The Purge (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
So what do they have to thank? The Purge. The Purge is a 12-hour period during which all crime is legal and all police, medical and emergency services are suspended. Radio and news casts bombard viewers with soma-popping Brave New World mantras about "unleashing the beast within" to "cleanse [or purge] our inherently violent nature."
What's most interesting about this society is that The Purge is embraced by most everyone. Sure, there are media debates on how The Purge "targets" the poor who can't afford to defend themselves, but even the wealthy--with their armored home security systems--socialize, talk about what they're doing during The Purge or "purge" together in hunting parties.
All of the pro-Purge political views are presented through an upper class filter--more specifically, the pro-Purge mindset of James Sandin (Ethan Hawke; Sinister, Daybreakers), a home security system salesman who lives in a ritzy neighborhood full of fake, well-to-do smiling neighbors. This year, instead of attending a party, James is spending a quiet purge with his wife Mary (Lena Headey; Game of Thrones, Dredd, The Cave, The Brothers Grimm), son Charlie (Max Burkholder) and daughter Zooey (Adelaide Kane).
James' family is less embracing of The Purge than the rest of the neighborhood but, for fear of death, they abide by the social standard but do not themselves partake. Catching more of our attention is James.Read more ›
1. Despite how it was advertised, this is not a horror movie. The sooner you realize this, the better.
2. This is a dark, violent, well-acted, and uncomfortable allegory about the American class system.
3. The movie takes place over a span of 13 hours. Ethan Hawke plays a well-meaning, but rather rigid, father that lives in a very wealthy gated community with his family. They settle into their home for the evening behind their state-of-the-art security system to keep out of The Purge. The Purge is a night where all crime is legal. This is designed to let Americans vent their frustration, anger, and violent impulses, so that the rest of the year everyone can get along better. Anyway, the two kids end up compromising the security of their house, and the family must defend their lives from psycho college students who want things the family has.
3 There are some parts of the movie that, at first, seem dumb or unrealistic. But if you look at those instances as metaphor, the whole movie unlocks and begins to make sense.
4. This movie is less concerned with telling an actual story, and more concerned with examining issues of entitlement, envy, the dangers of using God as a foundation of patriotism, and the deep dehumanization of others (as well as the self) that is required to keep those things going.
5. The home-invasion thriller part of the movie is well-acted and has some surprises.
6. There is a lot of violence in this movie, but not like some people expect. It is not about showing rampant carnage so that the audience can experience their own Purge vicariously. The epic idea of the movie is scaled way down to become an intimate experience.Read more ›
And also, it was just bad all around.
The twist with the neighbors is interesting, but that's about as far as I went.
I wouldn't buy it again. I will buy the newer one to see if it's more of what I wanted to see.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A home invasion flick with an interesting premise but one that glorifies violence, and yet another theatrical de-sensitization effort towards terrorizing suburban violence, not... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Rick H
Dumb movie, weak plot. One good sniper on the roof could have taken out the whole silly gang of bad guys before they ever got in the house. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jennifer Windham
Excellent movie, keeps you on the edge the whole movie!! If you never have seen it you will probably jump at one point!!Published 6 months ago by morris
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Digital Copy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy