Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 192 reviews
on April 3, 2017
At least that was the big question mark I was left with. An often asked question, but with such diverse opinion. Well written account of so many lives affected by not only the crime and its victims but their families, as well as the outcome of the system of justice in our courts, which frankly seem to allow more rights to the criminal than to the victims. Nothing new in that statement, but the politics of it left me sickened. Another good book by this author.
on August 30, 2015
It seems that true crime stories have similar themes. The perpetrators life styles of lying, bullying, threats to others, and assaults are excused by those in a position to take some corrective action. The excuses are myriad. "He's really a good kid" "He just needs another chance" "The parents need to take better control" "This crime isn't serious enough to take harsh action." "The evidence isn't sufficient to prove the case". the alibis go on ad nauseum. Once these criminals become adults a different system takes charge and the excuses begin again on a higher level. This case is different in one way, the kids were caught after their first murder. They didn't have the adult mentality to try and cover their tracks and they were compelled to tell others about their brutal acts. Corey Mitchell does a good job of describing each youngster and his childhood and early teens. All along the way, opportunities existed to intervene, but no one did. It is interesting to note that even though the murders were exceptionally brutal and disgusting the boys had supporters. If True Crime interests you, you will find the book well done.
on February 2, 2017
What a horrible, horrible thing to have to go through. My heart went straight for the families of these girls. to even think about their last moments to more than any parents should have to live with forever. God bless this family as they go forward and hopefully fine some piece or meaning.
on January 10, 2017
I was interested in this book because I lived in the apartments by the tracks and trestle and my kids (young adults) used to hang out in those woods at night. When this happened we were all just blown away! We couldn't believe something like that would happen in "our" woods. This book describes the place very well. It gives a thorough biography of each of the persons involved. The one thing I would warn about is the description of the incident is VERY graphic and specific. A minute by minute account given by one of the participants. That's the one part I had a hard time with as I've never read about such a detailed confession of a crime. If you have teenaged daughters who like to walk around by themselves you need to make them read about it. It would probably make them think twice about walking around unprotected. This happened in 1993 and things have gotten a LOT worse since then.
on January 18, 2017
I haven't had a book affect me this deeply in a long time. I cannot stop thinking about it. If only those girls had thought to call their parents and tell them they were on the way home instead of cutting through that field. This haunts me! Young females out alone at night are so vulnerable to crummy opportunists. And these boys who raped and murdered them--rape doesn't even begin to describe what they did to those two young girls. They physically tortured and then destroyed them and giggled about it like little kids. They couldn't stop laughing. This is true psychopathology. I kept trying to figure out what factors in their miserable lives led them to enact such a hideous crime. Those two fathers of those girls! I swear at least one died of a broken heart. I feel happy most of the killers were executed--good riddance. They contributed nothing to this earth but mayhem and horror.
on February 9, 2017
I am not a defender of the death penalty, but as I read this book, it helped me to understand those who are. As a parent, I cannot even comprehend the anger, grief, or the other emotions that these parents must have felt.
on January 13, 2017
Corey Mitchell I must admit is becoming one of my favorite true crime authors! His books are very detailed and come from every different view without glorifying the crime! This is one book that when I finally read it I wanted to read as many books of his as I could! So if you find yourself debating reading this book, I'm telling you don't debate any more! You will love this book I promise! And you will want more!
And I can't wait to read many more books from him, keep up the great work Corey cause you have got another fan!!
on December 26, 2016
I live in Houston and vividly remember this tragic murder of two innocent young girls by the worst humanity can offer. I followed all the news reports as it was happening and I admit I wondered what exactly had happened to the two girls. This book answered this question in a straight forward and thorough way. It was beyond anything a rational mind could ever conceive of. Torture is much too mild a word. I remember following as the trials began. I cheered as these trash scumbags were sentenced to death. They so much deserved even worse such as turning them over to the fathers of Jennifer and Elizabeth. I have thought of their parents often through the years and hope they have somehow found peace. I know Randy Ertman died but I remember him raging on TV at these scum. An awful, awful tragedy!
on April 22, 2016
The book was hard to get through due to the long introduction. I had a hard time reading through it and found myself bored...

But when we got to the crime, it was GRAPHICALLY portrayed which left me horrified. I don't think ANYONE should be told in that much detail what happened to those girls. It was a terrible crime, and I cried after reading the whole passage because I can't even imagine what they went through through that whole ordeal and I did not need to know that much specific detail as to what they did to those girls. WAY too much information on the rapes and it doesn't do any justice to the girls who were murdered.
on April 28, 2017
It's difficult to read as the crimes were so brutal. Even more so as I had come to know Peter Cantu years later and he was not the same person as he was when he was so young and stupid. He definitely deserved the death penalty but that day was bittersweet.