Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite The Evil Within 2 Shop now

Pure Heroine
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 11, 2014
First of all, don't buy the "all the songs sound the same" reviews. Unless you just think all synthesizer based songs sound the same. It seems to me that they did in fact try to make each song have its own feeling. She has said that for her it's all about the lyrics and using her voice as an instrument since she doesn't play any instruments on her recordings.

I got "Ribs" as the free iTunes song of the week. I thought "this is pretty interesting". So I checked out the rest of her songs and I found that I liked all of them! Double shock, she's only 16 and she wrote the lyrics! And she seems like a great kid. A little integrity won't hurt the music business.

I have been looking for new music to like for quite a while and not finding much. This is the trouble with growing up listening to the likes of The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, etc..

When I listen to Lorde, I hear a lot of layers of meaning in the lyrics. I also think the music complements the lyrics very well. Although I know teens probably hear different things in the songs, I hear sarcasm, satire, social conscience, teen angst, fear, determination and a lot of honesty. She claims she can "stay good", that she won't fall into the traps that have plagued rising stars for a long time. She has made promises to us in her music and I feel like she really means to keep them. Time will tell.

I also think Royals is not the best song (for me) on the album (and EP). Buzz-cut Season, Bravado, Team, Tennis Court and Glory and Gore are excellent. Listen to them a few times. Listen to Buzz-cut Season a little loud with your eyes closed.

Watch the Tennis Court video on You Tube. Some find it creepy but I call it striking, captivating, brilliant and artistic. I wouldn't be surprised if she does some acting in the future.

She even dresses great. The black getup she wore on Letterman was great. And she has so many different looks. Love all that hair!

Might as well chime on the boyfriend. Leave the kid alone! She has a boyfriend who understands artistic drive and isn't in the same business, that's a good thing. If she's happy, great.

Finally, I don't buy the claim she is a hypocrite. She plainly states that she likes buying things but also says "I know they'll never own me".There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money.

If Lorde is a manufactured snow job, it's an excellent and enjoyable one. If she can put out another album half as good as this, I'll buy it. It will be interesting to see how her music evolves.

I wish her good luck on her journey.

Edit, April 17, 2014,
After listening to this and the Love Club EP over 100 times, I like it even more. The music works perfectly to accentuate the lyrics and the layering of Lorde's harmonies and nuances of her voice in different cuts really makes the music perfect.

P.S., check out London Grammar for songs where the singers voice is the driving force behind music.
55 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2017
The music itself is great! I bought this in vinyl for my sons birthday and the first 2 songs on both sides are messed up and skip really bad. Had to send back :(

UPDATE! I just received a second vinyl record and this one is also messed up and warped. Are records not actually to be listened to anymore? It is not the record player because all his other records work fine.
on November 15, 2013
I am rather remiss to judge any artist by their age, but ultimately it's difficult to ignore the fact that this album was written by a 17-year old. The music and her voice are rather pleasant to listen to; if you like the first single "Royals" for the artistry you will not be disappointed by the album. A lot of the songs are similar, however

The songwriting is good, but the subject matter is really what makes this 4 instead of 5 stars for me. Personally, I find music the most appealing when its universal, when the lyrics could represent anyone's experiences. But this album feels like a sophisticated teenager's experiences. For example, from Tennis Course: "Don't you think that it's boring how people talk/Making smart with the words again/Well I'm bored...And I am only as young as the minute is..." Maybe I'm missing something, but it's hard to relate to.
on February 13, 2014
This album grew on me so quickly. Really enjoy her sound and youthfulness. I am 25 years old and when listening to this album, you can hear and feel what its like to be that young yet full of ambition again. I cant explain it in words but thats how it made me feel. Some albums from younger artists just make you go oh they are just a kid, i cant connect to this. Somehow this album makes me connect and live through it as if i were younger my self.

Take that for whatever it means, get this album.

Edit* 5/18/2015
Looking back on this album, its honestly fantastic. A MUST GET.
on July 12, 2014
I bought the CD because my Daughter loves the song Royals, well in driving listened to the whole CD, and this is the first time I could play a CD straight through without skipping songs or being bored, her voice is Beautiful, and the songs are sweet and angelic to ful of attitude, and she has some where the bass hits and sounds good (as I am not into hip-hop etc.) but I am going to follow this artist, she is amazing!
on February 12, 2014
This record needs no fanfare because it is already racking up awards in the music industry. What I feel makes this stand out is Lorde's creative use of multi tracked harmonies.Her songs seem to not just represent herself, but her generation. She sings "WE" will never be Royals, as opposed to "I". The songs are fairly bare bones in accompaniment, which makes the vocals all the more vital. While a lot of these are built on a rap or hip hop beat, they are not either. These songs have an upswing in attitude and tend to enlighten rather than frighten. The harmony layers remind me more or church choirs than rap. Add in Lorde's modern look on life and you have a one of a kind artist. For a 17 year old girl from New Zealand, I am wondering what kinds of records she will be making in 10 years. This is the start of a career for her. Let's hope it's a good one.
on June 29, 2017
A genius. The first three songs sound like nothing else. Clearly, she is a genius, and for a fourteen year old girl, it is astounding. Her lyrics are wise, decades beyond her age.
on December 25, 2013
Like many others, I heard Royals on satellite radio and decided to explore the artist. Whether Lorde is 16 or 17 or 28 doesn't matter to me - the vocals are amazing. I ripped this into my iTunes and four of my iPods and the play count on every track is soaring. On Christmas day, after hearing twelve hours of holiday music, my son asked if I could play the Lorde songs.

I know there is a lot of talk about her being the next Amy Winehouse. I certainly hope she isn't, but I do see the vocal possibilities. Her treatment of the lyrics are very human and touching and I feel like I want to hang out and talk to her and see what she's like - and then I realize she's 16 or 17 or something and that's silly. Tennis Court is my favorite, yeah, and I rate is over Royals easily.

My search for more found her in the soundtrack for the latest Hunger Games and in a fair number or not-so-great music videos. I also found the Letterman performance that I enjoyed, but found her movements a bit strange. But, when I listen I find myself transported to another age and I really enjoy the journey.

I hope there are many more collections from Lorde over her career and I hope she keeps her head on straight and reaches her full potential. For now, I'm just going to wear this one out.
on August 1, 2015
I absolutely love this CD!(:
It's relatable to the emotions and feelings of someone finding their way; representative of the fun and the naive nothingness that is youth. One of my favorite songs are: Still Sane, which talks about a person going through the motions: exhausted, tired, and trying to make and manage their best through their own personal struggle and obstacles. It's a journey that goes from brotherhood friendship, loneliness, economic scarcity, making the most of what you got from the perspective of the "in between kids". Royals was a great opener, but this album offers so much more than the cheeky display that pokes fun at pop-culture. It's the core of substance and what it means to grow up, be adolescent in less than ideal circumstances.
on February 15, 2014
The lines of what pop "is" has definitely been blurred (pun definitely intended). Lorde is not your typical pop star, if she can even be considered pop, or even a star. Lorde seems unlikely to take the world by storm, but Royals somehow became a HUGE Top 40 radio hit, making the success of Adele's Rolling in the Deep seem like an obvious hit. The song even picked up 2 awards at the 2014 Grammy's. Overall "Pure Heroine" is enjoyable with surprisingly contemplative lyrics, especially when their coming out of 17 year old's mouth. Definitely one of the best releases of 2013, in my opinion. Classifying what genre she is doesn't really matter, Lorde has won and I am looking to see if she will achieve longevity in the very crowded genre of Pop music.

Fave tracks:
Team: Just listen to the lyrics.
Buzzcut Season