|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This (2D version) is the first movie in the Full Moon series of Puppet Master films. (No relation to a Donald Sutherland movie by a similar name.) This movie was good enough to launch a long series of sequels, and is a clever premise.
Included is what is advertised as a 3D version -- don't believe it. Most of it looks like a flat image that was just pushed back in depth slightly, but is still flat. Then there's inside-out, broken, eye-strain / nausea inducing imagery that doesn't conform to any definition of 3D that I'd use. The DVD author simply offsets the video by one or two frames in one eye, and on rare occasion (less than 2 percent of the movie, apparently) this produces something that looks somewhat like 3D. The other 98 percent of the time, it just looks like unwatchable poop.
The original filmmakers did not do this 3D conversion. It does not even look like an earnest attempt.
This is a +4 star horror movie, with a -2 star fake-3D assault to the eyes. Hence the 2 star rating.
If you haven't seen Puppet Master and like low budget horror movies (I do), then this DVD is probably worth purchasing (for the 2D version). -- If you like 3D (I do) or think the 3D might be a fun extra, then this is probably NOT the DVD for you, since the 3D is extremely un-3D and a complete waste of money. Saying that this is bad fake 3D, would be a gross understatement.
The box set is comprised of the first seven films in the series, from the first wonderful Puppetmaster to the inferior sequels that came after it. I have to admit- I really didn't like the later movies nearly as much as I did the first three. They have their "charm", I suppose, but overall they're just a little too cheesy for my tastes. There is also an additional disc in the boxset, a collection of trailers for the films. I have to admit that as far as extras go, I was a little underwhelmed. It's been about 20 years since the first film was released- wasn't there anything else they could put in there?
Now for what the series is about. Since Amazon has no description of the actual series, I'm going to give a brief outline of the series. Killer puppets that frequently end up in the hands of the wrong people. Ok, so maybe it's a bit more complex than that, but the beauty of the series lies in how the series' creators were able to take a simple idea & turn it into one of what is arguably one of the most infamous series in horror. Forget Jason & Freddy. If you haven't seen this series or at least the first movie, you can't call yourself a true horror movie buff.
It all starts in 1939, with Andre Toulon and his puppets holed up in a room in a Bodega Bay, California hotel. Having discovered the secret of eternal life in some Egyptian artifact, Toulon has used that knowledge to animate a small group of handmade puppets. These include a Jester whose head consists of three different parts that can spin around to produce the most dramatic of facial expressions; Blade, whose blade and hook appendages make him ideal for dangerous spy missions; Pinhead, a bulky he-puppet with a diminutive head; Tunneler, with a drill-like head; and Leech Woman, who specializes in vomiting up killer leeches. Just before a pair of Nazis arrive to snatch him and his secret knowledge, Toulon manages to hide the puppets inside a wall and then makes sure that his enemies will get nothing out of him when they arrive.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Watching Puppet Master again recently was such an enjoyable experience. I've always had a soft spot for the first few PM movies from hiring them from the local video store when I... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Adamo
I do love the Puppet Master Movie Collection and this is a great box set collection for any horror fan or Puppet Master fan.Published 5 months ago by JJ 99
What horror use to be! Not much of a plot but defiantly a fun ride! Psychics visiting a hotel cone face to face with killer puppets, hell yes!Published 5 months ago by Margarita G. Gutierrez
There was a line on the movie the entire time. It never went awayPublished 10 months ago by Quawnishia Morgan
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Full Moon Video
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy