- Age Range: 4 - 8 years
- Grade Level: Preschool - 3
- Series: Children's Books with Good Values
- Paperback: 32 pages
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (February 24, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1496049586
- ISBN-13: 978-1496049582
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.1 x 8.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #799,237 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Purim Story: Picture Books for ages 3-8, Jewish Holidays Series (Children's Books with Good Values) Paperback – February 24, 2014
The 10 Most Valuable Children’s Books and Affordable Alternatives
Dust off those boxes, cross your fingers and pray you have one of these. Learn more on AbeBooks.com
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
THE JEWISH BOOK COUNCIL
Review by Michal Hoschander Malen
Purim may be our most colorful holiday and it certainly lays a good claim to
being the most fun. That is why so many retellings of the story are filled with
colorful illustrations and told in sprightly rhyme. Sarah Mazor's version fits
that bill, too, but what gives this one a special twist is the section at the
end, which discusses the laws and customs of the holiday as these, too, are
taught in clever rhyme and are also accompanied by illustrations. The
story-in-rhyme is preceded by a slightly more serious prose explanation of the
holiday's history as well as a glossary.
Recommended for ages 3-8
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle Edition for FREE. Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
It seems that it didn't take the author more than 5 minutes to write it, otherwise I don't have any explanation to this extremely poor quality.
I definitely regret that I've spent any money on it.
- Great education about what Purim is
- tells what customs are observed during the holiday and why
- has a glossary of hebrew terms used
- has a cute rhyming style (although the language is a little higher reading level than needed for children)
- The story includes language that I feel is absolutely too dark/completely inappropriate for small children. For example - it says Haman wants to "kill" all the Jews - why not use less scary/specific language like "get rid of", "hurt", "destroy"... Another example - It says Haman is "hung on a tree"... Why do they need to be that specific/graphic? I personally do not feel comfortable reading this to my child, and I definitely do not feel comfortable sharing this with my non-Jewish family as an introduction to the holiday.
In the end, Purim is a joyous holiday, and I was tripped up by the blunt descriptions of the negative parts of the story. I would keep this just to use the glossary and customs background, but I will be looking for a different version of the actual story that is more child-friendly.
Reviewed by children's author, Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
Children will love learning about Purim and the customs and observances of this holiday. It is a delightful and educational book that all schools and libraries should have. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about this Jewish holiday.
This is another outstanding book from MazorBooks synonymous with excellence in teaching children about good behavior and important life lessons.
Now that I am a mother , it is most gratifying to pass on my family traditions to my children. One of those traditions is teaching the children the story of Purim.
Sara Mazor, the delightful author of The Purim Story, presents the enchanting tale of Purim for young readers to learn about and enjoy. The colorful pictures are captivating and the rhyming is smart and adorable! It is a great introduction to the holiday of Purim, not only for families who have been celebrating it for years, but also those who are new to the traditions and simply want to learn more about this fun and inspiring holiday. Highly recommended!