Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members Star Wars movies on sale for Prime members  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2424 comments| 676 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review image review image
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
review image review image
88 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 17, 2017
I couldn't decide whether or not I should purchase this product basically because I was worried about it arriving intact. After all it would have to travel all the way to the middle of the Pacific ocean but, the deal was so great I just couldn't pass it up. My parcel arrived yesterday as estimated and I was overwhelmed and pleasantly surprised with the outstanding care and intricate packing done by the Amazon people in order to fill orders like mine. The box and it's contents were in such perfect condition as if it was sent from right next door. Unbelievable... all that worrying for nothing! I am a big fan of Pyrex and have several pieces some of which are over four decades old and still functioning for their intended purposes. I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants quality at an affordable price and likes to buy products that can service them and last for a lifetime. Thank you and hats off to the diligent workers in the packing department who obviously take pride in what they do. They take packing to an art form...good job guys!!! Very impressive!
on May 23, 2017
Disappointing! C'mon, how can you screw up a measuring cup? I mean it's just one piece with no moving parts. Millions have been made over the last fifty years (at least), which means the design should be refined to perfection. But no, this one has two serious flaws. First, as I was unpacking the measuring cup, I almost cut myself on the sharp edges at the bottom of the handle (where your pinky finger normally rests). It wasn't cracked or chipped, but careless manufacturing left the end of the handle very sharp - easily sharp enough to draw blood. Fortunately, I have some diamond sharpening stones which I used to grind off the sharp edges a bit. Then, I noticed the tiny spout other reviewers mentioned. While I won't say it's unusable as another reviewer claimed, I will say you have to pour more slowly and carefully than should be necessary. Printed on the cup is "Made in USA," which I frankly find embarrassing.
on October 31, 2017
I bought this 3 piece Pyrex liquid measure set to replace other Pyrex cups I had for over 25 years, one of which finally chipped on the rim and the other finally shattered when I dropped it onto the floor. The new addition was the one cup measure that I had never had before, and I love it!

I like that the 4 cup measure is now shorter and squatter that my old one. I frequently mix batters right in the 4 cup measure to make them easy to pour out (in measured amounts, which cannot easily be done with just a mixing bowl), and the new shape makes the cup work more like a mixing bowl. I haven't used a hand mixer in it yet, but I don't see why I couldn't.

Of course, like all Pyrex they withstand hot, cold and the dishwasher, and being glass they come clean easily and don't stain. I love being able to heat things right inside them in the microwave.

I like this set so much that I bought another for our travel trailer. They stack, which makes them space saver, too.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2017
They're the 'world' kitchen model with metrics covering one whole side. I'd liked to have found them with standard system on both sides, avoid having to twist it around to see my mark. But the ad tells you so, so no no penalty.
The 1-star hit is for the graduations. Some of the larger units, like the cups and half cups, should be a little larger - it can be hard to read for some. And they have the room for it. Otherwise the lines and characters are pretty bright and easy to find.
They're definitely Pyrex the real deal. You feel like you could hammer a nail into the wall with them, but of course you'd never try that.
on October 5, 2016
 These glass Pyrex measuring cups are wonderful. I was looking for a cup and 2-cup set, and found this set that includes a 4-cup as well. The price of these cups are wonderful for what you get. The 4-cup is fairly large and the glass is very thick with sturdy handles. These 3 cups nestle inside each other reasonably. The 4-cup is shorter in relation to the 2-cup. I was leery of ordering them due to them being glass and arriving broken, but they were packed very well. I enjoy the 4-cup more than I thought.

Pros
sturdy heavy glass
3 different cup sizes
nestle within each other reasonably
Great for bakers

cons
The 4-cup does not have 1/4 measurements, but does have 1/3 measurements
the 4 cup is fairly large and might not be suitable for some
Some might not have adequate storage space
on January 5, 2017
After our dishwasher destroyed several measuring cups (we haven't figured out the temperature stuff in the new house just yet), I wanted to replace some of our nicer pieces. This set seemed to have the right variety of measuring cups for our needs. The bigger one is great to reduce on dishes that we need to clean since it can be used as a mixing bowl too. The measurements are clear and easy to use as opposed to an Ikea version we bought a while back that has transparent lettering against a transparent plastic. They are glass so there is a little heft to them, but that's what we wanted. Afterall, it's Pyrex so you kind of know what the great quality you're getting.