Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
Put the Needle on the Record: The 1980s at 45 Revolutions Per Minute Hardcover – September 28, 2011
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"One of the best books for the ultimate music fan."
- Rolling Stone
"If you miss the 80s, or missed the 80s, buy this book." - --NY Post
"A magnificent and important release.....97/100" --- Peek-A-Boo Magazine
"Dazzling eye candy. Outrageous, hot-hued, ironic and, above all, erotic."
- The Seattle Times
"A lively blast from the past. See the sound."
- St. Petersburg Times
"A nostalgic treasure trove." --- Modern Tonic
"Terrific...the perfect gift for the music fan in your life."
- Scene Magazine
"A conversation-starting coffee-table book...instantly engaging." --- CoolCleveland.com
"1980s single cover art was cheeky, sexy, punchy, and glam. Matthew Chojnacki vividly chronicles the best of the bunch, illuminating the way music looked via comments from rock stars and art directors with a strong eye for the visual." --Michael Musto, The Village Voice
"Brilliant. Insightful. Revealing." --Nina Blackwood, MTV
"The 1980s. The spin point of a time where the collision of art, culture, class, nation, and government was fueled by the steroids of technology. Put the Needle on the Record is a great read on an era that many consider the new '60s." --Chuck D, Public Enemy
"Put the Needle on the Record proves that the '80s wasn't the decade that taste forgot - but rather the era where single artwork came of age and caught up with its LP predecessor... before CDs changed the landscape for good." --Jason Draper, Record Collector Magazine
"As a dyed in the wool, long-term record collector, I loved this survey of picture sleeves from the 1980s. This decade was really the end of the vinyl singles period as we know it, and these images were ephemeral icons that would be lost in the mist of time without this kind of labor of love." --Terry Stewart, President & CEO, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
"Modern day cover art simply cannot compare with sleeves from the '70s and '80s. Mainstream record labels began making the quickest images in the cheapest way possible, and we lost sight of appreciating art for its artistic value. Put the Needle on the Record, thankfully, examines these lost '80s gems. Life is beautiful." ----Mr. Brainwash
From the Author
- Watch the trailer for Put the Needle on the Record! Click on "Visit Amazon's Matthew Chojnacki Page" in the "More About the Author" section below.
- Paris Book Festival Award (2012: Anthologies, 1st Place)
- San Francisco Book Festival Award (2012: Anthologies, 1st Place)
- New England Book Festival Award (2012: Anthologies, 1st Place)
- DIY Book Festival Award (2012: Art/Photography, 2nd Place)
- USA Book News Awards (2012: Popular Culture, 1st Place)
- USA Book News Awards (2012, History - Media/Entertainment, Finalist)
- USA Book News Awards (2012, Interior Design, Finalist)
- Next Generation Indie Book Award (2012: Coffee Table Book/Photography, 1st Place)
- Next Generation Indie Book Award (2012: Best Overall Design, Finalist)
- National Indie Excellence Book Aawrd (2012: Art, Finalist)
- National Indie Excellence Book Award (2012: Interior Design Non-Fiction, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Art Book, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Coffee Table Book, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Overall Book Design, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Interior Layout, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Cover Design, Finalist)
- Midwest Independent Publishers Book Award (MIPA) (2012: Book Marketing, Finalist)
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Vinyl is still out there with DJs spinning and collectors appreciating the frameable designs. Although I enjoy the convenience and over-abundance of a digital library, you cannot let go of true analog sound and the tactile sensation of enjoying a revolution (33 1/3 or 44.77 see: [...]). There's something to be said about a delay of instant gratification, digging for the music, searching for a yellow adapter, putting the arm on the right groove.
Matthew exhibits a lot of credibility detailing his own collection, artist tid-bits, and retrospectives by timeless Nick Rhodes and cutting-edge Jake Shears. Not to sound like a broken record, I found myself mesmerized by the history, trivia, as well as versatility of International jackets. Taking it a step further, I recommend pairing the book with YouTube or with Technic to listen to the music while reading each page to reacquaint yourself with a unique era. A collector myself - I was still entertained by the unique artwork depending on the country of origin as well as discovering/re-discovering new tracks/deep cuts. Would love to see a Volume 2!