Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2323 comments| 655 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review image review image
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
review image review image
88 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2017
I would have given this set a five star rating, but my 4 cup measure came without any printing on it at all. It is a clear glass handled pitcher! It's the only one with a defect and I have other 4 cup measures, so I decided to keep it. I was surprised, since I've come to depend on the quality of Pyrex. This set may have been seconds, since the price was so good. At any rate, the other measuring cups are totally satisfactory and I use them daily. I love the open handles; it makes nesting them together an easy task and frees up valuable cabinet space.
I recall an article years back that Pyrex was discontinuing these "old fashioned" measuring cups. I am so glad they did not. I finally broke my 2-cup measure after a hard drop a few months ago after 20 years of regular use. I was so relieved they still existed. You really don't need any other measuring cups despite all the bells and whistles they claim, they aren't as durable and useful as the gold standard-Pyrex borosilicate its strongly tough kitchenware, no home is complete without.
on February 19, 2015
I love my pyrex. The only issue I have with these is the pour spouts. I do not understand what is going on with the design and manufacturing of any kind of container or cup or pot that has a pour spout. Lately it seems like they all run down the side instead of a nice clean stream from the spout into the bowl or cup or what have you. Very irritating. I just make sure I get them completely over the bowl I am pouring into and pour quickly to keep it from going all over my counter. Its not terribly bad just a nuisance. Other than that I love the large bold lettering making it easy to see and measure and the glass is great quality and very durable. I have already clinked them together on many occasions without meaning too and not a single chip or crack. Very Happy with them. So the four stars is for the pouring problem.
on May 5, 2017
These measuring cups are wonderful. I had three quart ones that I have used for years in making bread. I had given 2 away when I quit making bread for a while then realized how much I missed them. Had to get some more. When my kitchen is remodeled and has more room I will be ordering at least one more set. I like glass so much better than metal or plastic. You can put it in the dishwasher and it comes clean. Does not stain like plastic, and food does not stick like it does in metal. Love them.
on October 24, 2015
While these are great measuring cups the handles are a little hard to grasp well and the pour spout isn't the best, sometimes the pour out is sloppy, sometimes neat, guess it depends on the angle it is being held at. They will serve their purpose in my kitchen but I just have to remember to be more careful with anything hot or heavy.
on February 11, 2015
I just need about three more. These measuring cups are sturdy beyond belief and are completely machine washable (which is a MUST for me). I use mine for everything, from melting butter, to (their actually designed purpose) measuring objects, to having a way to pour more precisely. I always feel that I need to clean it immediately because I need it for something else.