, Proofread, Final Stages
- Infrastructure: Selling & Distributing, ISBNs, Business Models, Sole Trader Status, Corporate Status, VAT/GST, Web Site, Domain Names, Hosting Services, FTP, Site Set-Up
- Terminology and Notation
- E-Book Formats Explained
- Image Formats Explained
- Advanced Styling and Layout
- Better Photography
- Working with SVG
- Unicode and All That