Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 26, 2014
A long time ago I purchased a set of pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cup, and 4 cup. I love them and use them daily. I have found that the one that I use the most is the 2 cup. Because of how often I use this, it seems like it is always dirty. So I finally ordered a second one. But it is not the same! The markings are the same, the handle is the same, but the pour spout is different! My old one pours wonderfully; I can pour it fast or slow and it doesn't spill. The new one has a narrower pour spout. Somehow this causes it to pour down the side of the measuring cup and all over the counter instead of where I want it to go. If I pour very slowly (about the same speed as my slow fridge water), I can sometimes avoid spilling. I almost returned it after the first time I used it and I wish I had; I would rather wash the other one repeatedly while making something than use my new one. I took some pictures to post showing the change, but I cannot seem to find how to do it with this product.

Pyrex: If you change this item back to it's previous standard please let me know! I would love to purchase another that is like the old one I have! :)
review image review image
2323 comments| 657 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
Okay, measuring cups are not that complex. They have only a few things to accomplish. One is to allow you to measure liquids or dry goods. The Pyrex does this well. The lettering is clear and it does not wear off. Not being plastic, it is also not going to melt should you accidentally place it on a hot stove top (typically glass ranges).

The other job and one of major importance, is allowing the clean pouring of its contents. This is where the Pyres 2-cup measuring cup fails its intended job. Unless you pour liquids very slowly, you are going to get flooding down the cup all over your counter. I also own an Anchor Hocking 2-cup measuring cup that does not have this issue so I examined the differences in the pouring spouts.

The Pyrex spout is very small and narrow and appears to have been formed simply by pulling the rim. I'm not sure if these are made by heating and forming or whether from some mold, but it is very small, so liquids do not pass well through the spout except at very low velocity.

If you examine the Anchor Hocking brand cups in my photos, you will notice that the spouts are formed much wider and have a less-angular design. The outer edges of the spout is also higher than the upper rim of the cup. These cups pour a lot better than the Pyrex. I just thought people might like to know this because it is a difficult thing to determine without it being pointed out.
review image review image
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I bought this expecting Pyrex thermal shock resistant lab grade glass called borosilicate glass which has always been a trademark of all Pyrex glassware. I was planning on using it by heating it directly on a stove top (approx. 300C) and dropping it into ice to rapidly cool. After doing some research, I found out that Pyrex is not Pyrex anymore. Corning Inc. sold its famed Pyrex brand in 1998 to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen LLC, instead of using borosilicate glass, switched to a cheaper alternative, tempered soda-lime glass, which is still great for most of regular cooking uses. For the price of $16 which I paid for this set, it is still a good deal; however, it does not fit my purposes which require glass limiting thermal expansion. "There's no substitute for Pyrex, the original glass bakeware. Introduced 90 years ago and made of a durable, high temperature material, Pyrex remains the ideal medium for safe, dependable food preparation. Use and care: Avoid sudden temperature changes. No stovetop or broiler use. Do not overheat oil or butter. Microwave and dishwasher safe." I guess I have myself to blame for not reading the description thoroughly; however, I find the first half of that statement extremely misleading. This is NOT the product that was introduced "90 years ago." The old product could withstand stovetop and boiler use. I would have no issue with the product if it did not call itself Pyrex.
11 comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2016
I have had this measuring cup for 2 months. The red paint has already worn off below the 1 cup measuring line, rendering the thing useless for what it is intended for....MEASURING up to 2 cups of liquids accurately. I've included a photo. Of course, the lettering didn't wear off enough for me to notice until it was too late to return. I had a Pyrex measuring cup for 16 years until it's letters wore off...which lead me to buy this one...They must have lowered their standards. Blah.
review image
on December 11, 2015
"i rececently perchased a pyrex 2-cup measurring cup and it exploded" I used it ,washed it the put it away , hours later we hear an explosion in the cabinet to fine out its the new pyrex measuring cup,, would have never expect it to happen
review image review image
44 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
I bought this measuring cup less than 2 years ago to replace one I'd had for 20 years that chipped after I dropped it. I'll admit I wasn't too keen on purchasing pyrex since there are known quality issues with the glass. I never thought the writing would be first to fail though. I posted pictures to show how it's just coming right off. Every time I wash it more comes off. You can even scrape it off with your fingernail. It's now useless. Maybe I can scour the Goodwill for a proper measuring cup made before World Kitchen LLC started manufacturing.
review image review image
88 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2016
Just used the large 8 cup for the first time this morning to make pancake batter. When I was done I set it in the sink with some warm water and soap to soak while we ate. Then came back to clean up. Was running the water and washing a spoon over the pyrex 8 cup, when it basically exploded inside my sink. Scared the crap out of me. I'm glad I was wearing my glasses as it exploded enough to end up with glass on my counter and in the sink next to it. I was not even touching it, and the water was not that hot. It was cool enough for me to have my hands under it for an extended period of time while washing my spoon. Definitely not your mother's pyrex. I have one that I've had for 20 years and it's still going strong. I got this set because I wanted the big one. Now i's broken after it's first use, just from running water.
on February 29, 2016
I really, really wanted to love this.

I purchased this 3 Piece Pyrex set as a gift for my sister. In spite of the warning that 2-3 extra days of processing might be required, this set arrived within 3 days of the original purchase date, which is nice.

However, it's the product I have a major issue with. The 2-cup measuring cup is warped. Near the handle, the glass seems is unusually curved on the inside of the glass. Rather than a smooth surface, I can feel a noticeable bump as I run my fingers along the surface. This is an issue for several reasons:
1. I really don't want to give her something defected as a gift. Now, whether I give Pyrex another shot or find another brand, she will be receiving a late gift.
2. It is aesthetically displeasing. At certain angles it gives the lettering a distorted appearance, and just looks weird.
3. Given the defect, I'm really not sure if it is refrigerator/freezer/microwave, etc. safe anymore.

On the 4-cup measuring cup, I feel a similar bump, but it is significantly less noticeable and tangible.

The Pyrex measuring cup is the brand that my mom has been using for the last 10 years, which is the reason why I ordered this one.
I plan to contact the seller and see if I just happened to get the lemon of the batch (which I really hope is the case), and I will update this review as needed.

As for the matter of the item's shipping, it was a box-within-a-box scenario to ensure it arrived safely. Each measuring cup was securely placed within the inner box.
on March 5, 2017
I bought this set in sept of 2015 because for all of my life (24 years) my mom has owned the same set of Pyrex liquid measuring cups. From that time until now (march 2017) they were great! Was very happy with our purchase at that time. Then this last week I went to measure some milk in my 2 cup and noticed that my lines looked a little funny. Like they had little ridges or something. I thought perhaps it was the sticker. Upon further inspection I noticed the glass was so warped! Then I pulled out my other cups and saw that my 1 cup was warped also!!

I texted my mom and she was amazed that this had happened. Like I said she had been using the same set for close to 25 years. I then started reading the reviews and seeing other people complaining that theirs had shattered when doing things like warming water or putting in the dishwasher. I investigated a little more and saw that in 1998 the company who makes Pyrex starting using a different form of glass which isn't as durable for high temperatures.

I am sad, but will be purchasing the anchor version of these even those these are rated so much higher. I can deal with a sticker pealing over them exposing in my hand.
on July 30, 2017
I bought these earlier this year and at first thought they were ok, but I was spilling a good bit of liquid, thought it was me, but then I noticed that the new cup set was dribbling down the side of the cup. Especially the four cup size. I thought it was something I had done incorrectly or was not holding it correctly, pouring too fast, etc. Then I came here to the reviews to see if anyone else had the problem and low and behold, they do! Yay!, It's not just me... Boo, Pyrex your quality and reputation are now ruined in our household. They have obviously done something to change the design and not to our favor. Now I constantly avoid using the new cup set and only use my one, I'll call it "vintage" Pyrex measuring cup. I now hunt yard sales looking for the original Pyrex because in my opinion, this new stuff is not the same Pyrex.