Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
668 helpful votes
669 helpful votes
2323 comments|Report abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
113 helpful votes
114 helpful votes
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
176 helpful votes
177 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
254 helpful votes
255 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on February 29, 2016
I really, really wanted to love this.

I purchased this 3 Piece Pyrex set as a gift for my sister. In spite of the warning that 2-3 extra days of processing might be required, this set arrived within 3 days of the original purchase date, which is nice.

However, it's the product I have a major issue with. The 2-cup measuring cup is warped. Near the handle, the glass seems is unusually curved on the inside of the glass. Rather than a smooth surface, I can feel a noticeable bump as I run my fingers along the surface. This is an issue for several reasons:
1. I really don't want to give her something defected as a gift. Now, whether I give Pyrex another shot or find another brand, she will be receiving a late gift.
2. It is aesthetically displeasing. At certain angles it gives the lettering a distorted appearance, and just looks weird.
3. Given the defect, I'm really not sure if it is refrigerator/freezer/microwave, etc. safe anymore.

On the 4-cup measuring cup, I feel a similar bump, but it is significantly less noticeable and tangible.

The Pyrex measuring cup is the brand that my mom has been using for the last 10 years, which is the reason why I ordered this one.
I plan to contact the seller and see if I just happened to get the lemon of the batch (which I really hope is the case), and I will update this review as needed.

As for the matter of the item's shipping, it was a box-within-a-box scenario to ensure it arrived safely. Each measuring cup was securely placed within the inner box.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on March 5, 2017
I bought this set in sept of 2015 because for all of my life (24 years) my mom has owned the same set of Pyrex liquid measuring cups. From that time until now (march 2017) they were great! Was very happy with our purchase at that time. Then this last week I went to measure some milk in my 2 cup and noticed that my lines looked a little funny. Like they had little ridges or something. I thought perhaps it was the sticker. Upon further inspection I noticed the glass was so warped! Then I pulled out my other cups and saw that my 1 cup was warped also!!

I texted my mom and she was amazed that this had happened. Like I said she had been using the same set for close to 25 years. I then started reading the reviews and seeing other people complaining that theirs had shattered when doing things like warming water or putting in the dishwasher. I investigated a little more and saw that in 1998 the company who makes Pyrex starting using a different form of glass which isn't as durable for high temperatures.

I am sad, but will be purchasing the anchor version of these even those these are rated so much higher. I can deal with a sticker pealing over them exposing in my hand.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
I couldn't believe I found 3 of these for this price. I normally have a 2 cup measuring cup.. it's crappy plastic and after a few months of use has cracked so I thought I would check out Amazon for a new Pyrex. It made more sense to buy all 3 instead of buying 1.

I've just gotten into candle making and I can see the 1 cup and 4 cup being really useful for this. The only issue I can see happening is the sudden heat change but I'll just let my wax cool a while before pouring into the cups. It's not that big of a deal... It's not like the old Pyrex, you just have to be a little more careful. If you're looking for measuring cups that can handle temp shock then you might wanna go with something else (if there is something else?). But for regular home use these are perfect!! Occasional baking, to microwaving and cooking, this will do just fine.
I get that people are upset that it's not the quality it used to be but it's still a good product at a more than fair price. In fact I didn't even know they made 4 cup measuring cups... I could mix cake batter in this thing!

As far as my personal use with these I will update when I've used them more. I will say that the handles on the 1 and 2-cup feel small in the hand and kinda awkward compared to the Pyrex I'm used to. I have small hands and I find trouble getting a good grip on those measuring cups. But the 4-cup has a nice big handle no problems with that.

I've read the reviews and seen issues with warping and I'm happy to say that there are no abnormalities in the glass. You can feel the seams on the handle but they aren't sharp. I also have no dripping problems when I pour. They are stackable too thankfully!!

I will update when I have more useful information but I'm totally happy with them for now. I think this is an awesome deal it would be a great gift to someone moving into their first home.
on May 23, 2017
Disappointing! C'mon, how can you screw up a measuring cup? I mean it's just one piece with no moving parts. Millions have been made over the last fifty years (at least), which means the design should be refined to perfection. But no, this one has two serious flaws. First, as I was unpacking the measuring cup, I almost cut myself on the sharp edges at the bottom of the handle (where your pinky finger normally rests). It wasn't cracked or chipped, but careless manufacturing left the end of the handle very sharp - easily sharp enough to draw blood. Fortunately, I have some diamond sharpening stones which I used to grind off the sharp edges a bit. Then, I noticed the tiny spout other reviewers mentioned. While I won't say it's unusable as another reviewer claimed, I will say you have to pour more slowly and carefully than should be necessary. Printed on the cup is "Made in USA," which I frankly find embarrassing.
on March 2, 2017
The pour spouts are short and stubby, and not at all like the pyrex measuring cups of yesteryear.

The smaller 1 cup and 2 cup ones are not so bad, since it's a small volume to be poured out, and it exits rather quickly before the design flaw of the pour spout kicks in.

But the larger one? It might as well be a dribble glass. I just use the 2 cup one twice when I need larger quantities. The larger one might work better with thicker things like pancake batter, though I haven't tried it to see. However water, broth, milk and other "regular liquids" all don't work well in it at all.
3 helpful votes
on April 4, 2016
I bought this to replace an Anchor Hocking 2-cup that the graphics wore off of making it useless. I have another Pyrex 2-cup that was just as old yet still displayed strong measurement graphics, so I bought another Pyrex instead of an A.H. The Pyrex's handle is also more comfortable to use than the A.H.

9/2/2016 Edit: After using this a few months I have come to realize that this particular Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup is not really safe for prolonged use in a microwave oven. After suspecting something was different, I tested this characteristic by filling both my 10+ year old Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup and this new one with 12 ounces of bottled water from the same container and placing both of them into a 1250W Panasonic Microwave, opposite of each other, equidistant from the turntable center with the handles to the outside. I then heated them at 100% power for 4 minutes. The water started boiling in the old cup about 15 seconds before it started boiling in the new cup. After the 4 minutes elapsed, I opened the microwave and re moved each cup. The handle on my old cup was barely warmer than when I started, whereas the handle on the new Pyrex cup was almost too hot to grasp without a glove.

The results of this unscientific test, along with my visual observation that the glass of the new Pyrex cup has a GREEN tint when viewed edge on, while my old Pyrex cup is clear in color viewed from any angle, have led me to deduce that the new Pyrex 2-Cup Glass Measuring Cup that I received from this order may have been manufactured from recycled glass that is contaminated with foreign matter making the glass less transparent to microwaves than my old Pyrex cup is. This means the glass in the new cup is absorbing some of the microwave energy which is why it took longer for the water to boil in it and also why its handle got disturbingly hot.

I WILL NOT USE THIS NEW PYREX 2-CUP GLASS MEASURING CUP IN ANY MICROWAVE ENVIRONMENT. In my line of work (lab) I have experienced "microwave safe" glass items actually shattering while being heated in a consumer grade microwave oven. Can be a safety concern.