Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on January 9, 2014
Is sugar worse than fat? Is Sugar just as bad as High Fructose Corn Syrup? Should we have this in our food supply? Should we all go back to eating what our grandmother's cooked? Do the kids of today know that package food is a fairly new invention? My own kids had never seen a Brussels sprout stock or the green tops of carrots. We have moved so far away from our natural food sources that many kids are actually surprised to find a friend at school who has veggies in their lunchbox. One child even asked my son, "what are you eating? Grass?" My son was eating plain fresh spinach. Take a look in the lunchboxes of children and you'll discover a high sugar, low fiber, low nutrient meal and these children are eating this every single day! It's worse after school when their tired parents cook up what they think is a fairly healthy meal from the freezer section, and adding insult to injury, rarely include a fruit and or vegetable with that meal.

Is type II Diabetes a real disease or did we create it by putting sugar, salt, fat and HFCS in our food? This book has a lot of details that will cause non-nutritionist to zone out, but read it anyway and skip those parts. You'll still understand the book and learn why the Sugar Industry has so much power and influence over your food supply and why you cannot stop the madness simply by choosing NOT to eat it. You may also discover that artificial sweeteners are no worse for you than plain old sugar, a concept I could not grasp until now. The reason? They're both TERRIBLE for you. Again, grandma didn't put much sugar or sweetener in her cooking. Cook like grandma and stop buying food in bags. Pull it out of the ground or off of a tree. (Obviously buy what came from the earth - not all of us can have gardens and orchards).
on December 21, 2016
The information that Dr. Yudkin shares from the 1970's about the dangers of sugar is super-relevant even today with our soaring diabesity rates and other health issues. The controllers suppressed Dr. Yudkin as they have been doing for many years when someone reveals truths that affect a specific industry. In this case, it's the Sugar Cartel that lobbied against his discoveries, marginalized his research and made him to look like a quack. Basic propagandizing by a bunch of idiots with big egos. Everyone concerned about their personal health and the health of their loved ones needs to read this book.

I never thought that sugar could be linked to heart disease as I was indoctrinated, like most people, to believe that heart disease is all about eating meat, butter and other fat-laden foods, only. But Dr. Yudkin explains his findings in detail much to the chagrin of those running the Sugar Cartel and other related industries. Get the book and see for yourself.

Very eye-opening and a great perspective builder. Dr. Yudkin's work should be praised for his tireless efforts and his research. Instead, he was suppressed and made to look like a fool by those in power for fear of losing profits. He didn't have all the answers, but his research proved that something was amiss and he just wanted to know the truth.

He stated that if he had the power to do so, he would ban all processed sugar including cane sugar. And as someone who still struggles with sugar, I agree with him. Sugar has been proven to be many times more addictive than cocaine.
on May 17, 2016
After I read this book the first time I was pretty steamed about our collective ignorance of the dangers of the ingestion of sugar. Like a person who recently quit smoking, I wanted to warn my family and friends. I may as well have talked to walls. Like many moms I fed my children sugary cereals. Now I cringe at the memory. Everything we "like" seems to have sugar in it. What do we do now? Thank goodness for this researcher's persistence. Much appreciation to Robert H. Lustig, M.D. for writing about this book and bringing my attention to it. Be sure to read his book, Fat Chance.
on June 9, 2014
Although John Yudkin died in 1995 trying to warn the world of an epidemic caused by the over-consumption of sugar he has left behind an excellent read and masses of information for us to consider. In his position as head of Nutrition at the University he was black-banned by the sugar industry who made it their business to discredit his and fellow scientist's findings. Legal suits followed with apologies being made to Yudkin. Parents and Grandparents sugary items are not treats to be given to our young. It could be responsible for many more diseases than the ones we are all familiar with. An excellent book.
on March 4, 2014
So of course information like this has been discredited and hidden from the public arena. Didn't occur to me how much our diet has changed in the last 100-200 years let alone the last 10,000. For example, fruits were never readily available to europeans because they grew in warmer climates. And the fruit of today is not what it was when we discovered it, we have cultivated the sweetest varieties and under the precept that they are 'natural' advocated our unadjusted bodies would benefit from them. Of course fruit has many nutritional benefits, but consider the sugar load that our bodies have let to evolve to manage. I know only eat small amounts of low fructose fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, kiwifruit. You may think these expensive but its far cheaper compared with the amount of chocolate, sweets and cakes my body was addicted to eating! Join the sugar free revolution - actually will change your life! and remember do your own research, even trusted nutritional agencies have agendas - consumerism is a big money maker.
on October 6, 2014
I only wish I could give it more stars.
It was almost painful to read sometimes, to learn that the epidemics of diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, breast cancer, obesity, and on and on--from which we are now suffering on a global scale--could have so easily been prevented entirely. All that was needed was for the medical community to read this book (in the '70's!), consider his excellent evidence and many insights, and follow up on his many suggestions for further research.
Better late than never, even if very late. It's high time for everybody to learn and accept the truth about sugar, and then pressure our governments to deal with it before the world's medical systems become completely unaffordable!
The logical follow-up after this book is the one by Dr. R. Lustig, "Fat Chance" which draws on much more recent evidence to illustrate this issue even further.
on November 7, 2015
Pure, White and deadly picks up where Sugar Blues left off, in the modern day context of a toxic western food system where disease's of obesity and rampant addiction is now the norm in our Society due to the increased use of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. If you believe your cola is benign and that drinking the stuff everyday won't hurt you...think again! Yudkin illustrates with extreme clarity how the unrelenting consumption of sugar and HFCS is killing us.
on July 23, 2014
The information in this book is invaluable & it's a crime that the food industry has been able to bury it for so long. It's about time consumers became aware of how they are being manipulated by food companies that only care about their bottom line & not people's health. They are powerful enough to make the government think it's their problem or place the onus on individuals. The food companies have monopolised choice, so the average person doesn't realise food is making them sick. Do yourself a favour & read this book & tell everyone about it.
on September 19, 2016
Great, informative book about sugar. Some parts are dry, but it's a science book about sugar! Overall, I really enjoyed it. Just don't it bring it by the pool or leave it in the sun. The binding is glued and will far apart easy. I now have to bobby pin the pages. I still recommend it!
on April 27, 2014
WOW, they(FDA,USDA,MDA,AMJA,and all other alphabets) knew and still know about the health issues with sugar and refuse to admit it!. The people whom we pay to look out for us are really doing a great job of filling their pockets at the publics health expense. It's all about the number of sick people that add up to profits, the more get sick, the more profits. The book has a lot of studies that are long and some are hard to follow, but the main theme got across very well. If you like this book by all means look into FAT CHANCE by ROBERT H LUSTIG MD. which is more up to date on the subject of sugar and obesity.