BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2323 comments| 655 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review image review image
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
review image review image
88 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2017
The pour spouts are short and stubby, and not at all like the pyrex measuring cups of yesteryear.

The smaller 1 cup and 2 cup ones are not so bad, since it's a small volume to be poured out, and it exits rather quickly before the design flaw of the pour spout kicks in.

But the larger one? It might as well be a dribble glass. I just use the 2 cup one twice when I need larger quantities. The larger one might work better with thicker things like pancake batter, though I haven't tried it to see. However water, broth, milk and other "regular liquids" all don't work well in it at all.
on April 4, 2016
I bought this to replace an Anchor Hocking 2-cup that the graphics wore off of making it useless. I have another Pyrex 2-cup that was just as old yet still displayed strong measurement graphics, so I bought another Pyrex instead of an A.H. The Pyrex's handle is also more comfortable to use than the A.H.

9/2/2016 Edit: After using this a few months I have come to realize that this particular Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup is not really safe for prolonged use in a microwave oven. After suspecting something was different, I tested this characteristic by filling both my 10+ year old Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup and this new one with 12 ounces of bottled water from the same container and placing both of them into a 1250W Panasonic Microwave, opposite of each other, equidistant from the turntable center with the handles to the outside. I then heated them at 100% power for 4 minutes. The water started boiling in the old cup about 15 seconds before it started boiling in the new cup. After the 4 minutes elapsed, I opened the microwave and re moved each cup. The handle on my old cup was barely warmer than when I started, whereas the handle on the new Pyrex cup was almost too hot to grasp without a glove.

The results of this unscientific test, along with my visual observation that the glass of the new Pyrex cup has a GREEN tint when viewed edge on, while my old Pyrex cup is clear in color viewed from any angle, have led me to deduce that the new Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup that I received from this order may have been manufactured from recycled glass that is contaminated with foreign matter making the glass less transparent to microwaves than my old Pyrex cup is. This means the glass in the new cup is absorbing some of the microwave energy which is why it took longer for the water to boil in it and also why its handle got disturbingly hot.

I WILL NOT USE THIS NEW PYREX 2-CUP GLASS MEASURING CUP IN ANY MICROWAVE ENVIRONMENT. In my line of work (lab) I have experienced "microwave safe" glass items actually shattering while being heated in a consumer grade microwave oven. Can be a safety concern.
on July 14, 2016
I love this set! I just got this today and it happens to be my husbands birthday. We were able to fit his favorite cake mix in the larger cup with room to mix! This was so nice because my 5yr old son loves to cook and help in the kitchen. The pour spout and handle were very convenient for him and allowed him to pour the batter in the cake pan. The Prime Day price was also awesome. I am very happy with this purchase.
I am looking forward to making many cakes, cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, and anything else that i need to make batter for!
review image
on October 5, 2016
 These glass Pyrex measuring cups are wonderful. I was looking for a cup and 2-cup set, and found this set that includes a 4-cup as well. The price of these cups are wonderful for what you get. The 4-cup is fairly large and the glass is very thick with sturdy handles. These 3 cups nestle inside each other reasonably. The 4-cup is shorter in relation to the 2-cup. I was leery of ordering them due to them being glass and arriving broken, but they were packed very well. I enjoy the 4-cup more than I thought.

Pros
sturdy heavy glass
3 different cup sizes
nestle within each other reasonably
Great for bakers

cons
The 4-cup does not have 1/4 measurements, but does have 1/3 measurements
the 4 cup is fairly large and might not be suitable for some
Some might not have adequate storage space
on January 5, 2017
After our dishwasher destroyed several measuring cups (we haven't figured out the temperature stuff in the new house just yet), I wanted to replace some of our nicer pieces. This set seemed to have the right variety of measuring cups for our needs. The bigger one is great to reduce on dishes that we need to clean since it can be used as a mixing bowl too. The measurements are clear and easy to use as opposed to an Ikea version we bought a while back that has transparent lettering against a transparent plastic. They are glass so there is a little heft to them, but that's what we wanted. Afterall, it's Pyrex so you kind of know what the great quality you're getting.
on November 30, 2016
I love Pyrex measuring cups. I've had a 1-cup measure for years, with no chipping or print loss. In comparison, another brand of borosilicate glass measuring cups I bought 8 years ago has lost almost all its markings, making it very difficult to get accurate measurements. I purchased this set as a replacement for that set.

The one-cup is identical to the older 1-cup I have. I like that the 2-cup is narrower than the other brand, and the 4-cup is shorter and wider. The cups nest well together for storage.

My one problem is that the 4-cup does not pour neatly. I have to be very careful how I position the cup, to be sure the contents land inside the proper vessel, and not all over the counter, stovetop, or floor. Other than the spout problems, I like this set, and look forward to many years of accurate measuring.