Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on August 15, 2015
If you are a book addict as I am, you will be familiar with the exquisite torture of finding a book that is pure enjoyment to read (even if the emotional ride is a roller coaster) and then discover that you are coming to the end, that there are fewer and fewer pages – or electrons - between your finger and the back cover.

This is my happy problem with Pure Sacrifice. I don’t want it to end.

Look, I’m a guy and most of you are probably women deciding whether or not to buy this novel. I can’t tell you what type of guy you find sexy in a fantasy sort of way, or what heroines you identify with – or don’t - but secretly want to be. For me, Markos is a man (well, he isn’t a man, he’s a unicorn with a man shape) I’d dearly want to be. Celia is a woman I’d deeply enjoy to know and bed. Smart, thoughtful, kind and sexy. (I don’t do bad girls in my dreams – sorry ladies). Of course, I’m married and happily so, so I’m not trading mine in but … a look in the window won’t hurt, will it?

Seriously, as one teacher of writers puts it: “every romance will have a conflict rooted in power. The heroine needs something from the hero and vice versa.” As a guy, I get bored with a steady diet of space opera power struggles with pirates and aliens. What I relish about Pure Sacrifice, now the third of Ms. Gold’s books I’ve read, is how detailed, yet how natural, she makes the struggle between Markos, whose need to save his race is embodied in Celia, and Celia, who needs to find a cause to believe in and a person to believe in her. This is a wonderful tale. You will enjoy discovering all the details of what they need from each other, the pitfalls and wrong turns along the way, and how those needs are fulfilled … or are not.

My disclaimer: I don’t know the author (except to read her blog) nor did she ask me to review her book, which I bought.
on August 22, 2015
Since I read this book in one day, it's hard to give it less than five stars. It does earn a solid 4.5 out of five stars, and I'll try to explain why I rounded it DOWN rather than UP.
It misses five stars simply because I feel like the depth of these characters is questionable. I like them, adore them, but they didn't feel authentic. Each had a single major issue that overshadowed all their interactions. The motivations and reactions did come across a believable to me, but it missed the mark in creating believable, identifiable protagonists. I won't even mention the antagonist's shallowness.
I love the Mythos Plane and I can't wait to discover more about it. I enjoyed the brief mention of the first book's heroine and the obvious hint toward the heroine (a fairy) of the next book. This is a perfect sort of series - where each story stands alone but the characters may appear in the other novels.
These unicorns are seriously awesome! There are no rainbows here, only kick-butt warriors who have a sharp golden horn and aren't afraid to use it if you mess with their mission. The only other unicorn I loved nearly as much as Markos starred in Fablehaven (the latter books of the series) by Brandon Mull. Yes, YA. That's where I typically read, so sue me.
Another reason for me rounding DOWN is because the plot felt predictable. This could be because the author added in the right amount of detail and foreshadowing and since I'm also a writer, I connected the dots. This is a .1 star demerit when the writing and world-building is so amazing.
Yes, there are erotic scenes. I expected that and tended to skim them.
The first scene in the book will raise the hair on your arms and slam your sensibilities into a brick wall. Consider that fair warning. It is NOT a book for someone under 18.
If you're interested in mythical creatures and don't mind heart-pounding romance, you'll definitely want to check out the latest by Jami Gold.
on April 17, 2017
I stayed up Way past my bedtime to finish this. Fun and sweet. Love is Triumphant!! :-D

Baddies all got what they had coming in a satisfying way. Have tissues ready for Christmas break in Iowa. (sniffles). The first 40 or 45% of the book was pretty PG/PG-13 (but still Hot). Last half of the book definitely rated R.

other comments from my household:
Husband - did not read, but rates it 5 stars ;-) Says he is looking forward to me reading the next book in the series. (tehehe)
I definitely recommend this for a fun read.
on August 17, 2015
Okay, I'm going to level with you. This is the first hetero-romance I've read in a very long time where I made it past the first couple of chapters. Not only that, I stayed up well past midnight (on a school night no less) to read as far as I could.

The characters, setting and world-building meshed to create a fascinating read. Markos was amazingly conflicted in his desire to help Celia and resist succumbing. Celia for her part was strong but not at the cost of her femininity and allowed to have a full range of emotions, something I really appreciated.

The only sticking point I had was the attempted rape scene. I understand why it was used and that it's something that worked for the story, though I wish there could have been another way. Ah well, just a minor nitpick.

Overall, I loved this story and the build up between the two of them. Watching both of them learn what it means to be not just friends but lovers.
on November 26, 2015
I loved A Mythos Legacy Series. Pure Sacrifice was fantastic following Treasured Claim which I also enjoyed. I also read Uninteded Guardian, Ironclad Devotion and can not wait for Stone Cold Heart to come out. I recommend these books and thank Jami for sharing her talent with these wonderful stories.

Cookie
on August 14, 2015
I have mixed feelings about this book. Some of my misgivings are undoubtedly caused by tropes or characteristics specific to the romance genre (like beating the reader over the head with how every little inconsequential thing "the virgin" does practically makes the hero jizz his pants every other paragraph--that really started to make me cringe) that simply aren't my preference. I'm also not a huge fan of explicit sex scenes, so I definitely skipped past those parts. If you don't have a problem with with these things, then they won't deter you. I think my main qualm had to do with race in the book. I don't usually bother with race in the little bit of romance that I read, but the author made a small point of it. I applaud and appreciate the author for making the hero "black" and the couple "interracial" (though, technically the hero is a unicorn and doesn't identify with a specific human ethnicity). Love it. Thank you!

BUUUUT as a mixed ethnicity black woman, I couldn't help squinting a bit at the depictions of black people in the book and their reactions to the "lily-white" (author's wording, not mine) blond haired, blue eyed embodiment of all that is pure and good in the world (lol), who is living in the "ninety-five percent black neighborhood of West End" to save on housing costs (according to the book, while she had a scholarship to college, the world had made it perfectly clear that she "didn't deserve more" than living in a black neighborhood where no white woman would dare be on the streets after dark). While picking up a prescription for Auntie Harriet (the kindly, church-hat-wearing, doting "mammy") in the evening, she is of course grabbed and almost sexually assaulted by a drugged-up black pimp, presumably waiting in the shadows for stray "white pussy" (again, author's words, not mine) to wander into his territory. She is saved by the hero– a huge, buff, black buck tasked with protecting her virginity at all costs. Of course, one glimpse of her bare "lily-white ass" nearly sends him into spasms of uncontrollable lust, which is the theme for much of the book (reminiscent of the idea that black men would live and die to sexually conquer a white woman). This became more problematic near the end (SPOILER ALERT) when after they have almost unicorn-human magic sex, a TATTOO OF A ROPE appears up his back and AROUND HIS NECK signifying that he now BELONGS to the "not quite virgin" (to be fair, during another everything-but-vaginal-penetration sex scene she pledges her soul to him, adding gold to the rope, but from that point on he is magically bound to do whatever she says, and the binding is not reciprocated). And he's proud and happy and empowered by this. I won't even go into why this is a BAD choice of imagery (ok, I just have to mention that black men have been HUNG BY THE NECK WITH A ROPE for just WHISTLING at a white woman. Bad, BAAAAD choice of imagery).

However, I don't think the author intended to build characters based on classic stereotypes of blacks and whites. I believe that these cliches are so ingrained in the collective American psyche, and it's a challenge to create characters that don't fall into those categories. It's just easier to fall back on what we think we know. I'm not mad at the writer for that. She's a white author putting forth an effort to be diverse (she even wrote a blog post about diversity), and working with the possibility that non-caucasian heroes can be sexy and desirable too, and not just to non-caucasian heroines! Now I'm looking forward some ethnic diversity among the female leads as well in future offerings from mainstream (i.e. not urban/black romance) authors that depict them as as beautiful, desirable, smart, funny, and worthy of love as their white counterparts! We all deserve to be the heroine of an epic love :).

Anyway, enough of my issues. On the flip side, impossible doomed romances that are marked by longing and defy the odds, with hurting but good-hearted male leads are my JAM (it also didn't hurt that the author mentioned that her original model for the male lead was dreadlocked Jason Momoa, to which I said, "I APPROVE"). To that end, I read this in a matter of just a few hours. Didn't put it down 'til I was finished. Though that marathon reading session was punctuated by some squinting, a fair bit of scoffing, and skipping several pages of sex scenes, I think it's a pretty good recommendation that I spent my whole Friday afternoon neglecting my own creative pursuits to live temporarily in the fruit of another's. Do your thing, Mrs. Gold. I ain't mad at'cha. :)
on September 25, 2015
Jami Gold writes this series perfectly! I love her personality and writing blogs, this book was well done and I can't wait for the others in the series. Great new author on the paranormal scene!
on October 16, 2015
Fun, sweet, light, intriguing.... I hope this author writes more about these unusual characters. I'm new to the genre but I like it!