Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 966 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,124 reviews
on December 9, 2014
I'm not a big fan of mainstream music. I'm more into older artists such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and pretty much anything before 1980s pop came along (except for disco). Lorde is probably the first artist past the 1990s that I can actually call myself a true fan of. Her music has shown much more quality in the writing and actually means something more than drugs, sex, or money. Each song has a deeper meaning and can relate to situations that people (especially the youth) deal with. To be honest, I don't really care for Royals despite it probably being the most well known. My personal favorites are Buzzcut Season and Ribs. Lorde has truly shown her maturity in her song writing ability despite her young age and is clearly (in my opinion and any other "still sane" person) a superior to Miley Cyrus. " Ya ya ya ya I am Lorde!"
on April 30, 2014
I'm kicking myself right now for waiting so long to get this album. The reason why I didn't is because I wasn't a fan of "Royals", but I heard "Team" not too long ago and I was in love. So I became curious how the rest of her songs were since the album itself is doing so well. I am beyond ecstatic to now own a copy of this album. It is incredible. The remaining songs may be not be "radio friendly" like "Royals" or "Team", but is that such a bad thing? Especially considering the type of trash that is flooding the air waves today. Each song is unique, poetic and genius. I bought the album two days ago and it has been on repeat at work and in my car ever since. I can not get enough of "Pure Heroine". Lorde is definitely an original treasure.
on November 15, 2013
I am rather remiss to judge any artist by their age, but ultimately it's difficult to ignore the fact that this album was written by a 17-year old. The music and her voice are rather pleasant to listen to; if you like the first single "Royals" for the artistry you will not be disappointed by the album. A lot of the songs are similar, however

The songwriting is good, but the subject matter is really what makes this 4 instead of 5 stars for me. Personally, I find music the most appealing when its universal, when the lyrics could represent anyone's experiences. But this album feels like a sophisticated teenager's experiences. For example, from Tennis Course: "Don't you think that it's boring how people talk/Making smart with the words again/Well I'm bored...And I am only as young as the minute is..." Maybe I'm missing something, but it's hard to relate to.
on February 13, 2014
This album grew on me so quickly. Really enjoy her sound and youthfulness. I am 25 years old and when listening to this album, you can hear and feel what its like to be that young yet full of ambition again. I cant explain it in words but thats how it made me feel. Some albums from younger artists just make you go oh they are just a kid, i cant connect to this. Somehow this album makes me connect and live through it as if i were younger my self.

Take that for whatever it means, get this album.

Edit* 5/18/2015
Looking back on this album, its honestly fantastic. A MUST GET.
on July 12, 2014
I bought the CD because my Daughter loves the song Royals, well in driving listened to the whole CD, and this is the first time I could play a CD straight through without skipping songs or being bored, her voice is Beautiful, and the songs are sweet and angelic to ful of attitude, and she has some where the bass hits and sounds good (as I am not into hip-hop etc.) but I am going to follow this artist, she is amazing!
on February 12, 2014
This record needs no fanfare because it is already racking up awards in the music industry. What I feel makes this stand out is Lorde's creative use of multi tracked harmonies.Her songs seem to not just represent herself, but her generation. She sings "WE" will never be Royals, as opposed to "I". The songs are fairly bare bones in accompaniment, which makes the vocals all the more vital. While a lot of these are built on a rap or hip hop beat, they are not either. These songs have an upswing in attitude and tend to enlighten rather than frighten. The harmony layers remind me more or church choirs than rap. Add in Lorde's modern look on life and you have a one of a kind artist. For a 17 year old girl from New Zealand, I am wondering what kinds of records she will be making in 10 years. This is the start of a career for her. Let's hope it's a good one.
on June 29, 2017
A genius. The first three songs sound like nothing else. Clearly, she is a genius, and for a fourteen year old girl, it is astounding. Her lyrics are wise, decades beyond her age.
on December 25, 2013
Like many others, I heard Royals on satellite radio and decided to explore the artist. Whether Lorde is 16 or 17 or 28 doesn't matter to me - the vocals are amazing. I ripped this into my iTunes and four of my iPods and the play count on every track is soaring. On Christmas day, after hearing twelve hours of holiday music, my son asked if I could play the Lorde songs.

I know there is a lot of talk about her being the next Amy Winehouse. I certainly hope she isn't, but I do see the vocal possibilities. Her treatment of the lyrics are very human and touching and I feel like I want to hang out and talk to her and see what she's like - and then I realize she's 16 or 17 or something and that's silly. Tennis Court is my favorite, yeah, and I rate is over Royals easily.

My search for more found her in the soundtrack for the latest Hunger Games and in a fair number or not-so-great music videos. I also found the Letterman performance that I enjoyed, but found her movements a bit strange. But, when I listen I find myself transported to another age and I really enjoy the journey.

I hope there are many more collections from Lorde over her career and I hope she keeps her head on straight and reaches her full potential. For now, I'm just going to wear this one out.
on August 1, 2015
I absolutely love this CD!(:
It's relatable to the emotions and feelings of someone finding their way; representative of the fun and the naive nothingness that is youth. One of my favorite songs are: Still Sane, which talks about a person going through the motions: exhausted, tired, and trying to make and manage their best through their own personal struggle and obstacles. It's a journey that goes from brotherhood friendship, loneliness, economic scarcity, making the most of what you got from the perspective of the "in between kids". Royals was a great opener, but this album offers so much more than the cheeky display that pokes fun at pop-culture. It's the core of substance and what it means to grow up, be adolescent in less than ideal circumstances.
on February 15, 2014
The lines of what pop "is" has definitely been blurred (pun definitely intended). Lorde is not your typical pop star, if she can even be considered pop, or even a star. Lorde seems unlikely to take the world by storm, but Royals somehow became a HUGE Top 40 radio hit, making the success of Adele's Rolling in the Deep seem like an obvious hit. The song even picked up 2 awards at the 2014 Grammy's. Overall "Pure Heroine" is enjoyable with surprisingly contemplative lyrics, especially when their coming out of 17 year old's mouth. Definitely one of the best releases of 2013, in my opinion. Classifying what genre she is doesn't really matter, Lorde has won and I am looking to see if she will achieve longevity in the very crowded genre of Pop music.

Fave tracks:
Team: Just listen to the lyrics.
Buzzcut Season