Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno

• Pure
  • Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 297 reviews
on April 1, 2013
I was really excited when this book went on sale (I think it was a daily deal a while back). The story sounded so intriguing and despite my reservations about the "fusing" I knew I had to read it. I started it six days ago. It really isn't too terribly long of a book so I should have been able to finish it rather quickly. except I couldn't. Most books will take me a day or two to read because I get so caught up in the story that I MUST keep going.

In the case of Pure, I had to stop after a handful of chapters because I could feel myself losing interest. About 50% of the way through I found myself skimming. At 80% the book FINALLY picked up. If the whole book had been like the last 20% I would have most likely been able to say I loved It.

The ending was good and powerful. I loved it. Unfortunately the lead up took way too long and the author tended to focus on things I didn't think were truly that pertinent to the story.

I also had problems with how the book was written. I don't mind present tense writing when it's first person. For the most part I think in the present tense so it usually jives pretty well. However the third person present tense felt a little unnecessary. I remember noting in my head that I was going to have to take points off for that because it was really distracting.

My reservations about the "fusing" also proved to be well founded. I am in the health-science field which is probably what made it just a little too unbelievable. Anything capable of fusing objects to bodies would most likely kill everyone by melting all their tissue or something. I was able to get passed this by suspending my disbelief for a while. But then I was introduced to Groupies and Dusts and other odd combinations of fusing. I was lead to believe that anything they were touching they fused to. So if that's the case, why can they take off their clothes? Why didn't those fuse to them? Why did some people fuse to the ground, but others didn't? If their feet were on the ground, why didn't they all fuse to it? It just seemed like too big of a hole for me.

There will be much debate with myself if I actually want to continue this trilogy. I think I liked this book well enough to give the next one a shot, but I have more reservations this time.
on February 21, 2013
4.5 stars for this one. My usual criteria for rating a book five stars is that it captured me so deeply that I'd read it again. I don't come across those reads very often but Pure is almost one of those.The writing was evocative & atmospheric and made it one of the most well done dystopian novels I've read. It also was one of the best modern YA novels I've ever read. Everywhere there are hallmarks of taking flight to freedom. A boy named nicknamed Partridge. Pressia's mechanical pet Freedle. Lyda's wire bird. The birds forever fused to Bradwell's back. Partridge's mother's swan pendant & card with their messages. The theme isn't heavy handed & just flows quietly along in the story as the characters from inside & outside the Dome struggle with the idea.

Also this is not a world populated by perfect pretty main characters or those who'll be fixed by some wave of the hand to become aesthetically palatable. Radiation & being forever fused to organic & non-organic things sort of negates that whole thing & I really liked that. When I came across this book, I read that Pressia (the female main character) had a doll head fused to her hand & knew that I needed to read this. It doesn't take long into the story to realize that as fusings go, Pressia & her grandfather are pretty lucky. I have to admit that I was impressed by the description of the Dusts, Beasts & Groupies, the Mothers & Special Forces. And as those in control inside the Dome, their worldview is nastily warped with the Return to Civility. The road taken to achieve it is flat out barbaric & it's not any more able to be overlooked than the physical damage those outside the Dome have. As I read, I could see the beauty of the survivors on the outside. I'm still looking for the same in those in control of the Dome dwellers. This is a place that I was fascinated to read about but I don't know that I'd want to see this as a movie. This is a world that's difficult to look at. The beauty of a scar as a symbol of survival is a powerful thing but watching people fused with window frames, glass shards, cell phones, earbuds, other people, appliances, trees and all manner of other things, just works better for me on a page.

Anyway, the general thrust of the story is Pressia & her need to escape OSR as she's turned sixteen & Partridge (Ripkard?) bailing the Dome to go on a search for the mother he believes is alive outside. They meet up, things go not entirely as expected & the quest to go up against the establishments will ensue & play out over the course of a few books so no tied off story here. There are explanations given about what led up to all this (a merging of politics, religion & social beliefs) & I was impressed that so much detail was given. In the end, it left me wanting to know so much more about Partridge's parents & everything else leading up to the Detonations. Willux is of course, flawed but I couldn't also help but hold annoyance with Aribelle for practically writing off Sedge & just focusing on Partridge for code disruption. I didn't find the reason she did it wholly satisfying but I know it's supposed to absolve her of a bit of culpability. I wasn't expecting any huge resolution & very much tempered my expectation that I would find out what the hell happened that led to the day of the Detonations. What happened to the existing government? The rest of the globe? Hopefully those will be covered a bit in the rest of the series.

I very much liked the interaction of Bradwell & Partridge. They had good banter & bicker moments. At times, I was more interested in their part of the journey than I was in Pressia's (El Capitan did make for an engaging addition to the story though. Still not quite sure when he went all-in with Pressia & Partidge's crusade & abandoned his own but... okay.). Lyda turned out not to be a one off character but her part of the story, while interesting, was very slow going. To be fair, she has fewer entries than the others. Sedge's fate was so underscored in the beginning that I figured he had taken a different path. It was only a matter of time until that was revealed. I worked out the twist about Pressia as well, but I didn't feel it was a flaw in the narrative.

All in all, I'm glad that I read this book. It wasn't a very quick read for me as the images tended to stick in my mind & I wanted breaks along the way. I need to get the next installment from the library soon because I need to know what's next.
on February 10, 2013
I liked this book, enough to pre-purchase the 2nd in the series.

A quick and dirty rundown of the PROS:

Minimal grammar issues, maybe 1 or 2. Nice interweaving of both post-apocalyptic and dystopia (where many are set in a dystopian world well after an apocalypse which isn't seen by the viewer). While there was no "adult" content, this was a good read for adults as well as the older "YA" crowd. (I hate that YA can really mean pre-teen or something really more for adults...it's kind of a big spectrum!)

Each chapter focuses on a different character but still told in the third person, which I liked because it was done well. The story kept my attention despite the length of the book (which was a good length!). Just enough action and mystery and the characters were interesting.

CONS
Really only one...I had a hard time getting into the book because the first quarter of the book was confusing. Because each chapter is by a different character, it took some time to get enough of a story for each character to pull the basics of the story together. The fusings were the most confusing part, to the point I wish there were pictures because I couldn't quite get it. But in the end, I think that's a part of its unique genius because it wasn't something I was familiar with or had seen before. The last thing I didn't like was I wish Bradwell was a character from which some chapters were told. He was key enough I would have liked to "see" inside him to try and understand who he is and if he can be trusted. Perhaps there is a reason for this that will soon be revealed...

I would encourage readers to push through a bit to about halfway before deciding if you like it. Reading the samples will not "hook" you because they aren't long enough to give the reader a good enough taste of what the book is like.
on February 15, 2013
Pure is a novel about a world after the Detonations. Only those in the Dome survived without injury, and they are called the Pures. The wretches are the poor, unfortunate people who were outside when the bombs went off, leaving them burned and fused to inanimate objects or even other people. The story revolves mostly around Pressia, a newly turned 16-year-old girl who fears what her future may hold; Bradwell, a revolutionary whose parents had inside info before they died; and Partridge, a Pure who decides to break out of the Dome to learn more about his past and the world outside of the utopia the Pures have created inside the Dome.

My favorite thing about this book is the imagery. The author creates this world that makes me cringe at times, and the fusings that the characters have experienced are shocking and make me wonder how I would function in the same situation. I think the story says a lot about the human condition and our ability to continue on when life has turned against us. One character who was not a huge character but I really liked was Lyda, a Pure who has feelings for Partridge and helps him escape by keeping silent. She ends up being a character that shows a lot of strength, even in times when she does not understand what is happening around her.

I love the depth of some of the characters, and I really felt like they were more than what they seemed, like most people are. We end up with an interesting array of characters fighting the good fight and trying to make the world a better place for everyone.

I loved this book and am super excited to read the sequel, which I will definitely be doing. I recommend this book to anyone who loves to read post-apocalyptic novels or anything sort of supernatural. I thought this book was excellent!
on February 17, 2013
I do not regret buying this book.
I am not usually one for sci fi, although I am now becoming more of a fan of these futuristic stories, where in this case, based on past human mistakes (hiroshima), this could be totally plausable.

I enjoyed watching Pressia evolve through the story, from just a survivor to a soldier. I loved her character and (spoiler) I am glad she and Bradwell fell for one another. What I really liked was the subtle romance between them, it didnt distract from the mission these young people were on.

I was enthralled with the authors descriptions of different fusings and although some people have said its quite graphic, I didnt think so. (however I am a little older than its YA target audience and may be quite desensitised).

What did annoy me, is I didnt realise this was not a stand alone novel and didnt find that out till the very end and have been waiting for a whole year to read book 2 (which finally ends tomorrow when Fuse is released).

All in all, I LOVED this book, it was unique (although some reviews say its similar to other books, I havent read them), intriging and full of suspence. Julianna Baggot has a great way with words and her writing makes it so you can clearly see these wonderful fusings and this dark world in your mind.

I have recommended it and have heard great reviews from those people too. Read it for yourself and form your own opinion. Not sure if it will be another year for book 3 (I hope not).
on February 24, 2014
In the land of the 24 hour news cycle, this alteration by those in power seems to be a given. The future world of "Pure" is post apocalyptic with the "best and the strongest" living in a Dome protected from the winds of nuclear waste. The story of ethnic cleansing is tragically not new. What this book does accomplish is the story of the best and strongest, victim of genetic disaster, who remain in fact the purist of the remaining world.

The story moves quite slowly, and at some places it drags. Weakest are the endless details of geography and placement of ruins. Strongest are the character, both those of the "wretched world" and the rebellious few of the Pure. Prussia has been fused to the head of the doll she held at the time of the detonation. She views herself as weak and ruined, yet she lives to explore a great conspiracy. She is quirky, and lucky and we enjoy her thoughts. While this novel does run slow, I al eager to continue the next book.
on October 12, 2012
First off, I'd like to preface this review by letting everyone know : this is the first in a trilogy, not a standalone novel. The second novel, Fuse, comes out on February 19th, 2013.

This novel takes place in the not so distant American future, where Detonations have occurred, causing death to most, and fusions of humans to items they were touching with a part of their body or were around, at the time of the blast.

Main character Pressia is a young girl who was living with her grandfather at the time of the Detonations, herself incurring a doll onto her hand, and her grandfather a fan motor into his throat. Other characters are fused with siblings, have birds infused into their back, or were fused with a cement walkway and had to be removed. These members of society are living in an ash filled world, just trying to survive the post-apocalyptic scenario.

On the flip side, there are members who live in the Dome, and are deemed Pure. They reached this safe haven before the Detonations occurred, and live in a life of semi-luxury, away from the death and mutations. One boy though, Patridge, lives in the Dome, but comes to find out his mother might still be alive on the outside, and plans an escape.

How does the escape happen, and why is it so easy? Who does Patridge meet on the outside to help him along his way? What secrets are revealed between Patridge's father, his mother, and Pressia? Who is trying to take over whom for ultimate authority? What do they do to children when they turn 16 in the world outside of the Dome? Why were these Detonations allowed in the first place, and why did some know about them in advance? Those are what will be revealed and more within this twisting novel.

I felt the overall theme is one of dystopian nature, as well as a slight bizarro-like feel. The novel started out a bit slow, and had a few slow spots in the middle, giving some character development and enveloping you with the world that has resulted from these Detonations. It didn't skip around to the point that you felt lost, but did delve into quite a few side stories that connected by the end. It set it up pretty well for a second book, but I have my reservations on if it can keep steam for a full trilogy, we'll have to see. The first book has also been optioned for movie form, so that could be interesting as well.
VINE VOICEon March 15, 2012
Do we truly know the effects of something as catastrophic as nuclear war? What happens to people 2 years later, 10 years later, 50 years later? Now imagine the power of nuclear catastrophe in the hands of madmen with a mission- save the elite population, erase the rest of the population, and start over. In Julianna Baggott's Pure, the world has been irrevocably changed, but only a handful of people know the real story behind its destruction. Everyone else is just trying to survive.

When the Detonations occurred, many people were lucky enough to be touring the Domes, which were created as a prototype to protect the population from nuclear war. But only a small amount of the population survived the Detonations in the Dome. Everyone else was left outside to fend for themselves. While most people died, something strange happened to the ones who actually survived the blast- they fused to things around them. Pressia's hand fused to the doll she was holding. Some people fused to other people, and many mothers fused to their own children. People fused to animals, creating strange mutations, some more human than others, but all called Beasts by the people outside the Dome. Other people fused to trees, building rubble, and even the earth, becoming Dusts, the dangerous mutations that stalk people as they walk across the ground. Survivors of the Detonations wear their scars with pride, but for Pressia, her doll's head hand has always been a reminder of everything she lost.

Now Pressia is trying to escape the OSR, a radical group that hunts the weak and gathers the strong at age 16 to become soldiers to fill their ranks. She has managed to escape them so far, but the appearance of a Pure, a boy from inside the Dome, has her risking her life to save both of them. Partridge escaped the monotonous life in the Dome on the wisp of a hope that his mother was still alive after growing up and being told she died in the Detonations. His father, leader of the Dome, was about to put him under to try recoding (genetic alterations done to improve people in the Dome), but Partridge escaped before the surgery can be done. When he comes across Pressia, he is willing to risk everything, even his life, to find his mother. Pressia takes him to Bradwell to help him find his mother.

Bradwell is the son of two people who knew the real intentions of the Domes. He holds meetings and tries to educate the wretches outside the Domes about the "cleansing" the elite in the Dome accomplished with the Detonations, but his efforts don't get him very far. When Pressia comes to him with a Pure, he isn't interested in risking his life for some unscarred kid who knows nothing about true suffering. What he doesn't expect is to care about Pressia more than anyone can afford to care about another person in such a cruel, harsh world. When Pressia is snatched by OSR soldiers, Bradwell agrees to help Partridge find his mother only if they find Pressia first. Together they set off through a new world full of mutations and abominations in order to find people who may already be lost. But the one thing they have not lost is hope that Pressia and Partridge's mother are still alive. Hope is all they have left.

Wow! Julianna Baggott really let the creative juices flow with this one! There are so many dystopias and post-apocalyptic stories out there these days that it is hard for books to not feel somewhat derivative of what came before them, but Baggott wrote a truly original, unique, innovative story that kept my interest from the first page to the last. It felt like some kind of macabre, nuclear, Island of Dr. Moreau with all the creepy combinations that happened when people fused after the Detonations! I admit I was a little confused by everything at the very beginning of the story, but as the explanations quickly unfolded, I couldn't tear myself away from the story. And the deep corruption that ran through the society is simply fascinating. But the best part of the story was the three main characters: Pressia, Partridge, and Bradwell. There is so much going on with these three kids from totally different backgrounds, but somehow they are all connected. They were dynamic characters who you can't help but find yourself invested in. I loved how this story unfolded and revealed more and more depth with each passing page without feeling as though there were huge information dumps or too much held back- it was the perfect blend of contextual understanding and suspense.

I would probably give this story to any mature young adult through adult who is interested in science fiction or post-apocalyptic and dystopian stories. I wouldn't give this to an immature or weak reader, not because the content is overly sexual or violent (because it isn't), but because the story is very complex and intricate. It would most likely lose a person who wasn't a strong reader with enough stamina to get to the heart of the story and work everything out. And it would be a shame to ruin this book for them by giving it to them before they are ready for it because this really is an amazing story! I have no idea where the series plans to go with the next book, but if this book is any indicator, it is going to be amazing. Honestly, that unpredictable nature of the story is what makes it so unique! And I have this sick, twisted, morbid fascination with seeing what kinds of strange mutations we will run into next! This first book has the potential to be the beginning of a legendary series.
on March 17, 2012
I have thought of a thousand things I would love to say about this book but the first thing is WOW! It left me breathless and wanting more. In all the YA books i have read this is one of those books that left me feeling almost lonely when it was over. I grew to love each and every character for their uniqueness.
Pressia, the heroine of this book is gutsy and spunky and she seemed like a girl i would love to meet. She accepted her differences and went on to discover who she was. and she accepted it and handled it like a woman.
Bradwell and Partridge were two hero's that were so different from one another but found out that they weren't as different as they had once thought. Love comes through again~
The storyline left me intrigued and guessing and engrossed in it. It had a couple boring parts but its 448 pages. The storyline was well written and greatly executed and very satisfying. Although it did leave me hungry for part two. The story is told from 4 different point of views and I loved that about the book also!
Pure is a book that i will remember for a long time. It is unique and satisfying and left nice afterthoughts about it long after i put it down. If you have a chance to read this book. READ IT. I highly recommend it! It is awesome! Ibought two exta copies one for my personal collection and one to send to my brother.

Publisher-Grand Central Publishing
Reviewer Rating: 5 STARS!
Reviewed by~Lora(Read for your future)
on February 4, 2013
Okay, so I'm a bit past YA but I decided to try this, and a few others. While I haven't finished it, it's pretty good. Some things could be explained better, and I do wonder, "Are there no doctors outside the Dome?" as well as a few other things that if one is being very concerned with all the science part of the fantasy to fall into place and make sense, well, it doesn't. So, I'm looking passed that and who knows? It could come out more in future books and it could just be me! I find the characters, Pressia, Bradwell and Partridge, interesting enough to look past the flaws. Their stories are slowly unfolding, just a little at a time, as is information about the Time Before. I admit, I almost gave up on it in the beginning but I'm glad I didn't and I look forward to the next in the series, "Fused".

Can anyone recommend any dystopian type novels more geared toward's adults? Tons with young people, but I'd like something more towards my own age.....over 21 and under 100, lol.