Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BSN Gymnastics Curve-A-Beam
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on December 28, 2010
This balance beam will be great for the kids - I have a 2 and 4 year old. It's a little different than I was expecting. I thought the foam would be a little heavier/sturdier. The material is almost like a heavy foam, like that used in pool noodles. But because of the material, it is incredibly light. The kids can likely assemble it themselves after a while, and it'll be easy to store. It's slightly wider than a regular balance beam, which is great for younger kids. We use it on carpet, which makes it not quite as sturdy as if it were on a harder floor, but not wobbly enough that the kids would fall off.

The connector pieces fit in snugly, but easily. I am a little worried about the kids losing them as they pop out from both ends, but that really is the best solution, as it allows for different configurations.

Overall, it's a great set that the kids enjoy. I so think that because of the material used, it is a little on the expensive side for what you get. I would buy a couple more sets to allow for different configurations if it wasn't quite that much.

-----
Update: The kids still enjoy this, but I do find that the pieces don't fit and stay together as well as I would like. Still think it's on the expensive side, especially given that it doesn't stay together great.

Update 2 (June 2012): They have held up well, but still doesn't work well on carpet, and they still come apart between pieces easily. At approaching 4 and 6, they don't use this too often, I think because they don't stay together as well, and wobble a lot more on the carpet. But they do have fun with them when they come out. Way too expensive for what it is. Will work best on hard surfaces, and not good for outside. We have (amazingly in my house) managed to not lose the connector pieces to date, but they easily could get lost. Would not purchase at this price point again (>$50), but would consider if they were cheaper.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2010
This was puchased for a 2 year old's birthday. It was a hit w/ the 2 year old and her almost 4 year old sister. They enjoyed walking on it, and the older sister really enjoyed the different configurations that were shown. They couldn't put it together by themselves, but they really had a good time checking out the various possiblilities. I don't know if they will play with it every day, but it was certainly a hit for the first 2 days that I was with them. I bought it because they had shown an interest in walking on rails/fences while holding adults' hands. Once the pieces are linked they can enjoy it by themselves. We were using it on carpet, but the pieces would probably stay together better if it were used on hardwood floors. The pieces are very lightweight & stores easily.
on September 17, 2012
I really wish I could like this product more! I bought it, despite the reviews, about six months ago for my then 3-year-old's birthday party. It was too easy for the 2-, 3-, 4- year-olds that were already practicing on curbs. The foam is only 2 or 3 inches thick. The connector pieces didn't hold the foam together well, so the younger kids that were challenged with the balancing got frustrated that the blocks kept seperating. I would not buy this product again unless it was under $30. I might have rated this lower, but it has proved to be versatile. My kids also use it as a border for a "stage", seats for make believe cars, and train/car tracks. I would find an alternative instead of buying this again.
on June 17, 2014
I'm not impressed with this beam set at all. It's very similar to swimming material noodles used for pools. Those are $1.00 each. This set should sell for $12.00 tops! Not worth the cost.
on April 23, 2012
I teach TaeKwonDo and this product is great for our obstacle course and teaches the yooung kids great balance skills!
on December 28, 2012
I like that the pieces are soft, but they do not seem to stay tightly put together unless used very gently.
on February 21, 2016
There are several things that I really love about this item. The bright colors make it fun and I saw how eager my toddler was to want to try it. I also like the fact that you can change the shape so you can keep challenging the child in several different ways rather than a boring, straight beam. This item is easy to take apart and change which for some might be an issue if the child is constantly taking it apart. I have noticed that since these are pushed together just by a plastic rod there is an obvious small gap sometimes between the pieces that no matter how you push it together it is still there which makes me assume this might not be a long lasting item if multiple children are using it, taking it apart etc.

I do think that both my kids will get a few years out of this but doubt it will be something I could then pass on to someone else since I'm not sure how well it will hold up. This item serves it purpose well for the intended use of my daughter to practice her balance/core while having fun so I am happy about that.
on February 7, 2016
Great product. It is made out of the same material as pool noodles so it is very lightweight and tough (crush resistant). The pieces connect with plastic dowels which allows you (or your young kids) to easily rotate the pieces to make a different configuration. If you have kids that like to be rough then this probably isn't for you. If your kids want to use a balancing beam then this is great and pops apart very easily for storage and doesn't hurt your floor (we have them on hardwood).
on June 9, 2016
Way overpriced. However, the point is that the sections do NOT stay together and it if you lose one? No extra plastic connector. I teach Martial arts to kids. I used it for 3 classes. I would NOT by it again. I now use it as stepping stones OH sure the kids TRY to put it back together but they can't do that either and I want them walking on it while kicking and punching. They LIKE it if it would stay together but again it is just the same type of foam pool noodles are made out of so get those and cut in half and the will also be longer and GLUE them. I needed a portable balance beam. UGH.
on November 6, 2015
The foam is more dense than a pool noodle. The girl using this is very small so we haven't had too many issue. I wish the tube dowels used to keep the foam pieces together had a kind of key/lock feature; like a bit of a tab that would be on the dowel that could slide in one direction and twist to lock inside the foam. As it is, there just smooth cylinders and thus slide out a little too easily. There's less separation on carpet, especially if you connect the pieces into a complete circle. It also slides very easily on tile and is a bit of a hazard. (No adult should try stand on it, you'll squish the foam.)

I think it's a little too high priced but ultimately worth since there are so few other options. I'm guessing this is how the retailer is pricing it, not based on it's value but that you can't get anything better.