Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(1 star). See all 195 reviews
on December 21, 1998
I will go to any movie with Steve Martin in it, but I'll never again read a book by him. This is a weak book, the drivel is very rarely funny, and this is a shadow of the Steve Martin humor.
on June 19, 2015
This is a lot of dribble and just not funny
on November 22, 2009
Normally I can't get enough of Steve Martin. I love his movies (Roxanne is my all-time favorite) and have enjoyed his previous books and tapes. But I found "Pure Drivel" to be completely sub-standard. In fact, I stopped after listening to only three tracks. Maybe it gets better, but I was so disappointed that I didn't haven't have the enthusiasm to continue.

Harvey Jacobs
(Still a fan but a little chastened)
on February 7, 2014
One of the best books to listen to (on CD) is Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company. It's a delightful book, made even more charming when the author himself is reading it. Thus, you know Steve Martin can write.

Given his type of humor, you would not necessarily be put off by the title Pure Drivel because you would think it was more of a charmingly self-deprecatory thing than an honest statement of literary and entertainment worth. You would be wrong.

Don't take this on a flight thinking you won't be forced to watch the in-flight movie because you have an amusing book. Even if you've seen the movie twice before, you'll end up opting for the movie because the book is a series of short essays and pondering, some of which might be intended to be experimental and some of which are definitely intended to be satirical, but that completely lack cleverness or any real thrust. It's pure drivel.
on April 24, 2011
The title says it all. It wasn't worth the time or money. I feel like a sucker for buying it. It took about 1 hour to read. Parts of the book were mildly entertaining, but the rest was just nonsense.
on February 19, 2009
I purchased this item because I saw a clip of one story in the book. That clip was the only worthwhile portion of the book. The title of the book is extremely accurate. Just proves a celebrity can get anything publised. I wonder if he had to pay to have it published?
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 2, 1998
Steve Martin has always been a comedic god to me. In the early SNL skits, he was without peer. And in "The Jerk," his performance was one of the most memorable performaces I have ever seen. However, I have been reading his "Shouts & Murmurs" pieces for the New Yorker, and I have got to tell you, I think he should stick to acting. When I saw that Mr. Martin was putting out a book, I was a bit skeptical, because of my rather unethusiastic reaction to his "Shouts & Murmurs" pieces (ie The Wiley Philipino). And needless to say, I am horribly disappointed that this new book is a flop. It is filled with supposedly funny, but rather plain & stupid rants. And in a day when you can purchase similar books that actually are funny, like Jon Stewart's NAKED PICTURES OF FAMOUS PEOPLE and Dennis Miller's RANTS, why waste your time reading not funny dribble from a man who has always conjured up comedic thoughts whenever his name is brought up. Please, Steve, stick to acting or at least try to have something funny or meaningful to say. This format does not do justice to your talents. In fact, I feel pretty horrible about saying anything bad about the man who has brought me so much joy, but Steve please don't ruin your already great image with such garbage.
on December 21, 1998
I love Steve Martin, particularly his wonderful comedy albums like "Let's Get Small," and others, all of which are now available on CD. Get them, not this fluffy book that's only remarkable characteristic is that it has no misspellings. This lightweight book is overpriced for its 104 pages, and is so far from the bathos and substance that Martin had in his early years. In a recent interview on Charlie Rose, Martin said this book is the real him. I think not, and hope not. The comic genius he once was has become anesthetized in this book, and I hope one day to see it reawaken. Fame may have been the worst thing that has happened to Steve Martin. He is a fine comic actor, but he has delusions of adequacy if he thinks he can cut is as a comic essayist. Is success the reason he now turns out these inert books? Perhaps. We miss you, Steve!
on January 6, 2000
I heard Cruel Shoes when I was in high school back in the late 70's and I died laughing. I managed to find a used copy of the book 20 years later. I found it hilarious bacause I imagined Steve doing his stand-up routine. I bought Pure Drivel but couldn't get into it. So I bought the CD thinking the stories needed some punch, but was so disappointed to find Steve simply reading his book. Hell, I could read it as well as him. He needs to memorize the stories, stand up in front of a crowd, and perform like he used to (on his albums "Let's Get Small" and "A Wild and Crazy Guy"). Then he should record that and release it on CD. Sorry, Steve.
on June 25, 1999
While hardly cerebral, Steve Martin has an all around funniness that translates pretty well to stand up acts and motion pictures. As in much of his writing however, 'Pure Drivel' fails to amuse or provoke anything special. Martin is an intelligent man and I suspect has been producing work below his own standard for much of his career; in this sense 'Drivel' represents a pinnacle of sorts. Take a leaf out of this reader's book by taking all the leaves out of his - try 'The Bounting Man' by Helmut Fickenwirth or Roy Williamson's 'Mr. King'. These works are funny, thought provoking and more worthy of print than a slapstick comic's tired ramblings.