Customer Reviews: Pyle-Pro PMKS8 U-Base Gooseneck Desktop Microphone Stand
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 26, 2012
This microphone stand is cheap, and it does a good job holding a large microphone steady. However, I purchased this stand so the microphone could be extended forward towards me, perhaps hanging a little over the desktop. Unfortunately, the gooseneck as pictured on Amazon is much longer than the one I received. My gooseneck is approximately 7" long; the one pictured in the ad is at least 12" long (See the user pictures I posted at the top of the listing).

I did try a 12" gooseneck with this stand, and it was unstable with my 1-pound microphone. So, Pyle probably decided it was too unstable and substituted a shorter gooseneck. Amazon should update the picture to show what you will actually get. Just be aware the stand might not be as adjustable as you might think.

Someone else pointed out that the base casting looks like a science experiment. I couldn't agree more! Even the Romans made prettier castings than this!
review image review image review image
on July 27, 2010
I sing live over the internet, and use a microphone on a stand. Most mic stands have a heavy, round base. The problem with these is, if the mic is extended toward you on a boom or gooseneck, the stand can tip over. The Pyle Pro stand is unique with its weighted, u-shaped base. This places the center of gravity toward the back of the stand - the result is you can have a mic extended toward you with no worries of tipping.

The only caveat is that the included gooseneck is the only support you can use for your mic. Unlike other stands that use a standard thread in the base for various supports, the thread in the base of this unit is the same as that you normally would use to attach a microphone to.
on May 6, 2013
I like to record guitar and vocals in front of my computer - there's an image. However, it's always been difficult sitting close enough to reach the mouse, while holding a guitar (which is plugged directly into a mixing board) and have a mic stand in front of me. Too many items, not enough space. So when I saw this item, I thought I'd give it a try.

It's a very good mic stand. Solid, heavy, nice materials. The neck takes some effort to shape into place (which is a great thing) because once in place - it stays there! My mic is skinnier than some, so at level or angled upwards it has no issues staying in place, but when angled down at all it slides...not an issue with the item - just my mic - and it's an easy fix with some electrical tape.

I would highly recommend this item for both its quality and because it is incredibly practical for anyone playing/recording in front of their computer.
on August 23, 2011
I admire the fact that the base is so heavy, allowing it to not tip over, but the snaking metal is hard to maneuver and point in the direction you want. The other problem I have with it is that the mic grip doesn't seem to want to stay in place. Unless you get it at just the right angle, it just pivots forwards or backwards of its own accord. It's good in concept, but I'd like to see it be more flexible and have a sturdy grip on the mic.
on December 24, 2012
Bought two of them for my podcast. Used with Shure 48 microphones. You may have to tighten your clips to hold your mics in place (which has nothing to do with the mic stand itself) but I've had no issues with these. They're heavily-weighted and I've never had them fall over. Actually looking to buy a few more, would highly recommend them.
on January 23, 2015
This is a VERY sturdy mic stand. Some are complaining about the height not being as claimed, but if I take a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the base to the top of THEIR MIC ATTACHMENT as it is arranged to be perpendicular to the gooseneck (like their photo, but with the gooseneck straight) ... I measure 12 inches. I think that whether or not you like it is a matter of whether it fits your individual needs/requirements. The base is quite heavy. The gooseneck is very firm and definitely takes two hands to maneuver - but this is the same characteristic that will keep it from bending to the weight of a microphone in a way that you might not want. I count it a good thing. The (very sturdy) gooseneck is about 7.5 inches long from end to end, not counting the threaded ends. The base itself is a painted and highly textured die cast metal. For whatever reason, I immediately thought about rust when I received it (perhaps because it reminded me of wrought iron) and I looked down into the base and yes, the threads in the base were already rusting. I took some WD-40 and a paper towel and cleaned that out first (it was pretty dirty, it took a few passes), then sprayed the threads of the gooseneck before attaching it to the base. I had no problems attaching the gooseneck to the base, and no problems with attaching another microphone holder that I have to the top end. The threads are the standard microphone threading of 5/8 inch, 27 threads per inch. And yes, because there is no jam/lock nut included, your mic clip may end up in a wonky position or "unthread" itself if the positioning is not right. I don't have any spare lock nuts but intend to purchase a couple of them with another order from another site that sells them. Then I figure this little stand will be pretty much perfect for my needs, and at a very low price for the quality.
on February 9, 2012
I typically don't like Pyle-Pro products, but this wasn't electronic so I figures how could this fail me? Well. It doesn't. Still using it now, had it for almost a year. Very sturdy. Has little foam things on the bottom so it doesn't scratch my wood. Has the standard attachment size so I could connect my shock mount. Sleek looking. Great price. Good buy!
on February 13, 2016
Bought this because I was looking for an alternative to the small tripod type stand that came with my MXL 990 mic. this thing is really stable and the gooseneck seems strong enough to stay in place until you move it. It comes with a mic holder that fits some mics but doesn't fit the 990. To make that work I swapped the existing mic holder for one designed to handle the 990. The same swap should work for other things since the end that the shock mount connects to is a standard 5/8" connection.

I may add some type of mat underneath the stand to dampen things further. My desk is rather bad for transmitting vibrations. I'll do a bit more testing before deciding that.
on January 22, 2011
I bought this to use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech-recognition software. It works a lot better than a typical desktop stand as it gets the mic close to my mouth despite the presence of the computer's keyboard between me and the mic stand. I was concerned that it might not be heavy enough to do that without tipping over as I'm using it with a Sennheiser 431-II mic, which is a relatively large and heavy microphone. However, it has proved to be up to the task, even with the head of the mic extended nearly a foot forward from the tip of the base, provided that the mic is directly in front of the base (it will tip if moved to either side of the base). It's very stable.

My only quibble is the roughness of the casting of the base, but that's purely looks and doesn't effect function. The gooseneck is of very good quality, but the mic clip is just OK -- I replaced it with the larger and sturdier clip that came with my Sennheiser mic.

Note that as of January 2011, Amazon was selling this mic stand for only $7.00, considerably less than what other sellers were charging. To find the Amazon price, look under "other sellers," add it to your cart, and then go to your cart and click on the item. It's annoying that Amazon now makes you do that to find the best price. Or try clicking here: [...]
on October 30, 2012
The first one I received had only one threaded end on the gooseneck, rendering it useless. I returned it and got a replacement. That package contained TWO goosenecks! Seems like a quality control issue. I use this stand in front of a guitar amp and really like it's adaptability for that. The casting of the base is a little rough, which doesn't matter in my case, but might be an issue on a desktop. I'd buy another one, but not if i was in a hurry to use it b/c it's hard telling what'll be in the package when you open it, but it is a good product overall.