Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,284 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,524 reviews
on April 21, 2016
"There Will Never Be Another Like Prince, the Greatest Recording Artist of All Time. Prince Rogers Nelson was—and still is—the gold standard of artistry. A brilliant guitarist, bassist, arranger, and producer, he was more than a visionary. He was an entity unto himself..." - Stereo Williams, Daily Beast.

Never was this more manifest in the music and the struggle that accompanied it that is Purple Rain. With a soundtrack made up of an album where each and every song was on its own a bonified hit (and the album doesn't include anything by The Time, for whom Prince wrote and arranged most of their stuff!), the musical landscape of the film gets intersticed with the pseudo-biography of the young man's effort to release the musical genuis inside of himself and remake a local (and, for us, international) music scene. The performances are occasionally stilted and we're sometimes reminded that these for the most part are not actors...yet, somehow, where that would debase another film, here that truth adds to the authenticity of the music-scape and, ultimately, the journey Prince's "The Kid" takes. In the course of becoming, we explode with joy, tears, and music made manifest all coming together to signify something beyond ourselves, yet linking each of us one with the other. Indeed. Let this film wash over you.
on March 16, 2017
It’s Prince at his best!

Auto-biographical he’s “The Kid” and plays out of a nightclub in Minnesota. He lives in the basement with his mixed ethnic parents--enduring their violent, yet passionate relationship. His dad is a composer but unfortunately drunk most of the time.

He escapes by leading his group--selfish, all for himsef..then learns to love others and himself.

The musical numbers are GREAT! Prince and the Revolution, Time, and other groups--WOW!

You can watch it just for the music and showmanship and also for some great sex scenes! Prince is 5’2” of raw sexual power. And how can he rid that huge motorcycle in high heel boots? Zowie!
on April 29, 2016
I had not seen this movie in a least 10 years and now watching this movie with Prince dead was a whole different perspective. I still knew every word but I paid attention to new details and just savored every song, every scene. This is not for kids, even though I saw this for the first time when I was 7. The soundtrack is phenomenal. The plot is pretty solid but like I said I was watching this the day Prince died and I was not watching it to critique the plot but to comfort my soul on the loss of an icon. I forgot how awesome it was to watch bands dance as they played their real instruments. Brilliant as always. If possible, you will cry purple tears.
on May 1, 2016
I saw Purple Rain about 27 times when it first came out in 1984. As soon as I heard the news of Prince's death, I pulled out my VHS copy, but the tape was ruined. I am so happy that amazon had it for me to purchase. I've watched it only 2 times so far, because I am really mourning his death. I loved Prince and I always will. I give Purple Rain the highest rating there is. R.I.P
on April 23, 2016
For its time the story was riveting but pretty simple. Prince was so much better as an actor than I had expected. Applonia was just a horrible actress but she is so gorgeous that I am sure many folks didn't care about her acting chops.

Since I was in my early 20s when the movie was first popular it holds a special place in my memory. I had to have seen it another 3-4 times in the first year after my initial viewing. Goodness knows how many times I have watched it since then. I remember rushing out to get the album after my first experience at the movie theater and me and my girlfriend (whom I saw it with the first time) would talk about it often.

I came from a very violent environment as a kid especially since both my folks were hellish alcoholics with my father beating my mother often, therefore, certain scenes in the movie were particularly striking to me. And for those people who weren't raised in the same environment I can say with true honesty that the cast did a brilliant job of reenacting the life that 'survivors' such as I went through. The music moved me to tears. I never had any question that Prince lived through this semi-biographical story with honesty and integrity.

The pent-up frustration and anger that Prince displayed in the movie were so real. I remember acting the very same way many times as he did in his portrayal as 'the kid'. I could go on and on in detail of the many aspects of the film that were so real to me but I believe the best thing for anyone to do is watch the movie. Ignore Apollonia's performance weaknesses and view the film with the vision that was intended.

The music will remain one of the greatest soundtracks/albums of all time. I was only asked to comment on the movie at this point therefore, all I can say about the album is ... lust, heartbreak, fear and love must have been the driving force, just like real life.

Hugs and Kindness to all,
Lydia
on July 1, 2016
Purple Rain is a cult classic and is the best Prince movie. It never gets old and still moves and resonats after all of these years.
The acting was so good that you really believed that this was Prince's biography. Althought it was loosely based on his life, fact or fiction, Purple Rain will always be one of the greatest rock movies ever made. The wardrobe, the cinematography, the music, and the Minneapolis backdrop and culture of that time all created the perfect purple storm of musical genius. Rest in Power Beautiful One!
on May 10, 2016
I remember watching this movie when I was a teenager. I always loved Prince's music and had a huge crush on him!

The music performances in this movie are wonderful! I have watched it over and over just to see Prince and The Revolution perform. The Purple Rain soundtrack brings me back to 9th grade everytime I hear it. Hard to believe Purple Rain is 32 years old! Man this movie could have been an A+ if Prince's love interest Apollonia's acting was realistic, or if the casting director casted someone who could actually deliver a line. It is painful to watch her at times her acting is so bad. Purple Rain is and always will be a classic and no matter what, Prince was mesmerizing and we will always feel his absence. :((
on March 16, 2017
This movie takes me back to the days when I lived in Mpls/St.Paul in the 80s and Prince was just busting out everywhere. Seeing First Ave again as it was in my memory rather than how it looks now and remembering the camp outs for tickets to his concerts, lots of partying and dancing to music that truly was MUSIC! Such fond memories!
on May 7, 2016
What a sad sad time for family, friends and fans. Prince was part of my life in the 80's. It was always so exciting to hear his music that was very uplifting. Purple Rain was obviously my favorite. We see these stars and we feel like they will live forever and its so sad to see them pass away at such young ages. I hope the reason for his demise is reported soon. I have followed all the stories and haven't believed any of them. Once test results come we will know the true reason. Anything otherwise is written to sell magazines and not even the truth. Prince was such an icon and gave so much to the fans. To trash him after his death is disgraceful. The truth will come out and we can laugh at those who chose to slam an icons reputation. A reputation he worked so hard to get. He seemed to be a wonderful person and accomplished so much in his life time.

I look forward to the release of new music that he left behind. I know in my heart they will all be successful.

Prince will be missed.

Rest in peace Prince and know your are being missed.
on July 4, 2016
I have always been a Prince friend since he begin his music career in 1978, he was an interesting individual and I will miss his work. I will miss seeing him on TV and I believe he was going to do even greater things in the later years of his life. The CD was of extremely good quality, the only thing I found a little annoying was the caption that would appear during the movie, other than that it was looking at movie when first put on the big screen. RIP Prince, and great job amazon.